And the crusade continues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
Schiavo case

more religion and "family values" in politics. Thats bull shit. If I was ever in that bed, I would hope my parents would pull the plug. That person is living her worse dream everyday.

hmmm, this is a very difficult topic to discuss...

she left no written instructions as to this particular case...
the husband says she didn;t want to be kept alive, the family says she does...
so who do you go with?

it must be so hard for a parent to let go, i can completely see why they are trying to keep her alive... and for all we know she's having the time of her life, or doesn't even know whats going on...

who knows...

Regardless of what's right here, it's pretty abhorrent that the President and Congress are beginning to meddle in this affair. There is so much seriously fucked up shit happening in our country right now, yet our leaders feel it right to take the time from those issues to deal with this. :rant:

Anyway, I'm on the husband's side in this matter. As asmallsol said, she's living her worst nightmare right now. 15 years? That's fucked up. Although, I do remember a few weeks ago where some woman who was in a coma for a long time (< 10 years) woke up, and is starting to recover.

Meh.

there have actually been quite a few people that have come out of long term comas, one was in the last couple months i believe...

and as far as the constitution and division of powers is concerned i think its absurd that this has been litigated for 15 years in the courts, many times the courts have ruled for the hubsand, and now congress can overrule the courts...
what happened to checks and balances or powers???

ooh wait...
this is amerika... there is no such thing anymore <_<

The government should NEVER step in under the pretenses of "morals and values". Our "government" is SUPPOSED to be limited to the definition of LAWS. But this is what you get when you let "a good christian man" into power. I can see where Bush feels like he HAS to intervene...

Little Georgie has to keep his constituents persuaded he's all about morals SOMEhow.

being in a comma doesn't necessarily mean she had brain damage.

this girl has severe brain damage, and can't do anything but sit there, though she's a live.

IMO, i think that if the parents want to keep her alive, they can take her home from the hospital and leave her to rot in a room.

i mean, who DOES have instructions... i know i don't. but i'll tell you this, if i can't talk or function, kill me. give me all kinds of acid and shrooms and heroin and shit, and let me go out having a fucking trip.

As for the politics side of it-- i totally agree that there is 0 need for this to be a federal issue.

either by a FAMILY lawyer, or other means, the husband and the parents need to come to a conclusion.

some times, you just gotta let go.

i think 6 months is pushing it. if you're brain dead, you're brain dead. there's no brain transplants going on. shes never coming out of that. she can't even feed her self. if she was a little more mobile, and even if she was a veggie, could still eat and what not, i'd say sure, keep her alive.

As bad as this sounds, all that keeping her a live is doing, is raising medical costs/bills/insurance premiums.

pull the plug.
move on.
shit happens.

besides the fact

if you were in a coma for 15 years would you even want to recover? fuck that

go into a coma as a hot young woman full of life with millions of opportunities and wake up a washed up old woman who can barely move because youve been doing nothing but laying there for 15 years. your whole entire life has been wasted. i wouldnt want to wake up to thats hit.

pull the plug

im a big fan of euthanasia

but i'll tell you this, if i can't talk or function, kill me. give me all kinds of acid and shrooms and heroin and shit, and let me go out having a fucking trip.

:werd:
thats exactly what i think too...
shoot me up with the biggest batch of heroin you can cook...

Originally posted by micah@Mar 21 2005, 12:26 PM
[post=476466]Quoted post[/post]​

She's not in a comma. A comma is kinda like being knock unconsious for a long time. Almost like a DEEP sleep that you can't wake from. She is brain dead and awake but can't really do anything. either way, she's living a misrible life.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Mar 21 2005, 10:49 AM-->
@Mar 21 2005, 12:26 PM
[post=476466]Quoted post[/post]​

She's not in a comma. A comma is kinda like being knock unconsious for a long time. Almost like a DEEP sleep that you can't wake from. She is brain dead and awake but can't really do anything. either way, she's living a misrible life.
[post=476479]Quoted post[/post]​

Actually, a comma is a punctuation mark, used for hesitation in sentences, Einstein. :p

I agree that they should pull the plug. She has no sense of what's going on, and all this is doing is causing more grief.

I don't think anyone would be making a huge deal over "pulling the plug". It happens everyday.

There is no on-off switch for her. The process of dying will be torturous - Starvation and Dehydration is a horrible way to go. She lasted 6 days before without the tube, during which times comfort measures were taken and an induced coma was given.

The problem here is the husband. I hope he slips in a puddle of cancer and falls into a pool of aids, that douchebag. He's not a man.

Terry had no written instructions - Like most people. She was 20 something when she "fell" (There is now lots of thought that Michael beat the intelligence out of her) and no one in their 20s even has the right frame of mind to leave those instructions.

What they have are her religious tendencies. She's not a bible-thumper, but she did go to Church regularly and live a Catholic lifestyle, and as such the Church has stepped forward to represent her faith and say "Let her live"

The POPE has passed his feelings on the situation - And they continue to ignore that.

Not only do I believe Terri should be allowed to live - I've actually donated money to the cause, and I've wiped Florida off my US Map.

Jeb stepped out of line, putting everything on the line so that she can live, George is doing the same thing, and the right people are getting together at the right time to make this happen. And were it my daughter, and I was armed with as much knowledge as her parents are - I would bring the system DOWN in an effort to keep her alive.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Mar 21 2005, 01:09 PM
I don't think anyone would be making a huge deal over "pulling the plug". It happens everyday.

There is no on-off switch for her. The process of dying will be torturous - Starvation and Dehydration is a horrible way to go. She lasted 6 days before without the tube, during which times comfort measures were taken and an induced coma was given.

The problem here is the husband. I hope he slips in a puddle of cancer and falls into a pool of aids, that douchebag. He's not a man.

Terry had no written instructions - Like most people. She was 20 something when she "fell" (There is now lots of thought that Michael beat the intelligence out of her) and no one in their 20s even has the right frame of mind to leave those instructions.

What they have are her religious tendencies. She's not a bible-thumper, but she did go to Church regularly and live a Catholic lifestyle, and as such the Church has stepped forward to represent her faith and say "Let her live"

The POPE has passed his feelings on the situation - And they continue to ignore that.

Not only do I believe Terri should be allowed to live - I've actually donated money to the cause, and I've wiped Florida off my US Map.

Jeb stepped out of line, putting everything on the line so that she can live, George is doing the same thing, and the right people are getting together at the right time to make this happen. And were it my daughter, and I was armed with as much knowledge as her parents are - I would bring the system DOWN in an effort to keep her alive.

-> Steve
[post=476514]Quoted post[/post]​

Ya know, I don't see GOD doing a lot here. She's brain dead, with a tube down her throat. Been that way for quite some time.

This is yet another attempt by the GOP and the Right to look like the good guys.

Politics... religion... seperate them or kill them both.

If it were my daughter, I would let her die. I know she wouldn't want to live like that. If it were me, put a gun to my head and empty the clip.

If GOD wanted me to live like that, let him tell me in person.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Mar 21 2005, 01:26 PM
Ya know, I don't see GOD doing a lot here. She's brain dead, with a tube down her throat. Been that way for quite some time.
[post=476520]Quoted post[/post]​

THE POPE has come forth and said to keep her alive.

What do you expect? The skies to part and God to come down and spoon her some f*ckin Ensure ?!

-> Steve

Televangelists can come onto TV all they want and claim to talk to God. This isn't Orel Roberts here, this is the POPE.

Originally posted by Celerity+Mar 21 2005, 01:44 PM-->
@Mar 21 2005, 01:26 PM
[post=476520]Quoted post[/post]​

THE POPE has come forth and said to keep her alive.

Televangelists can come onto TV all they want and claim to talk to God. This isn't Orel Roberts here, this is the POPE.
[post=476528]Quoted post[/post]​

And? Last time I checked, he's just another carbon based human lifeform like you and me.

The Church also said for people not to read The Da Vinci Code, are we supposed to be book burning now?

Follow your own decisions, not ones made for you.

What do you expect? The skies to part and God to come down and spoon her some f*ckin Ensure ?!

Yeah, that would do it.

lol. How can he be pissed, he's like 158 years old.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Mar 21 2005, 02:16 PM-->
And? Last time I checked, he's just another carbon based human lifeform like you and me.
[post=476534]Quoted post[/post]​

As was the Bible's account of Jesus. The fact that the Pontiff is based in the flesh doesn't deviate from any of the guidelines of Catholic diety, demigod or anyone of the cloth.

Sabz5150
@Mar 21 2005, 02:16 PM
The Church also said for people not to read The Da Vinci Code, are we supposed to be book burning now?
[post=476534]Quoted post[/post]​

Did they tell you to burn it ? They only said it was full of lies and should be regarded as a fictional book, as it was published. You're the one that suggested we burn it :)

Listen, I'm not at all religious, but that doesn't mean that no one else is. I don't follow preachings of god in any way shape or form - But I do know that the Constitution of the United States of America DOES. And it's a good constitution, and I've picked it as the one that I chose to live by.

To me, The DaVinci code, the Satanic Versus, Dianetics and even the Book of the subgenius is no more or less valid than the Bible, Torah or Koran. But your ability to live the life you choose, following the teachings that you choose, IS valid. And through out her life, Terri Schiavo chose Catholicism and what it represented.

-> Steve

Holy shit, if the Pope spoke out in my behalf I hope people would shut the fuck up and listen.

her brain is the consistancy of 40w, oat meal, cocoa butter....she has no upper brain function....i hope they let her pass...living in fl i hear about this all day everyday...its so sad...in FL the husband has the legal right to stop the feeding...wich they should.....

Did they tell you to burn it ? They only said it was full of lies and should be regarded as a fictional book, as it was published. You're the one that suggested we burn it :)

True, I am simply pointing out how Christians in general view ANYTHING that goes against their beliefs. They want it either destroyed or labeled as fiction. Take Darwin for example... hoooooooooo boy nothing pisses off a bible thumper like Charlie D.

Science in general is outright damned by religion. WHY? If it weren't for science, I wouldn't be able to use my computer to post this thread.

Listen, I'm not at all religious, but that doesn't mean that no one else is. I don't follow preachings of god in any way shape or form - But I do know that the Constitution of the United States of America DOES. And it's a good constitution, and I've picked it as the one that I chose to live by.

Ah but it doesn't. The Constitution of the United States makes no mention of God. By it's very nature, it can't. It simply cannot allow equal freedoms for all people to follow the religion of their choice and then turn around and favor one over the other. That would be hypocrisy.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." The first words of the first amendment. There's a reason that's in there.

The Declaration of Independance made two mentions of a supreme diety. "The Laws of Nature and Nature's God" and of course the famous "Endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights."

That could be translated a number of ways. It never mentions Christianity, never mentions God as... well... God. Nature's God could be Gaia, the Creator could be Zeus. It's there the way it is to give a wide coverage of everyone's beliefs.

How about the treaty of Tripoli, 1797... "As the Government of the United States... is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion". There it is, plain as day.

Whoever thinks that America was founded on Christianity and God have no idea what's going on.

I agree that everyone has a right to practice any religion they choose. Hell, I'll fight for your rights to do so. But goddamnit don't try to bar me from practicing my religion or science! Don't try to ban books because they don't fit in with your views! Don't take away a women's right to choose because it's not what you believe in! Don't prevent gays from marrying because in your book it says that it's an abomination! Those are YOUR beliefs, not everybody's.

Of course, your beliefs meaning Christianity in general.

To me, The DaVinci code, the Satanic Versus, Dianetics and even the Book of the subgenius is no more or less valid than the Bible, Torah or Koran. But your ability to live the life you choose, following the teachings that you choose, IS valid. And through out her life, Terri Schiavo chose Catholicism and what it represented.

A lot of it comes down to the fact that she cannot make a decision for herself. The family has to choose for her whether to pull the plug or not. This happens lots of times.

Back