Amps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well I'm pretty into acoustics, and am into school for computer engineering (basically electrical engineering.) So heres what I conclude from what I know (and experiance).

Amps are all pretty much based off the same types of electrical theory, so it is VERY easy to produce a simple amp that lasts for 3 seconds and puts out 10000 watts. That is before it bursts into flames and retains no signal integrity.

Basically, cheap amps use cheap parts. They distort the audio signal through heat and poorly constructed electrical parts/assembly. It make make a loud noise, but that loud noise basically sounds like shit to anyone who knows what good audio sounds like. Not to mention the shitty amp won't be loud for very long at all, because will heat will destroy it's efficiency so quickly. Any piece of shit speaker/amp can be rigged to make a loud noise at a certain frequency. It really isn't hard. The QUALITY of that sound is what you pay for.

High end amps are constructed to deliver that same loud sound, with near perfection in signal integrity, and for an extended period of time (ie good parts and extremly efficient heat dispersal. This is what you pay for. And it's worth it, by far. Anyone with a brain would rather have 600watt near perfect bass for a 2 hour drive, than 1000watts of bass for 2 minutes.

As for the SPL thing, Much of it is just about speaker placement in the car and acoustics. Someone with a badass custom install and high end equipment, may just not have them in the right place and register a 100dB. Someone with some ghetto ass amp/sub setup who has them aimed perfectly will register 170. Thats just how it works

And as for personal experiance, I only have a Kicker ZR240 running my 2 kicker 12s. Most people aren't impressed at all when I tell them the wattage, they think "yea, i've got 2 1000w amps, your system sucks" But in reality, the ZR240 is actually like one of the best mid sized amps on the market. It repeatedly blows away it's wattage rating in test after test. It's just about the quality. The whole idea behind my system is quality. I have a Premier deck, my zr240 and 2 12s, and a 4 channel kicker amp running 4 Alpine SPA series surround speakers. The clarity is near perfect right to the max out on my deck. Somehow I find that more impressive that 170dB. :shrug2:

haha hope that was interesting in some way. Back to work for me. :p

Rockford is shit but besides that ALL amp makers besides MTX advertise 1000w peak power saying oh 1000 watts blah blah blah, in all reality your gettin 300-500 rms power, ESPECIALLY with kenwood and sony. these are shitty amps that never give you accurate power.....on most manufacturers take 60% of the watts and thats what your basically getting unless you see ### RMS power....

my personal experience is you get what you pay for

profile amp + Pioneer speakers = Shitty Ass sound quality

Zapco amp + Focal speakers = Bleeding Clarity

Im with everyone who is saying that you get what you pay for. Most amps are advertised for their peak power(which some cant even reach) when really what to look for in an amp is the RMS watts. I have a friend that had 3 10s in his regular cab s-10 that could easily get louder, clearer, and shake harder than an explorer with 2 12s, which is kind of hard to believe considering air space and position in the explorer. The explorer was running a 1200 watt lightning audio amp while the s-10 was running a fosgate bd1000. The lightning audio amp probably only had about 600RMS watts while the bd1000 has 1000RMS watts. One of my other friends just installed one of the most awesome systems i have ever heard or seen. He's got a '93 civic sedan with 2 Fosgate HX-2 15s and 2 Fosgate bd1000 amps!!! I don't know exactly how loud it is in db but flexes his roof and whole car when it hits hard. To sum it up go name brand and i highly recomend Fosgate bd series amps. B)

Originally posted by wngfn05@Nov 20 2003, 02:55 PM
Rockford is shit but besides that ALL amp makers besides MTX advertise 1000w peak power saying oh 1000 watts blah blah blah, in all reality your gettin 300-500 rms power, ESPECIALLY with kenwood and sony. these are shitty amps that never give you accurate power.....on most manufacturers take 60% of the watts and thats what your basically getting unless you see ### RMS power....

And exactly how would you PROVE this theory? Do you take a voltmeter and measure the power coming through it? I'd like to see the proof of this misinformation, you could sue the company for millions for basically lying you know.

no offense to anyone
but fosgate amps arent that great

Diamond Audio amps would crush Fodgate amps, and Zapco amps are the absolute shit of teh amp world

Hell, Rockford even proves themselves wrong. Look at the ratings on it..... One of my customers bought one of the Best Buy punch amps for $500, it sayed it was 1500 watts. It didn't do shit. I told him to get the certificate out of the box that fosgate gives with their amps.... Guess what..... "This amps maximum output at 14.4v is 654 watts." That shit is junk.

Originally posted by 92CivicCx@Nov 21 2003, 10:38 AM
i know loads of people that use zapco amps and none of them have problems

thats because they are the absolute higest quality amps on the market and the most expensive

Eh, I've seen some a little better.... ARC Audio is the same as Zapco but better... Designed by the same person. Brax makes HELLA good amps.........

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Nov 21 2003, 03:44 PM
Eh, I've seen some a little better.... ARC Audio is the same as Zapco but better... Designed by the same person. Brax makes HELLA good amps.........

have you ever heard of Symphnoic (sp?)

i heard they have the most powerful, most crystal clear watts ever created

NO, I'm not familiar w/ that brand.... There is a cheap brand called symphonic, but I've only seen their home audio equipment... It may not even be the same brand.

i dont think thats the right name but its something along those lines

i guess its more expensive than arc and zapco and super hard to get

well i am rockford fosgate all the way, i dont care what any one says they have always made me able to bump harder then any one on the streets that i ran into with a like set up. im not into going to shows for sound systems but i do know that every fosgate system i have seen on the sreets is almost always the winner of street shoot outs when waiting at the gas station to go out and race ;) or where ever fosgate is one of the best brands for the best prices you can get.

as for best buy, the stuff they get is not the same as every where else thats why thay have models you cant get at other normal audio shops. best by might have model "xxxS" vs an audio shop might have model "xxxsi" not real models just used for examples my point is that you need to be sure of what your geting into when going through best buy ther a good place just make sure you know what your geting into.

im strictly fosgate always and for ever, i run one dvc HE2 in the trunk of my trans am along with all fosgate cables and the amp i got i wasint happy with so im waiting for some money to buy another but even with the 350$ fosgate amp i had it was hitting harder then most of what i was seeing rigged the same way with other brand DVC's with simalr if not biger watt amps, the only reason i returnd the amp is cause i really wanted to push the DVC to its limits so now im thinking about 600$ on a fosgate amp and i should be able to run 2 fosgate DVC's with that, not sure the model though as its been a while since i have have messed with that part of my car though i do plan on running all fosgate in what ever honda/acura i end up buying be it a GS-R, LS, civic, or accord. also i know i didnt spit a bunch of facts other then the the best buy stuff as i know for 100% sure that its true that there models are some times not as good as audio stores but its also vice versa just depends on what models you talking about some of there smaller models from best buy cant be touched by the equivalent model from an audio store my point is that the proof is in the puding and i feel i have seen proof that you cant do much better for the price, you just need to make sure your making that fosgate dollar work its best for you.

On JL amps, quite expensive, but they are 250/1 means 250 rms/1. RMS is pretty much everything, I believe.

Regarding Sleepergtx' statement, about what their actual output is, its true. Take the slip, and check what the rms is. That's what matters. Like a 760 2 ch. Xplod is more around 300x1 rms area when bridged and so on.

RMS is the actual power of the signal the amp produces. It's the (root mean squared) value. It's to convert A/C power (which changes from + to - ) to an average power regardless of sign. If you just do a google search im sure they have pages explaining it.

Originally posted by 92CivicCx+Nov 23 2003, 12:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Nov 21 2003, 02:31 PM
92CivicCx
@Nov 21 2003, 10:38 AM
i know loads of people that use zapco amps and none of them have problems

thats because they are the absolute higest quality amps on the market and the most expensive

you said zaco was shit a few post back ago

Zapco amps are the absolute shit of teh amp world

as in "wow that skyline is the shit"

shit = tight

in this case

Rockford..... I wish they would have never tried to cut corners on cost.... You ever notice that their older stuff was better than their newer stuff?

Back