Another bunch of teens weeding themselves out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When I first took my test, it was down a city street with almost no traffic. They really should have a few tests, one for city driving, and another for highway, backroad etc.

That's how it is here in Texas I haven't taken the actual test yet gotta wait til I'm 17 but I've been thru driver's ed. Tests are for highway driving, busy intersections, city driving, and crowded downtown driving, parallel parking, and backing up, just the basics. It's easier than shit but that's pretty funny just going down a city street with almost no traffic.

And here in my small town there's only 1 or 2 driving schools that drive cars with huge Drivers Ed decals on them so other drivers and even cops fuck with you they'll honk at you and even cut you off sometimes but I always cut them off right back and gave them the finger. Took like 20 points off my score tho so I barely passed hahaha.

That's how it is here in Texas I haven't taken the actual test yet gotta wait til I'm 17 but I've been thru driver's ed. Tests are for highway driving, busy intersections, city driving, and crowded downtown driving, parallel parking, and backing up, just the basics. It's easier than shit but that's pretty funny just going down a city street with almost no traffic.

And here in my small town there's only 1 or 2 driving schools that drive cars with huge Drivers Ed decals on them so other drivers and even cops fuck with you they'll honk at you and even cut you off sometimes but I always cut them off right back and gave them the finger. Took like 20 points off my score tho so I barely passed hahaha.

I took the test ten years ago, I have heard it's a little more difficult now. But, one city street isn't going to tell you shit about how you drive on a fast road with alot of intersections. I think you should have to pass a series of tests. It's to protect us from the newbie driver.

And I agree with everyone else. First car should be a lower priced used car, because statisticaly speaking your likely to hit something before your 25 years old.

Oh i didn't mean to put it all on the parents at all. All i was saying is that they didn't appreciate what they had because are used to the treatment.

and it is not like i am disagreeing with taking an advanced driving school as a test. all i am saying is that if you are a parent and you feel that if little johnny race car driver is whining about how he wants a sports car and you give in, you are the one who should be held accountable when he speeds into a tree and kills himself and others.All i am sayin is that if your a parent act like one, don't try to be there best friend and give in to there every request.

Word. Mom didn't let me turbo my civic. Said I couldn't have over "150" hp.

Word. Mom didn't let me turbo my civic. Said I couldn't have over "150" hp.

Lol that's funny. My mom tried to pull that bullshit but then I promised her I'd wait til I can get a full roll cage, bigger brakes, and some better tires. Because I know damn straight I'm gonna drive like a dumbass when I bolt on a turbo and suddenly I'm runnin 200 hp and I don't even have airbags.

J/k, but seriously, like I said I don't drive wrecklessly so when it comes time to practice for a track, I want to make sure I'm safe.

I guess you could call it jealousy, but there's nothing I hate more than seeing a rich kid showing off in some badass car his parents bought him. I have more respect for a kid who bought his own geo metro than a kid who's daddy gave him a vette. It's one of those things I don't like anything top of the line I'd never buy a viper or a ferrari I'd like to drive one but I'd get a whole lot more satisfaction knowing that I paid for it and did all the work myself with a little help from you guys on here :thumbsup:.

i wish they would have commented on the seat belt factor... anyone out there choose to drive without them?? i can't seem to get my step dad to realize how important they are (he drives and nsx...)

i sometimes drive with my seatbelt. if i'm driving around town, i usually dont unless cops are everywhere lol. if i'm goin on the highway or i'm doin something *else* then yeah i'll where my seat belt.

however. i recently removed my passenger airbag and deactivated my drivers one, which will get removed whenever I get a new steering wheel. i took a poll with all my friends and family that ride in the car, and to my supprise, it was almost everyone that voted that they dont like airbags and think a seat belt is enough. i plan on eventually installing racing seats and 3 or 5 point harnesses. and a roll cage. but seats and harnesses first. unfortunatly, it will be a while.

what's your opinions? flaming or not. those that ride it, voted to rid them.

i sometimes drive with my seatbelt. if i'm driving around town, i usually dont unless cops are everywhere lol.

i am just curious if you have ever hit anything head on... any wreck even around town without a seat belt will probably equal major injury... i personally think it is stupid not to wear one regardless

i am just curious if you have ever hit anything head on... any wreck even around town without a seat belt will probably equal major injury... i personally think it is stupid not to wear one regardless

yeah my one and only accident. i was 16. taking these 2 girls home. they had their seatbelts on, i didnt. we were going 30-35 down a main road through a residential area. and i forgot about a stop sign at a 3 way intersection, because it's partially blocked by tree leaves. but still i knew the place, i just forgot it was there. and they were throwing bean bag penguins around the van. and looking forward 2 cars up, i didnt see brake lights, i looked back for a second and of course they were braking for the stop sign. slammed on the brakes and slid into 1 person. did NOTHING to their small truck. 400 damage to my mom's odyssey. no airbags went off. i dont know the exact speed when I hit him of course probably like 15 or 20mph. but i was holding the steering wheel, and it didnt do shit to me. the girls didnt get flung very hard either but the seat belts did stop them.

IMO around town, if i'm the driver, i should be driving. i should have my hands on the wheel or be paying attention to the environment around me. so i can avoid or lessen an accident if someone else is at fault. i'm also not very tall even still so the belt sits on my sholder funny and i just dont wear it.

i'll probably wear the harness around town because it sits on my sholders different. even if it is overkill for lil accidents. i still hold safety in high regard...

A kid I went to highschool died a couple of years ago because of that. He was driving down a back road and some dear ran out. He tried to get out of the way and slammmed into a ditch, because he didn't have his seatbelt on he flew through the windshield and into the ditch. He drowned because he was unconcious. The passenger had her seatbelt on and escaped with bruises.

This is a perfect example of how speed can be a drug. Junior's first car should not be a 12 second Camaro, a Ford Excursion, or an S2000. These cars are "too hard of a drug" for a beginner. The potential for stupid is too high. I know if I had something like that as a first car I would be dead.

Actually, with the Excursion, the people in the other cars would be dead and you would be fine.

It doesn't matter if you have 10 street car or a fuckin' gremlin as your first car. Just don't speed the parents had nothing to do with this at all. They said the speed was around 80 mph you can do that is a mini van.

I heard at work today that the driver had cystic fibrosis, so his parents just gave him anything he wanted...like the 350Z....but he didn't have to take another kid with him to the grave.

Actually, with the Excursion, the people in the other cars would be dead and you would be fine.
Well yea that's cool. Your alive and I'm dead because you were driving like a dumbass. Enjoy prison. Honestly, I HATE when people say they feel safe in these gigantic SUVs. You have one fucking kid. Buy a Grand Marquis or something.

It doesn't matter if you have 10 street car or a fuckin' gremlin as your first car. Just don't speed the parents had nothing to do with this at all. They said the speed was around 80 mph you can do that is a mini van.
It's easier or more enticing to speed in a car with a good 0-60mph. It's more tempting to use the power the car has.

When your 0-60 takes 13 seconds your less likely to speed. That's my opinion anyway.

Back