AMD or Intel

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That's good- stock cooling from the retail box is fine when you're dealing with a non-overclocked system. I built my box a little over 2 years ago, and it's running a P4 2.0 @ 2.5 GHz, 1.600V. The idle temperature of the CPU core sits right at 30C, and 100% load never goes above 40C. If I got off my lazy ass to flush the coolant system and refill it, I would probably run about 3-4 degrees Celcius lower across the board. It's whisper quiet too.

:)

i got a cheap heatsink/cpu fan(speeze), my cpu(AMD 1.4ghz) is at 35C and i have no case fan. from what i hear the thermaltake heatsinks are pretty good, their heat pipe(i think thats what is called) can cool as good as water cooled system but run like some $100 bucks(around price of waterblock!!).

Don't believe it when they say a heat pipe heat sink (that's still normal heat sink size) can dissipate as much heat at a water cooling system- it's just not possible. There's not enough mass to absorb all the heat, and there's not enough airflow over the the surface area of the sink to pull all the heat away. The heat pipes that Thermaltake uses just makes sure that the heat is more evenly distributed among all the mass of the heat sink, rather than concentrating it at the base like normal fin only sinks.

If you're going to use an air cooled heat sink, I would honestly recommend Alpha, Swiftech, or Thermalright (damn good sinks) over Thermaltake.

yes it is nice, prepare to spend 2-3 grand on each CPU. or how about the P4 Xeon 3.0GHz MP/4M cache. that CPU alone is over 4 grand :). sorry my dad is a complete nerd, and he tells me about all the latest stuff thats out. he builds servers as a hobby. hes got 3 of them running now at my house. one with dual 1.7 GHz P3 Xeon one with dual 2.4 GHz P4 Xeon and the lastest with dual 3.2 GHz P4 Xeon 1M cache. he's always gotta have the latest stuff(within reasonable price although i find that 1-2k is way too much for a CPU, but hey its his hobby and his money), hes gonna be building a bigger better one again soon, lol.

I was like that too- then I started to spend money on the car shortly after I got in at the end of my junior year in school. My main computer always had at least $10k worth of hardware in it- now it's more like $4k, if even that.

:lol:

okay guys.. another question.. my gf has a older dell that has a P4 1.5 processor with OLD ASS PC133 SDRAM.. its friggin insanely slow and she wants an upgrade. Should I

1) stick in another PC133, probably another 128mb or 256mb for like $30-50
2) get a new mobo and stick in a 512 DDR for 150 bucks.

at first i was thinking first option because its extremely cheap to option 2. however, would it make a significant improvement because its PC133.
then i thought about the latter and said, "it'll be more upgradeable in the future because the mobo will support 400/600/800mhz fsb and you get 512 DDR which is the current basic must have." but its soo much more than the first option. 500% more increase in price to be exact.
she doesnt use it for anything special except homework and web browsing. but it boots up EXTREMELY slow and runs programs very slowly because of the shitty 128mb.. what do you guys think?

Just get more RAM- but you really need at least 512MB to be happy with today's operating systems, and PC133 is really expensive these days. I would just upgrade. Then again, it may not be just the RAM and processor that are slowing her down- it could very easily be the hard drive too.

so you recommend just doing the SDRAM upgrade? i went to the dell site and it said her mobo can only support up to 512mb haha.. i saw some on new egg and the prices are very similar to DDR.. also, how does the hard drive effect performance? its an older hard drive with 20 gbs but only 3-4 is used and mostly its for the XP OS.. anyway, anymore times would be GREATLY appericated.

I would actually recommend that you upgrade to another complete system- but that's just me. Most computers that were built with 128MB RAM new are going to be pretty slow compared to today's standards.

The HD affects performance quite a bit- it's the slowest memory access part of your system.

If you upgrade just the RAM, you have to make sure that you get the correct type. Speed doesn't really have to match what you have in there now (all will be as fast or faster), but the chip layout has to be something that the motherboard's chipset will recognize. Double sided, single sided, 32x16, 64x8 etc- read up.

:)

thats will do.. anohter 128 should be okay right? i mean she really doesnt do much.. not even watch videos.. lol she just wants it to load a little faster and play songs and surf at the same time.. lol.. reminds me of my old packbell..

Back