amp troubles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

prelude_racer

luv them hondas
got my mtx 7500's in the car and my amo would not push the subs. immediately i thought didnt have te box wired right or a pinched wire. after rewiring the box the amp would not turn on after several amounts of problem elimination came to the conclusion that the amp was to old and died any way to revive it :(

I repair them. You did check the fuses right? Is there any indicator lights on it? Do you have a multimeter?

yes all fuses are functional i took it apart and found some rust. it used to be in my jeep and finally got brains and took it out but got water in it. i took alcohol and a rag to it but still nothing. took it to performance stores but they allways claim it broken and need to buy a new one:mellow:

Well first off, you will need a multimeter, do you have one? Do any idicator lights come on, if it has any?

If you could take a picture of the pcb that would help me to help you better. First thing would be to check if its power supply is working. You would have to hook up the amp in the car and turn it on. You would have to put your multimeter in vdc mode. Put the black lead of the meter on the - of the power input of the amp, and the positive on the output of the bridge rectifier. -|<|-|>|- If they are in a transitor form they may have this symbol on the front of them. If not, they may be diodes, and I'll have to get a detailed picture from you so I can point out exactly which ones they are. Put the red lead on each one of the pins, on one of them you should get a voltage >20 if its operating correctly. If its working I'll tell you what you need to do, if not it could be something else it wrong preventing it from turning on or it is in fact bad.

I should also mention that if you took the amp apart that there are often little peices of heat conductive plastic that people usually forget to put back behind the transistors. If there were some there, they MUST go back, these peices electrically insulate the transistor from the case while providing heat transfer at the same time.

Last edited:
Back