1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aluminum crank pully cause oil pump failure?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by blasterman87, Jul 3, 2009.

1. blasterman87

blasterman87 New Member

my b16a1 came with a aluminum underdrive pully, and ive been told that sence it doesnt have rubber in it like the factory one it wont obsorb shock, this transfering the shock to the oil pump eventually shattering it. is there truth in this?? i looked up the pully and its listed for the b16a2 and not the b16a1, and the newer a2 has a counterbalanced crank unlike the older a1.

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Crankshaft balance does not have much to do with harmonic vibrations caused by the individual strokes themselves(the vibration comes from crank flexing).

With a B16, since it has a really short stroke, I don't think it'll really be a problem. But, there's always that risk so if you just want to be sure, run a dampened pulley.

3. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

The general concensus is "dont use it". Some people have reported failures, others say its just fine.. But why run the risk? The engine was engineered with a damper, you should use the damper. They didn't put it on there for kicks.

4. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

people do a lot of things for dyno-queen engines, and removing the damper is one of them.

Be smart. Build it to make gobs of torque for its entire natural life.

5. blasterman87

blasterman87 New Member

ok, with that said, whare can i get a pully with dampers in it? does someone make an aluminum one that has dampers? ive put alot of time/money into this swap and i want it to last atleast 100k

6. awptickes

awptickes unimpressed by you VIP

Why not buy the CTR crank pulley?

7. 97hatch

97hatch ?

the ctr pulley is not a dampner either its a zero ballanced piece that has no dampening ability

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted