Amsoil 5w30 MTF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
I'm about to buy some Amsoil MTF; it costs about $8. Just wondering, has anyone used this before? I've only read one Honda-specific review on them: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243192
I personally haven't tried that stuff but I did try the Pennzoil Synchromesh and I hear that the Synchromesh, B&M Trickshift, Redline Synthetic MTF (I think that's what it's called) Royal Purple Synchromesh, the GM Synchromesh, and Amsoil MTF are all the same product. I could be wrong but I beleive I read that before when I was searching to se if Synchromesh was any good.

Anyway, if they are all the same, I wouldn't like that Amsoil MTF. I had the Pennzoil stuff and it wasn't all that great. Read my review thread on Honda MTF, that stuff is the shizzle, dizzle... my nizzle.

Yea i have Pennzoil right now in my DX transmission but it wasn't the "fricition modified' one like what everyone suggests. I just spent $20 for a nut and bolt at the dealership so I dont want to go back there...

Quoted post[/post]]
Yea i have Pennzoil right now in my DX transmission but it wasn't the "fricition modified' one like what everyone suggests. I just spent $20 for a nut and bolt at the dealership so I dont want to go back there...
My friend just put the Friction Modified stuff from GM in his tranny 2 weeks ago and he says he notices no difference from the Honda MTF he had in there before. The Honda stuff worked wonders in my tranny while the synchromesh really didn't do much, so I guess it depends on your tranny.

Quoted post[/post]]
where did you get your Honda MTF.. ?? i need to change my fluid soon

has anyboby use mobil 1..? I never have but i have heard good shit about it. will need to put new fuild in mine in about 2 weeks so i want to put the best shit i can in it.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

has anyboby use mobil 1..? I never have but i have heard good shit about it. will need to put new fuild in mine in about 2 weeks so i want to put the best shit i can in it.
DO NOT use synthetic oil in your tranny. I first started with Exxon 10w-30 in my tranny and it was ok. Got the job done but the Honda stuff worked 10 times better in my tranny. Exxon and Mobil are the same company, so if you are gonna use Mobil 1 Regular oil, just buy the Exxon because it's like half the price and it's the same damn thing.

DO NOT use synthetic oil in your tranny. I first started with Exxon 10w-30 in my tranny and it was ok. Got the job done but the Honda stuff worked 10 times better in my tranny. Exxon and Mobil are the same company, so if you are gonna use Mobil 1 Regular oil, just buy the Exxon because it's like half the price and it's the same damn thing.
[/quote]

I was not saying that i was going to use it.....i was just asking about if anyone here had. At this point i don't know what i am going to use. watching this trying to see what a general opinion is.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
uh...Honda :blink: :laugh:
how much does it run.. the guy i bought my tranny from told me to use GM synchromesh, but that shit is like 11bucks a bottle
someone told me that the Honda MTF was about $6 a quart but I paid $9 a quart. My local Honda Stealership had that shit marked up a lot. The dealership in the next city over had it for $7 a quart but I would of wasted the money I saved on gas driving out there, so in the end, it pretty much being the same price.

someone told me that the Honda MTF was about $6 a quart but I paid $9 a quart. My local Honda Stealership had that shit marked up a lot. The dealership in the next city over had it for $7 a quart but I would of wasted the money I saved on gas driving out there, so in the end, it pretty much being the same price.
[/quote]

ok chaeck this out the companys own web site states that it replaces the honda fluid. That being said .......with the liablity (sp ?) it would give it must be as good as the honda fluid right...?

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtf.aspx

Quoted post[/post]]
ok chaeck this out the companys own web site states that it replaces the honda fluid. That being said .......with the liablity (sp ?) it would give it must be as good as the honda fluid right...?
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtf.aspx
Well, Amsoil is a very respected company so i'm sure their MTF is good stuff but at the same time, your tranny has to like it. I put Pennzoil Synchromesh in my tranny and it helped me get into gears easier but it didn't help me with my 3rd gear grind at all. Others who have used the Pennzoil shit, say that it got rid of their grinds entirely. Like I said before, it more or so depends on your tranny. I know a few people who's trannies feel smoother with Exxon 10w-30 than with the GM Synchromesh. :shrug2:

I used the pennzoil synchromesh in my tranny, yellow bottle stuff (I don't know if there is a different kind). It worked well for my ls tranny. But I didn't have a super gnarly grind, just little ones every once in a while. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Honda MTF. The amsoil product you refenced was 5w30, and I recall honda specifying 10w-30, I don't know if that amsoil might be to thin, but it's probably fine.

As for synthetic oil in the tranny. Do not use it. The synchros need friction to sync the input and output shafts, so any synthetic oil with a molybdenum-based friction modifier is going to mess the friction material on the synchros up.

I use the GM Synchromesh and have been very happy with the performance. You only need friction modified if you have an LSD, otherwise, just get the normal stuff.

Quoted post[/post]]
I used the pennzoil synchromesh in my tranny, yellow bottle stuff (I don't know if there is a different kind). It worked well for my ls tranny. But I didn't have a super gnarly grind, just little ones every once in a while. I've heard nothing but good stuff about Honda MTF. The amsoil product you refenced was 5w30, and I recall honda specifying 10w-30, I don't know if that amsoil might be to thin, but it's probably fine.

As for synthetic oil in the tranny. Do not use it. The synchros need friction to sync the input and output shafts, so any synthetic oil with a molybdenum-based friction modifier is going to mess the friction material on the synchros up.

well heres is my next question then..........the amsoil is synthetic and i do not have a lsd so would it be the way to go or not...??? as it stands i will either be using GM Syncromesh Friction modified fluid or the amsoil. any thoughts on this...????

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

well heres is my next question then..........the amsoil is synthetic and i do not have a lsd so would it be the way to go or not...??? as it stands i will either be using GM Syncromesh Friction modified fluid or the amsoil. any thoughts on this...????

I was specifically referring to most synthetic automotive oils...They usually have moly in them, but there are specific fluids that do not. If the amsoil is sythetic, and specifically made for manual transmissions, it is probably safe to say that it does not have moly in it. Most motorcycle synthetics also do not have moly in them, because their tranmission, wet clutch, and engine all share the same sump. So you are probably fine using the amsoil or the GM.

I was specifically referring to most synthetic automotive oils...They usually have moly in them, but there are specific fluids that do not. If the amsoil is sythetic, and specifically made for manual transmissions, it is probably safe to say that it does not have moly in it. Most motorcycle synthetics also do not have moly in them, because their tranmission, wet clutch, and engine all share the same sump. So you are probably fine using the amsoil or the GM.
[/quote]

well i thank you for the info but i guess which one would be prefered over the other..?

just use one that works for you. If they both will do the job, just use whichever one yoou want. If you don't like the first choice, try the other one. I'd personally go with the gm synchromesh; I used the pennzoil synchromesh, it was cheap, and I have no grinds whatsoever in my shifting, so use whatever you can get that does the job. Your worst choices would be synthetic oil with a moly friction modifier or just normal 10w-30. Beyond that, it's just personal preference IMO.

Back