Android?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I bought one the other day and rooted it. Never had a smartphone before and figured tinkering with these things was something most hondaswappers would be interested in. Dont know much about programming or anything at all, and I know a few members here do.

I have a Samsung Infuse (galaxy S2 lite, basically)

Still running goddamn froyo, supposed to be a gingerbread update soon.

I have several friends with the iphone. They all complain about how locked down the phones are.. no tethering, etc. Im sure there are modifications to basically do whatever you want on the Iphone, but its nice that Droid is open source.

I rooted my phone and now it can tether metropcs' super advanced network lol. I also deleted 15 crapware applications that came on the phone from the carrier. Very satisfying to delete crapware.

tmobile g2 stock gingerbread.

i havent found the need to root my phone yet since tmobile allows tethering out-of-the-box plus it doesnt have any of those SenseUI GUIs that inhibit performance.

im totally excited about next year where much powerful phones with superior gpu will start to appear. not to mention much improved OSes like Ice Cream Sandwich, Windows 8 and iOS 5. smartphones are on the early 2000s desktop trend where performance is doubling every 6-12months instead of the regular 18mos.

enjoy the phone.

ps dont tell iphone people there phones are 50%+ slower than half of the top andriod offerings and no faster than free andriod phones. ;)

I was looking at phone specs the other day. The phone I got for $130 at metropcs is roughly on the same level as the 2nd gen iphone 3g.

Its surprising how quickly things are advancing.

im sticking with my og droid as long as i can. android 2.3.5 and running strong. top apps for root users imo: wireless tether, rom manager, titanium backup.

Evo Shift 4G here running CM7

Im using a sprint hero rooted with gingerbread. Still not a huge fan, but gingerbread (over eclair) made a huge difference. Probably gonna switch it out for an Evo.

i'm still running the original moto droid and i really have no complaints.
time to erase some old txt/pic messages, and clean out the camera gallery cause the phone is dragging a little
but overall pretty happy with it

Are ROM's phone specific? iirc cyanogen is phone specific.

Im just wondering what else I should do to the phone (samsung R720 aka admire/moment) other than tethering and titanium backup bloatware removal.

Its funny - I have a macbook and all the computers at our office are macs... yet i've never had the desire to get an iphone.

my droid2 has recently updated, not sure what it was though.. my notification bar changed colors and a few other things changed.. slowed my phone the fuck down though.. its annoying

The CM guys will punch roms out for different phones. But yes for the most part you must use a rom that is specific designed for your device.

and I also have a bone stock 10.1 galaxy tab

Considering rooting my Infuse, there is a supposedly nice Gingerbread ROM based off the gingerbread version that shipped on the Rogers version of the infuse.

So tired of waiting for AT&T to update.

Back