Alternator Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

P7ank5te7

Hey, I've been watching my voltage gauge and may be wrong, but I think the regulator is going bad. At idle, I'll drop to 12 volts, but hit the power window switch and it will kick up. At the same time it drops, my rpm's drop to about 500 rpms. Has anyone had this issue? I was also thinking about going with a more powerful alternator, because I'm looking at going with a bit more powerful system for my stereo. I was wondering what companies have more power, reputable alternators available to the Honda market. I am probably going to have about 1500 watts rms for my stereo between the subs and component set amps. The system recommends at minimum an 80 amp fuse, which makes me think I would need the bigger alternator. I know this sounds stupid and all but, I just figured I'd ask here before digging into something that was going to lead to more headaches. Also with the bigger alternator, I've read from one place about needing to upgrade the wire from the alternator to a 4 gauge wire. Would that have to be routed from the alternator to the fuse box or battery? Thanks -Gary

not really sure on what companies make a bigger alternator, but if you looking for that much power I would recommend installing a monster cap to your system

I was thinking of bumping up from the half farad I have also, which might be cheaper. I was doing a little more research and seen something about the ELD which regulates the alternator. I haven't had any codes from that I wonder if thats why my car idles down to almost dead at times, and it typically only seems to happen when its hot out.

Back