Amps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bl6CRX

hey, i was just wondering whats the down side to running cheap, non-big name amps...the price differnce is huge, i mean like a 1000 watt cheap amp is less than a fosgate 400 watt amp...

Those amps aren't near 1000 watts, and they have horrible Harmonic Distortion...... Do the research. You take a Legacy 1200w. amp, $200, and test it against a JBL BP1200.1, $499, and look at the difference. The JBL will put out 300% more power than the Legacy. Good isn't cheap and Cheap isn't good. You get what you pay for.

cheap amps always have a much lower RMS than a quality amp.

if you're going to go cheap, buy a sony or lightning audio off of etronics.com or best buy. they're better than pyramid/legacy/rockwood crap i've seen in the past.

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Nov 15 2003, 02:12 PM
Those amps aren't near 1000 watts, and they have horrible Harmonic Distortion...... Do the research. You take a Legacy 1200w. amp, $200, and test it against a JBL BP1200.1, $499, and look at the difference. The JBL will put out 300% more power than the Legacy. Good isn't cheap and Cheap isn't good. You get what you pay for.

Depends. I've seen no name shit win SPL competitions over good name brand stuff.... at a 1/4 of the cost to do it too.

Example???? Cheap stuff doesn't even have a decent 4ohm rating to get classified right in a comp..... Unless you are in the highest wattage class depending on what sanctioning body you compete in.

I don't even know the name of the brand of shit he used becuase it's really no name...but he hit 170 at the competition. the next guy there had rockford fosgate components and could only muster a 152.4.

Ha, I'd like to see what he was using. That couldn't have been a 170 on the dash or kick, he must have been running port wars. Also, his stuff may have been Comp stuff thats not popular for normal listening.

cheap amps rate by peak power out put... in most cases they will never hit a 1000 watts even if lightning hits your car. there put together poorly using crappy parts(in most cases) and will over heat like a mofo and lastly they will have more chances to have distortion then normal name brands.

a 1000 watt xxx amp will never = a 400 watt mtx amp
do not buy shitty amps. id buy shitty subs before i skimped on the amp.

i have run both micintosk, PG, Kenwood, Rockford, Jenson,
All amps have worked great for me i have never had a problem except for a rock ford after 2 years.
I am currently runnig 2 kenwwod amps and 3 ken subs.
I have never been happier with them adn can hear 0 destortiuon

Originally posted by ek9r@Nov 16 2003, 01:01 PM
a 1000 watt xxx amp will never = a 400 watt mtx amp
do not buy shitty amps. id buy shitty subs before i skimped on the amp.

:withstupid:

i had a cheap ass profile amp in my car for a while it was 800 watt then i took it out and put in a pg 400 watt and it hit harder and sounded 6 times better cheap amps suck balls

Shoudnt worry about spl competitions; they do whatever it takes to get the highest sound pressure, which usually means things break and dont last long. cheap amps offer super high wattage but dont often sound quite as nice as quality built amps like rockford fosgate and others.

many of the cheap 1000 watt amps only have a 8 gauge input for power how the fuck could 8 gauge be able to handel 1000 watts

:lmao: I thought of that too, I was like OMG. 8 Gauge for 1000 watts? WTF it this?

I know on high quality 1000 watt rms amps it calls for atleast 4 gauage, and its been known to run 0 gauge for overkill.

You have to remember too that there is no regulation to what the manufacturer posts on the box or amp. Home theater setups will say 1000 watts and they have to put out 1000 watts. But when a car stereo manufacturer says 1000 watts, there is no regulation saying that it has to put out 1000 watts.

There are cheap amps out there that are good amps. I have a profile 251, a 250 watt amp and I bought it thinking that it was crap, it was only 5 bucks. So I took it to a local stereo shop and had in bench tested and it actually put out 255 watts !!!

That another thing. Before you buy an amp, check reviews online and/or ask the good stereo shop to test it if they haven't already and find out what the amp really puts out.

A good amp to buy is from Power Acoustic. The Fire & Ice series comes in 3 different outputs. 1600 watts Here's a link, 520 watts (I have one), and a 300 watt version. These amps are great. When bought new they came with a 2 year warranty and they light up neon blue. These amps hit hard. I recently found one on ebay that was 300 watts and sold for $59 !!! Thats a steal.

Also, A good way to check the power is to look at the fuses on it. A good rule of thumb is 10 watts per 1 amp, thus 10 amp fuse, 100 watts.... That way if you see an amp that claims 1200 watts and only has 60 amps worth of fuses, you know it is a bonk amp.

Back