And I have to call YOU for assistance???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erikespo

So I am at work last night and a city's internet went down..

So I do the normal - contact oncall techs and we narrow the problem down to a piece of faulty equipment (a gbic for those in the know) So I call Cisco because we have a service contract with them to replace any of our hardware within 4 hours. I tell the tech that there is no light coming from the gbic (for those of you not in the know, gbic stand for Gigabit interface card, this model uses light to send information over fiber) anyway, the tech assumes that i have done no troubleshooting. but i am willing to oblige him in some basic stuff.. i switch ports still no light yet the router can see the hardware obviously it is not going to work. so this tech says "can we switch it for a known working one?" If i had a spare i wouldn't be calling!!! "do you have any you can borrow" Sure if i want to take down another city! so i tell him no and no.. so he has to get get approval to have one shipped to us. and of course it does.. replaced the gbic and all is well total down time for that city was about 11 hours...

I guess my point is even though it may seem like your ISPs fault that you are down, most likely another company is holding them up.

werd. its always the man above its fault.

guy loses power.
balmes power company
power comapny dealing with cable prover.
cable provider dealing with 3rd part contractors
3rd party contractors dealing with the union

lol it never ends.

Back