Another Cell Phone Thread (Sprint Users Specifically)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BrutalB83

Brutal Moderator
VIP
Okay, so Sprint is going to give me a killer deal (18% discount through my lady's mom's work, a $250 credit to offset getting out of my AT&T contract, and they'll buy my old phone for $15), so I'm ditching AT&T for Sprint on Wednesday. So I'm looking to hear from current Sprint users on phone suggestions. I'm wanting a droid, and thinking about these three:

-Evo Shift
-Samsung Epic
-Samsung Nexus

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

BrutalB83 said:
Okay, so Sprint is going to give me a killer deal (18% discount through my lady's mom's work, a $250 credit to offset getting out of my AT&T contract, and they'll buy my old phone for $15), so I'm ditching AT&T for Sprint on Wednesday. So I'm looking to hear from current Sprint users on phone suggestions. I'm wanting a droid, and thinking about these three:

-Evo Shift
-Samsung Epic
-Samsung Nexus

Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

I've been with sprint for quit a while and like they're service.
I traded my old palm pre for the evo shift a few months ago and love the phone! Zero complaints about the phone at all, good size screen but not to big like the evo or epic. Great camera and video and its anroid 2.2. Imo the epic is to big

Evo kills the shift. Screw a gimmicky keyboard, smaller screen (read inferior) and 5mp camera vs 8mp. I have the Evo and a friend has the shift, hands down Evo all day. The slightly faster processor of the shift is virtually unnoticeable in any comparo we've done side by side. He's trading his in for the Evo as soon as he can. The Epic 4G is not a bad phone either. Awesome Amoled screen, but less user friendly Samsung setup vs HTC.

Also, if you plan on face chatting the shift doesn't have a second forward facing screen like the regular Evo. I eek the shift was just a phone put out there to keep the cycle of new phone releases going while sacrificing technology for as I said before, a gimmicky sliding action. It also has a smaller battery than the Evo.

Last edited:
It seems that Chad and I have the same tast in phones. I have been very pleased with my Shift. The girlfriend has an Evo and its just to big for me. The shift has the same resolution as the Evo so its sharp. Also the 800mhz vs. 1ghz is debatable as to which is faster. The newer snap dragon in the Shift is optomized further so it does just as well at a lower speed. I use my phone way to much and browse the shit out of the internet so a keyboard is a must for me. As for the camera being lower quaility MP wise that's fine by me. I use the phone for quick pictures of my son and that's about it. Cyangenmod has a build for the Shift if your thinking about running a quality custom rom if your into rooting and what not.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110613_140022.png
    ForumRunner_20110613_140022.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 165
Checked my usage for the current month while paying my bill today. Phone usage:15min, Text:327, Internet, (around) 1,500,000kb. As you can see,its pretty much my pc, but I get by just fine with my on screen keyboard, especially since with the larger screen its even bigger than the shift's keyboard when in horizontal orientation. :lol: In fact I'm typing this response on it and its taken no longer than usual.

Well, shit. I think I'm going to go and look at Verizon too. It turns out that Detroit is like the only major market that Sprint hasn't implement 4G in yet. I don't really see the point in buying an awesome phone that's 4G ready if I'm stuck using 3G.

Verizon's 4G LTE has been going here since December though, so I may have to that route. With that said, any phone suggestions for Verizon?

BrutalB83 said:
Well, shit. I think I'm going to go and look at Verizon too. It turns out that Detroit is like the only major market that Sprint hasn't implement 4G in yet. I don't really see the point in buying an awesome phone that's 4G ready if I'm stuck using 3G.

Verizon's 4G LTE has been going here since December though, so I may have to that route. With that said, any phone suggestions for Verizon?

I almost switched to verizon bc that's what my lady has until I saw how much they're plans are, way more expensive

Thats the thing I hate about em. Each comparable plan was like 10-20 dollars more/month when i last looked into them.

i say EVO.. HTC makes some nice stuff.. not too sure about Samsung phones, but their TVs rock.. lol

I jumped from AT&T to Sprint last year- couldn't afford two iSucks together, even with the crazy company discount.

Got me and the wife both Epics. I've had issues with the wifi antenna dropping out (just takes an antenna reset to fix, but a major hassle) and her gyro sensor isn't working right (could be from getting wet) so I had to disable the auto-flip when you turn the phone 90 degrees. I love the screen, but I don't use it for watching media very often. The keyboard is nice, but I only use it to punch in passwords or Coke rewards codes. The rest of the time I use Swype. It's obscenely fast.

The Samsung TouchWiz launcher is garbage, but that's easily fixed. The Galaxy S eats battery like a mofo, and hasn't been optimized (on the official ROMs) quite enough to make the battery last all day with normal usage. Samsung has also been stupid late on OS updates- the Evo is already on Gingerbread by the end of this month, but the Epic probably won't get it for another six months or more.

Just a couple of gripes. Overall I like my Epic, but I would have been happier with an Evo. Wife has to have a keyboard. Since Sprint somehow bridged my service from when I was in college, I was eligible for an upgrade as soon as I signed the contract this time- so I might just trade in both phones for a Shift (wife) and an Evo 3D (me).

We'll see.

I just dumped Sprint and went back to AT&T. Picked up the Samsung Infuse - huge screen, if you don't mind the phone being large to accomodate.

Had a Samsung Epic, was never happy with it. Also I really dislike how their $10 premium fee that used to be only for 4g phones, now applies to all smartphones. Why have an unlimited plan, if you're just going to charge people more via fees?

I just dumped Sprint and went back to AT&T. Picked up the Samsung Infuse - huge screen, if you don't mind the phone being large to accomodate.

Had a Samsung Epic, was never happy with it. Also I really dislike how their $10 premium fee that used to be only for 4g phones, now applies to all smartphones. Why have an unlimited plan, if you're just going to charge people more via fees?

What was it that you disliked about the Epic? That's one of the ones I was considering...

Evo kills the shift. Screw a gimmicky keyboard, smaller screen (read inferior) and 5mp camera vs 8mp. I have the Evo and a friend has the shift, hands down Evo all day. The slightly faster processor of the shift is virtually unnoticeable in any comparo we've done side by side. He's trading his in for the Evo as soon as he can. The Epic 4G is not a bad phone either. Awesome Amoled screen, but less user friendly Samsung setup vs HTC.

Also, if you plan on face chatting the shift doesn't have a second forward facing screen like the regular Evo. I eek the shift was just a phone put out there to keep the cycle of new phone releases going while sacrificing technology for as I said before, a gimmicky sliding action. It also has a smaller battery than the Evo.

Isn't the regular EVO actually the one with the faster processor? I think the regular EVO has the 1ghz, and the Shift has 800mhz...

I love my Galexy S, but I can vouch that the battery SUCKS. Nothing like getting separated from the bachelor party group in NYC last weekend. Drunk + dead phone + know nobody + 4AM = suck.

The Epic isn't really congruent with the other galaxy s phones. The build quality is on the shoddy side, battery life is awful, and some features are either disabled or don't work right.

Yup. Was going to make a large external battery pack tied to the guts from a high quality car charger to power the phone- could tie the cells into a belt, drop them in a pocket etc. But you shouldn't have to worry about a phone dying before the day is out.

Isn't the regular EVO actually the one with the faster processor? I think the regular EVO has the 1ghz, and the Shift has 800mhz...

The Evo has a higher clock speed but my processor in the Shift is quicker. The Quadrant scores on a bone stock Shift are better than a stock Evo.

Verizon is the best...but they also cost the most. There are only a handful of 4g phones atm and the Droid Charge is the best one. I'm sticking to my Droid X with Deodxed Gingerbread and Liberty GB v.08 ROM. My Quadrant scores are 1550 and I could get over 2800+ with another ROM and some other customization but this is fine for now.

if you don't care about 4g I would get the Droid X 2

This is a Droid X 1 running Apex RC2 ROM

poweroverwhelming.png

one more thing, My Droid X 1 using Liberty ROM is getting great battery life. I ran my own tests couple days ago. i reverted back to Froyo .340 and did the OTA update to Stock Ginberbread .596 and did my normal activites, running Pandora, youtube, check MLB scores, emals etc...Then i went to Liberty GB v.08 rooted/deodexed and i noted that on stock OTA gingerbread i was down to 30% with it 24 hours off a charger and i was only down to 50% on Liberty Rom.

Last edited:
Yup. Was going to make a large external battery pack tied to the guts from a high quality car charger to power the phone- could tie the cells into a belt, drop them in a pocket etc. But you shouldn't have to worry about a phone dying before the day is out.

Shouldn't, but both my wife and I occasionally did. After charging every night, both our Epics would be giving battery alerts before going to bed the next day, and that was light to medium use with wifi, gps, and the 4g radio turned off. I can't imagine if all those were on.

Back