Another Can't start the engine thread..please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludude

Okay, this is not your average I don't have an idea what I'm doing and I can't start my car thread. I've done all the checks and everything is there. I have fuel, spark and compression but it still is only cranking and now I'm stuck as to what to do next. Any ideas?

The car is a 93 Prelude with a f22a engine.

There is definitely spark, I replaced the coil and module.
There is fuel - its actually floods the spark plugs and you can smell the gas from the tips
There is compression - one is slightly weak though, should still be okay right?

I don't understand what else is left?? Timing belt is okay too, it's not broken.
I even replaced the stupid main relay that everyone has a problem with.

Is there a fuel relay or something that might be causing it?

actual compression figures would be helpful. How weak is 'weak'? 80psi?

I would make sure that you're getting spark and it's correct.

I had a similar problem, replaced a bunch of shit and found out that the new Checker's distributor rotor was 'dragging' on the housing....

Also check to see that your camshaft timing is on. Maybe your t-belt jumped a few teeth..

Were you still able to get a spark though with the rotor dragging? I have a spark, but I only replaced the module, not the entire distributor

Oh yea, the PSI i had were 90-100, and one that was weak was around 65 PSI. It should still start right?

have you actually visusually inspected that there is spark. Take out a sparkplug, put the SP back in the SP wire, and ground the SP on a medal peice. Have a freind crank the engine over, and see if their is spark.

Yea there was a spark. My dad held the spark plug and I cranked the car.

He did notice the timing belt was a little loose so it might have jumped. Would that have any affect?

Originally posted by preludude@Oct 24 2004, 01:17 PM
Yea there was a spark. My dad held the spark plug and I cranked the car.

He did notice the timing belt was a little loose so it might have jumped. Would that have any affect?
[post=406734]Quoted post[/post]​

A skipped tooth timing belt will give you a low compression reading, and will throw off the ignition timing and cam timing (since the distributor runs off the cams timing) That very well could be your problem

THanks sol and sleepnaccord for your help in a forum that rarely gives help. I appreciate it.

I found out the problem and you guys were right, it was the timing belt teeth. It must've been loose and jumped. after I adjusted the timing and tightened the timing belt, it runs like nothing ever happened. In fact, it actually fires up better than before.

Thanks again

Back