1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alternator not charging batter?

Discussion in 'Integra' started by sick2000teggy, Nov 16, 2009.

1. sick2000teggy

sick2000teggy New Member

ok i have a 2000 ls integra 5 speed...i changed the headers and my secondary o2 sensor grounded out and it blew my alternator/speedo fuse...i replaced the fuse and its not blowing anymore replaced the alternator its a new battery...i cant find out y its not charging i took it to the shop and they told me it could be my ecu? is this true? its not throwing any codes at all and im jus confused its my first integra ever owned and i dont know what else to look for help PLEASE:confused:

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Maybe related to the electric load detector(I know in older Civics it's in the fuse box, not sure about newer cars but it's worth looking into/searching for). The ECU does not control the alternator IIRC.

Also, have you checked the output voltage of the alternator? My cousin had a similar incident, but turns out he forgot to tighten down the power cable on the alternator.

3. sick2000teggy

sick2000teggy New Member

i have also heard it could be that and this one is located in the fuse box under the hood but do i have to replace the whole fuse box or can i replace the eld its self without the whole fuse box coming out

4. sick2000teggy

sick2000teggy New Member

and its putting out ZERO volts im getting nothing from the alternator but i have triple check all the wires to the alternator and still nothing but thanks for response

5. Chaggy

Chaggy New Member

you probably blew your alternator ha mine did the same thing

6. Honda20000

Honda20000 New Member

So when you connect your voltmeter to the battery's, you read battery voltage of 12 to 12.6 volts? With the engine running, try and run a wire from the battery terminal of the alternator to the "F" or "Field" terminal. This tricks some alternators in thinking the battery's are stone dead and full fields them to a full charge. This may or may not work.

7. newb

newb phresh VIP

Where did you check it to get your zero voltage reading? Also, not tryin to be a dick, but are you sure your using your multimeter right?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted