Andrew's engine swap (pics)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skillz2k5 said:
ls-vtec anyone?? It probably could be done for around 2k.

also 2g's? might ass well get a gsr. I recommend building and lsvtec when you have either the block or head already. Its cheaper IMO. But good deals are never too hard to find if you look in the right places;).

By the time he got done converting from d to b it would be no less than 1800 dollars even on smokin ass deals. Block, head, im, exhaust mani (not to mention his exhaust will have to be modified), trans, axels, new gaskets and seals ect ect. If you dont want to build an ls-vtec you could always look into buying the b16a SiR since it's right around 1800 for everything you would need (except exhaust).

Update fellas

Just got off the phone with a guy locally here in town, and he said that he might be about to swap in a b16 into his ride, and if he does, he'd sell me his clean Z6 for nearly free. It's got 60k miles and runs fine.

I'm thinking of doing that just b/c it's pretty fresh, and would be a good canditate to sit in my car while I figure out what I'm gonna do with this busted z6..

Abel- I'm back in town, but will be leaving Friday(through Sunday) for Tampa for a grad. party. I guess I won't be pulling the head off my car until sometime next week (I might just go ahead and pull the whole motor.. idk), so I guess I'll let you know when/if I need the services of your friend(about squaring the head).

The only reason I don't plan on going B is that I don't think I wanna sink $15-2000 into a stock motor swap. I'd rather just get that new z6 built/blown.

Yeah but that little rex of yours would haul some serious ass with even a stock B motor :D

yeah. I know....
I'd just rather throw money into a blower and suspension. LONG LIVE THE D.

lol...............

It's all good man... at least it will be cheap to replace when it blows up... j.k :D
Good luck and may the honda god's have mercy on your d series!

Update for tonight, 8/02

Got the Rad, batt, wiring harness, throt/clutch cable, and the a/c compressor unbolted/taken out.

tomorrow is my chill day. I'm gonna be leaving for Orlando Friday, so I've got some stuff to take care of. I'll be back Sunday evening. Monday I'll see what I can accomplish. I will probably be able to drain oil and tranny fluids and start on/get the axles out. If i'm feeling up to it we'll see about the header.

Till then. I bid you all adieu.
-Andrew

97CTR said:
Thought of a gsr swap instead of all that engine work.
Andrew = ME said:
The only reason I don't plan on going B is that I don't think I wanna sink $15-2000 into a stock motor swap. I'd rather just get that new z6 built/blown.

Plus I'd have to switch ECU's, do some extra wiring, etc. I'd just rather not do it right now... I've had enough downtime as it is.

200 for the tuning was the best i could do Andrew.Hows the car coming along? As soon as my friends hand me my 250 bucks i'll take the motor from you also.

Sweet man. $200's fine with me. I appreciate it!

The motor is almost ready to be pulled- All I have left to do is drain the oil, tranny fluid and pull the axles... Just a day's work.
We might pull the motor this weekend sometime.

And hey, if you know of anyone that wants a high compression engine with a warped head, let 'em know i've got one... ;)

i'm not 100% sure.
if I'm dropping a new motor in there anyway, I don't wanna pay to have it checked out...

Update 8-25

I know it's been a while guys, but heres the latest.

I sent my head off the the local machine shop, and they "helped me out" by breaking chunks off my head AND siezing up a rocker. Thread with pics.

I pulled the motor out a couple days ago-
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

And now It's about ready to ship out to KMS Performance( Honda Performance - KMS Engine Development) for a complete build. (remember me talking about that earlier?)

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

It's going in for the following:
micropolish crank
shot peen rods
new forged 11:1 pistons
hone cyl.
overhaul oil pump to 10psi for ever 1,000 rpms.
Head:
stage 2 port and polish
stage 2 valves, springs, retainers
stage 2 cam

He (KMS) told me it would take 1 month to build it and have it sent back out to me.
I'll have a few updates in between, so don't think i've forgotten you guys.
-Andrew

Last edited:
Update 9/1

The motor will be shipped out Tuesday to KMS.
I'm seriously contimplating(sp) doing a wire tuck, after reading this and this articles/write-ups.
I'm not too sure.
I know it'll look nice, but is it worth the time? I'll have plenty of time to do it(about a month), and I'm pretty good with wiring... I just havent decided yet.

Help me make up my mind, and is there anything else I need to consider doing while my engine is out and I've got the spare time?

goodluck getting them all out when you have a short or aopen wire or maybe a blown relay. then you got to take it all out of off to get to whatever you have to get. Uhh i think your first tuck was fine. It was functional and still maintained the crx look. not to mention you can diconnect a plug without taking your fenders off.

you wanted my opinion. there you go. But if you do decide to go ahead with it you can count me in to help you out.

Update 9/12

KMS has told me they've recieved my motor and will be done in about a month.
If you havent been following my thread, this is what my setup will be:

Bottom End:

-New Main Bearings
-New Rod Bearings
-Shot Peen Rods.
-Micropolish Crank
-Hone Cylinders
-Install Pistons/Rings. KMS pistons- 11:1 compression.
-Deck/Square Block
-Have entire Rotating assembly Balanced.

Top End:

-Skunk2 IM
-Stage 2 Cam.
-Stage 2 Valves, Springs/Retainers.
-Stage 2 port/polish.

As far as my progress, check my Wire Tuck thread, as I'll be updating it more, since my engine won't be back for a few weeks.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Back