Another Biker DOWN.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
I heard that my buddy was in the hospital, and now I have conformation. Everyone who's came to my BBQ's know him...he is Jeff....The guy that we were going to build a crazy car for, and he finally got room in his shop for us to do work on all the cars. Well, it sounds like yesterday, a Bronco hit him while he was on his bike.....and the cop's saw it, and the Bronco driver hit and ran, but was later caught. But from what I hear, the hospital induced a coma on Jeff, to keep him from hurting himself more, he may be in the hospital for a week...but so far they found two cracked vertibrea, they drilled a one inch hole in his skull, to relieve some pressure, and the bone is on ICE to be put back in during a later operation, and other things like road rash, a gash on his head, and other stuff that I don't have the full details...but I am sure it will be in the local news today...somewhere. Steve (Celerity) has the full info...and I'm sure he will post when he gets off work tonight. But they are only allowing close family members at the hospital, so our chances of seeing him are slim right now. Steve said the bike is totalled and Jeff is lucky he is even alive. Plus He said the cop saw JEff on the bike at a slow speed and jeff was trying to advoid the Bronco, but the bronco didn't see him till it was to late......

And he rides with no helmet...if he did have a helmet on yesterday, he would have only have had road rash and could have walked home...from what I hear.

More info will be posted as I can find it.

Good Luck JEFF :sad:

that realy sucks man sorry to hear that..I hope he'l be ok .but why the hell was he not wearing a helmet...i mean...after all these posts on this boardof bikers gtting fucked up ...why would you not wear a Helmet....I have 9 friends who all have bikes and All of them wear helmets no mater what.....Hopefulyl he makes a full recovery and learns his lesson...

adding another reason as to why i will always wear a helmet while riding.

those no helmet laws are bullshit. someone should fucking shoot all those CT lawmakers. dumb mother fuckers.

poor jeff... :( hope he makes it out OK....

Even though i know the kid... and i feel bad... I just can't seem to give myself any pity for Squids... that is, bikers who ride without gear.

:shrug2:

i hope he comes out alright....

I have always asked him to wear a helmet...at least, cause he has two kids and a wife....I guess people think if the drive safe, nothing is going to happen.

most of my friends dont wear helmets. i make my point.. but ultimately, its their heads.. and most the time, live's.

jsut this past week, a dude dave i know was on a road, took a turn, and all of a sudden it was crushed stone. he wiped it.

he had a helmet on, and one of those kevlar padded vests thinggess.. he didn't have a scaatch on him other than his hand.

wihtout that jacket ahd helmet.... i can't even imagine sliding on crushed stone. ouch.

Limbs break and heal. Brain damage doesn't heal very well.

I've wrecked my dirtbike, throwing my face into the handlebars a couple times. I can't imagine what my smile would look like without a helmet and face shield. I feel sorry for his wife and kids. :frown:

:rally: :ji: If the smilies and Ji wear a helmet, so should you. :thumbsup:

Thats too bad about your friend, I wish him a fast recovery and a new outlook on protective equipment.

well, I just heard that he had 4 broken ribs, and the wings on the vertibrea snapped off on two of the Verts, hopefully he will be able to walk again, but I just hope he can come out with his full brain...and full mental capasities :sad:

Steve went to the hospital to try to give his wife some comfert, then he should be home later on tonight to correct my post....it was a Blazer, and not a Bronco...plus the police didn't see it, but they deduced that he was in the right of way, and the blazer was at fault...I just hope that guy has insurance to cover this.

Hey all,

Jeff has been responsive today. CAT scans came back with a good outlook, and normal brain function. He is heavily sedated, but the hospital is weening him off of the induced coma. During which time, he has responded with hand clench, limited eye movement and leg twitch. He'll be in the hospital for quite a long time.

As far as the actual accident, It was pretty simple - especially if you're a bike rider. While travelling down a two-lane, smooth paved and well travelled road, an oncoming SUV (Yeah, a Blazer) was waiting to make a left turn (Across his path of travel). He waited, and did as all cagers do to bikers: He waited, and suddenly went without a bit of synapse. Jeff, who takes extreme caution around anything with a steering wheel, was probably half-expecting him to do it (As all bikers do) and managed to slow for the "situation", but then passed the SUV thinking nothing of it. I'm sure as soon as Jeff let his guard down about the situation, convinced that the SUV wouldn't go - The SUV went.

He impacted with the SUV at an undetermined speed. the fork is, of course, gone and the bike is wrecked to the handlebars. For those experienced in bike accidents, this is common damage at a low speed. Jeff then seperated from the bike (A Ninja 990), impacted with the front windshield of the SUV (Glanced) and then contacted the pavement. He has a relatively small bit of road rash, broken ribs from the bike-torso collision, and head injuries of course from hitting the SUV / Road. He was found in a grassy area. The SUV attempted to leave, and probably thought better of it. He was sedated because he refused to remain still for EMS crews, and doctor staff.

The outcome isn't too bad - He has control of outer extremities, and prolly will walk from this. The brain damage was minimal (Maximum for healthy recovery, but probably won't result in permanent brain damage) and his vertabrae is mostly titanium from an earlier accident. He's the million dollar man.

As far as lessons learned: You know the routine. Had he even a minimal helmet on, and a riding jacket he would have been home that night. After years of trouble-free riding, with the steady flow of asshole motorists and retards that all bikers see, he let his guard down the moment he decided to take a ride. Don't underestimate 4-wheelers and cagers - They SEE bikers, they simply have a short between their eyes and their brains when it comes time to interact with them.

-> Steve

glad to hear that he'll be home & healthy soon.

As for insurance, It sounds like the hospital might get most of it. Expect the bill to be nearly $100,000 just from what you have posted. If the guy is insured they should be dumping their limits as soon as they get the confirmation of the severity of the injury from the hospital.

Depending on what state this happened in there may be a "made whole" doctrine in effect which limits the medical providers to no more than 1/3 of whatever his settlement is no matter what their bills are and they can't bill him later. If not----yuck!

By the way, an Attorney isn't gonna help him out AT ALL as this is an obvious limits case. If this were my claim, I'd call his wife IMMEDIATLY and tell her to expect (subject to the policy limits)a $25,000/$30,000/$50,000 & possibly a $100,000 check (less his medical bills) as soon as I got some records from the E/R.

If the Blazer is uninsured, I hope Jeff has medical insurance through his or his wife's employer or some kind of UM coverage on the motorcycle policy. Even then, it a policy limits case and an attorney will do him NO GOOD and only reduce his settlement by 1/3 + expenses. All for sending a letter and not much more. However, as soon as this airs on the local news or shows up in the paper his wife can expect A LOT of calls from attorneys promising mega bucks.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let her & Jeff know the insurance company is gonna offer their limits quickly and then coordinate getting the hospital/doctors paid and there is NOTHING an attorney can do for them except reduce the award that Jeff is due because of the Blazer driver's negligence.

If I can be of any assitance on that end. I'll be glad to help.

Lemme know!

Holy crap , and i thought it was a joke or something :unsure: , but sorry to hear that about your friend and i hope him a good fast recovery. :sad:

Back