and you all made fun of me for my

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well...if the car is running good, and there is no problems...then there is no worries with the "Clocked Guage". But when something is not right, either a little high or a little low, then you have to take a second glance...and that second glance is what screws your mind up. On a DD, thats no problem, cause your only going at 55 MPH. But on a circle track, those guys have been doing it for years, and they know the lay-out of their car, and they have learned from experiance what's good, and whats bad. And they know that if they mess up a tad, like lift off the accelerator, then the car behind them will not have a good chance to have time to react to the front cars movement. and that's one of the main causes of accidents on the circle track. Since everyone decide to do drafting to get a lower airflow , they have to suck up to the car in front of them. And Honestly...How many kids that drives Hondas, and post's on the internet DO circle track raceing...maybe about 2%....the other 98 % are just normal drivers or into other motor sports. The percentage of the actual drag racers is prolly about 10%, and the number of autocrosser is about 15%...the rest are just kids who just got mommy to buy them a car and they have only one goal...street racing....I'm not saying everyone here is that way...but out of all the 30,000 members here, and only about 300 of us post, there a lot of lurks that are reading and planning their awesome street machine.

That's why I point out that what real racers, pilots, and professional drivers do...is not what some 16 year old kid who justs lurks on the inernet should do. I want the main lurkers to see that safety is first. And if I made a mistake, I learned from it, and I want everone to learn from it...so that one mistake will not be repeated again. And that second glance at the guage...is deadly...cause even if your traveling at 60 mph...and you take your eyes off the road...that means that you have already traveled about 88 ft....in one sec. give or take a few feet. And anything can jump out in the way.

Ahhw ell...poppa Air is mumbling again...bedtime

Originally posted by Airjockie+Nov 29 2004, 06:49 PM-->
Keep It Simple Stupid....KISS..cars that is.

Attention to daily driving is my main point.
Which is why it makes perfect sense to clock the gauges... it simplifies reading the control panel and that should help keep one's attention to the road. Most of us are building up our cars to suit just one driver (us), and everyone's mind works a little differently anyway. I still say good points for creativity and simplification. It's going a step further with what Ji did with the gauges on his AllTrac by turning them upside down.

Airjockie
@Nov 29 2004, 06:49 PM
And also...why the hostility all of a sudden dude....lay off. You don't even know me, and you only met me once, and I didn't even talk to you. Sorry your GF has influenced you to hate me, but you don't even really know me..so lay off...no more drama is needed.
[post=423791]Quoted post[/post]​

Matt is his own man. He doesn't dislike you on a personal level, he's just not impressed by your mechanical skills, and that is all based on YOUR written words and YOUR work on my car. Just one example and from one of your own threads, last summer both Ji and Matt were both independently horrified at your sloppy sandblasting of your AE86 block.... and we all knew that you would have bits of sand floating around in that engine FOREVER. And they BOTH are disapproving of the way you drink beer and work on your cars at the same time. So it's really more about what you post on the boards than anything said by me.

Am I the only one that noticed that the tach is the ONLY gauge there that's like that? And it's not 'clocked' to 12:00 or whatever...it sits like that so that the knobs are directly on top...

My vote goes for 'form over function'....aka rice.

gauge n.

a. A standard or scale of measurement.
b. A standard dimension, quantity, or capacity.
2. An instrument for measuring or testing.
3. A means of estimating or evaluating; a test: a gauge of character. See Synonyms at standard.
4. Nautical. The position of a vessel in relation to another vessel and the wind.
a. The distance between the two rails of a railroad.
b. The distance between two wheels on an axle.
6. The interior diameter of a shotgun barrel as determined by the number of lead balls of a size exactly fitting the barrel that are required to make one pound. Often used in combination: a 12-gauge shotgun.
7. The amount of plaster of Paris combined with common plaster to speed setting of the mixture.
8. Thickness or diameter, as of sheet metal or wire.
9. The fineness of knitted cloth as determined by the number of loops per 1 1/2 inches.

Back