Am I Missing Something?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rmb2k

OK, at first I was under the impression that all I was going to have to do was buy an engine (whether it be a b18c5 or b18c1), have it put in, pay the guy for his labor, and drive away. Now, I'm under the impression that it is going to be a big hassle to even do this engine swap. Is there more than just putting it in and hooking it up? Like I've said before, I don't know about engine machanics or how difficult it would be to do this. Am I missing something here? What type of mods need to be done to my car (which is a 94 civic ex) so that it will be able to handle either of these engines. And I'm still not understanding the OBD deal. I'm sure you guys get pissed with people who ask the same questions over. If anyone knows any good websites that I read to learn a bit more info I would appreciate it.
Thanks, Ryan

Hey ryan... don't get too worried about the engine swaps... they are reasonably straight forward... as for info about engine swaps and such, just look to the top toolbar for this site, the swap listing has just what you need to know to make an informed decision about your engine choices and the articles section deals with any problems that may arise during the swap. As for this guy you have doing the swap for you, you don't need a vtec controller right off the bat as long as you have the correct ecu for the engine... the first 3 changes should be: intake, exhaust and header, that alone should free up some lost hp... then read as much as you can about your car and build appropriately from there.

ps. yes lost horsepower, stock exhaust on a civic is 1.25inch and stock teg is 1.5-1.75 inch

if you buy smart, its cake. if you are a cheap ass, it can be hard.

the EASIEST thing to do is to get the same year motor as your car.

for a 94 civic EX, get a 94 or 95 integra GSR b18c1 US motor.

it will bolt right in using the gsr mounts, gsr shift linkage, etc
and it will wire right up. the ecu will plug in at your kick panel... and the engine harness will plug in at your civic's shock tower.

the ONLY tricky part, is that the gsr uses what are known as IAB's or intake air butterlfys. basically, its like a throttle body in the intake manifold that gives the motor more midrange power. you will have to wire this up by hand. IAB's usually have a Pink/Blue wire.... simply run this and plug it into to pin A17 on the GSR ecu. you're done.

If you are un sure of other wiring, consult our obd1 wiring guide here: https://hondaswap.com/swap/viewer.php?id=57

If you buy an obd2 motor, you are going to have to re-wire a bunch of things....

Back