Alternator belt tightening: how do i do it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vg_Ace

So I have the stock D15B6 1.5L on my rex. Everytime I start it up in the cold though it squeels like crazy. The smorning when I left at 5:40 I swear to god I woke up everyone in my complex. I need to tighten it I know that. Cause everytime I start driving it and rev it up it quiets down immediately. How difficult is it to do this? I looked in the chiltons and had no luck. I just need to tighten it right?

It may be a bearing on any of your belt driven pullies. A/C Compressors are notorious for this. To tighten your alternator belt slightly loosen the top bolt that secures the alternator. Should be a 12 or 14mm. Use a pry bar or large flat tip screw driver and wedge it between the alternator and the bracket until the belt is under tension, then retighten the bolt you previously loosened. Feel the belt for tension. It should have about 1/2" of play.

i had that problem on a few cars one was a bearing but the other was just a fuckin bitch cuz you had to get it just right or else it would squeal
try some belt dressing for a little bit or maybe a new belt

i had that problem on a few cars one was a bearing but the other was just a fuckin bitch cuz you had to get it just right or else it would squeal
try some belt dressing for a little bit or maybe a new belt

Yeah man, how old is the belt? cause if it's old I'd replace it.

Cut the belt and tie it like you're tying your shoe lace getting ready to play basketball...

Back