AN fittings and JIC fittings?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

Trying to piece together a fuel system... I need to find out whether or not AN fittings are the same as JIC fittings... these are googled images... The AN fitting is Male -8 AN to 3/8 NPT Male adapter and the JIC fitting is 3/8" 37* Male JIC to 3/8" 37* Male JIC adapter. They have a striking resemblance.

AN fitting...
AN.jpg

JIC 37* fitting...
JIC.gif

im going to guess no. they may look the same, but i bet the tapers are off.

the top one is a pipe to line fitting, the bottom is line to line (no taper = pipe fitting)

they both have tapers....the pipe thread is tapered on the threads itself. the line fitting has a tapered seat at the end of the threads. And i think npt stand for something pipe thread

my only question is about the JIC Vs. AN fitting... i know about NPT (National Pipe Thread).

I just spoke to a rep. from the Parker Haniffin Corp. I asked him whether or not the JIC 37* fitting was interchangeable with the -8 AN fitting. He said that "it's not recommended for aircraft use...". The only difference between the two are the threads. The AN fitting has 3A/3B threads and the JIC fitting has 2A/2B threads. The guy said it would be fine for pressures < 150 psi.

Here's a super interesting article comparing the two... http://www.parker.com/tfd/fittingsolutions/ANFITTINGS.pdf

yes they are interchangeable the only diffrence it the threads on an jic are more pointed and the AN have more of a radiud on them so that they are harder to crossthread i work with fluid power stuff every dan and they are completly interchangeable to at least 3000 psi is the most i have ran in the two but i hope you never see fuelpressure that high any way

They look the same, but have different flare angles.
37 degrees versus 45 degrees.
One is SAE/JIC standard.
The other one is AN (Army Navy) standard used in aviation.
Mixing them will result in improper sealing (unless you are a hulk) due to the different angles.
There is a very tough quality control standard imposed on aviation products.
The main reason for different flare angles is to prevent garden variety hardware to be installed on aircraft.
I know this as I have been in aviation maintenance for over 30 years.

YES they are

Yes, AN fittings and JIC fittings are interchangable.... Depending on how critical your application is.

AN fittings are MIL spec fittings designed for the aerospace industry, thus the materials used in them are higher toleranced, and the materials are stronger under various advanced conditions.

JIC fittings are the commercial equivilant to MIL Spec (AN) components. If installed on a car, should not be a problem. If you are blowing the moter, with high boost, high fuel pressure settings, etc, you might choose all AN for safety. But prob. not an issue.

Remember not to use teflon tape etc.

On final check is to ensure that the flares are at the same angle. As long as they are the same angle, you will be fine.

Back