Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well you know you can use my rex to check what parts work and which ones dont.

Well, I'm running my a6 dizzy(obd-0), so it's wired correctly, since I'm running my harness(obd-0) and injectors.

What do you mean by which parts work and which don't?

I have all week off of work, so i've got plenty of time to mess around with it.

Threw two of my wheels on there last night just for kicks. Need springs much?? lol
(just fyi, i'm going with Omni-power 'street' adj. coilovers)

car7.jpg

car10.jpg

car11.jpg

car13.jpg

thats the actual gap. no jacks/stands. thats how it's sitting.
LOL
-Andrew

doubt i will... haha.

btw, I'm gonna get out to the Pick n Pull probably tomorrow, so if you need anything, or wanna ride with, gimme a call tomorrow. I'm thinking about going around lunchtime, maybe in the morning. idk yet, but i'm flexible.

-Andrew

bro!!!! i figured ur prob out.....this happened somany fuckin times to somany ppl....you cant use an obd0 dizzy on an 0bd1 ecu! the clicks in the dizzys are different....the crank sensor on an obd0 ecu looks for i think 16 clicks and the obd1 senses i think in the 20's....swap ur dizzy to obd1 and change ur dizzy plugs on the harness to obd1....i can gaurenttee thats the fuckin prob bro:D :D

soooo fucking true... and before you ask I dont have an obd1 dizzy andrew lol. You can get dizzy plug adapters for a pretty good price and it will save you the time and headache of messing with it yourself. Also there is no knock sensor with the obd1 sohc... however obd2a+ does have them (not sure if all but some).

EDIT: Also I dont believe there were any usdm obd0 sohc vtec motors. Wouldn't you have to be using an sohc vtec dizzy for it to function correctly?https://hondaswap.com/ecus-electronics-tuning/changing-obd0-civic-obd1-civic-29234/

Last edited:
Well thats good news fellas.
I have a dizzy from a '92 DX, as well as the dizzy adapter wiring.

I just swap[ped it out and was kinda at a stand still(right now.), basically, I don't know how it's supposed to sit.
I've got it sitting(the only way i could, only by grinding out one of the ear/ports., but it's upside-down, meaning the Flat top is facing downward, which is in contrast to my a6(i know it'll prolly be a ltitle differnt), which has the flat top facing straight up.

I'm gonna be searching around, but does anyone know how obd-1 dizzy's sit? I'm gonna look at the junkyard today, and they have a full d16z6 sitting there, so i'ma snag the dizzy off of it, so it's one made for the engine, that way it WILL fit.

Thanks!!
-Andrew

Last edited:
Found these couple of pics to maybe help me. I'll just wait and see if i can get my hands on that z6 dizzy, then i won't have any problems. (good thinkin Andrew...)

heh. thanks Lil Red Rex!
Freakin awsome help
-Andrew

GOOD CALL!!

She runs!!! YEAH!!!!!
I threw that z6 dizzy on it, and she's purrin like a kitten!
We'll time it tonight!

THanks so much fellas.
-Andrew

Haha
We got it in time. but found out that my dizzy adapter wires were made completely gay(one twist and a dot of a cold solder, then heat-shrink). so we're soldering that today, then were gonna drive it!!

-Andrew

Delayed Update. 7/30/06.

New head gasket is in, bumping me to 12.17:1 compression.

Unfortunatly....
PIC00005.jpg

I've still got a bad leak, actually a little Worse than before. I'm pretty convinced my head/deck is warped. I have the choice to either just have KMS check it for square and re-install it as-is, OR semi rebuild it.. I've listed my ideas below:

I'm gonna be talking with the guys at KMS Engine Performance tomorrow. (useing those guys b/c it's about 2 hrs away... save on shipping). I'll see if they can do a # of things for me. Heres my list so far (bold print is definitely needed):

Bottom End:
-
New Main Bearings
-
New Rod Bearings
-Clean up and Shot Peen Rods.
-Micropolish Crank
-
Bore & Hone Cylinders
-
Install Pistons/Rings. I'd like to stay with pm7/p29 pistons, and NOT bore the engine.
-Deck/Square Block
-Have entire Rotating assembly Balanced.

Basically I want the bottom end back to STOCK, with the exception of the PM7/P29 pistons. It'll be stock, with LOW mileage, which is what I'm looking for. LONGEVITY!
I plan on building the Top-end myself, just have him square the head.
My plans for the Top End:
-If he can save my z6 head w/o milling too much, I'll probably use/build it.
*Heres what I'm thinking about building it with:*

-Skunk2 IM w/ a CAI.
In the long run I'd like go with a JRSC kit.
-Stage 2 Cam.
-Already have adjustable Cam Gear.
-Valves, Springs/Retainers to work with w/e Cam I go with.
-DIY port/polish.
Need to review this more. I just don't know if I'll have the money for a PnP / Valve job during the build. Perhaps later on.[/b]

I'm hoping to have the bottom end done & out the door for at/under $1,000.
Probably under $1,000 in the head. Depending on what all I buy new.
As for tuning, I have a friend that can chip my P28 and tune it with Crome for around $250.

Those are my plans. I'd like to hear some opinions. Feel free to flame, or give me some other things to consider.

Thanks
-Andrew

Might want to look into a phearable.net ecu... lol kind of funny since you just got a p28 but yeah. 185 shipped to your door chipped/custom tuned for your specific setup.

well, since I was running such high compression, different pistons, and a new fuel pump, etc. I was running way rich.

And this way he tunes the program to My specs, In the car, driving down the road, until it's perfect.

Andrew said:
well, since I was running such high compression, different pistons, and a new fuel pump, etc. I was running way rich.

And this way he tunes the program to My specs, In the car, driving down the road, until it's perfect.

If your talking about Eddie i might get it tuned for a cheaper price;).also not to discourage you in anyway. Neither am i trying to convince you to change you mind but. Why not use the cash to get a b16 (build it later)or build a LS ready for turbo?? I have seen some go for 500 bucks ready to install. I just figuredfor the money you can get something bigger.

If your still set on the Z6. I can help you out with the P&P. I can get it done for cheap. vlave job,port and polish and he'll even clean and paint your head to oem aluminum to amke it look new. He does good work.

skillz2k5 said:
ls-vtec anyone?? It probably could be done for around 2k.

i dint mention it cuz he told me personally he would neve build one:confused: I gave him the "if you build it right it will last speech":lol::lol:

Back