another dumb distributor question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yOnKiNaToR

first off, i have a 92 lude which had an h23 in it. i now have a newly installed jdm h22 with internal coil distributor. i'm not an electrician, but i figured out that i needed to run a wire from the coil to the battery (temporary) to get it to start if using the h22 distributor. i'd like to use the new distributor that i received with the new engine rather than the old distributor.

i've searched around honda-tech, collectiveracing, and here. the only thing i've found is from 2point6 on how to convert the old distributor to an internal coil one. instead, how do i use the new distributor? can it be converted to external coil, or is there a way to wire it using the the internal coil? any help much appreciated.

sorry if this was explained in earlier posts; i must have missed it.

i'm not understanding what you are trying to say. first off............
a. what is wrong with your car
b. what are you trying to do.

well, my car is messy; i have vtec and distributor wires all over the place. and obviously, i can't leave a hot wire from the distributor to the battery all the time.

i'd like to be able to have the distributor work with minimal wiring and mess

i had to buy a new distributor when i did my swap because mine was bad. but jdm motors (like mine) have internal coil and usdm have external so i had to use my msd blaster coil with the new dist. because of the fact that i had to buy a usdm dist

Ok, all you really need to have for that distributor is power that comes on with the key. Here's what I did. My F22 was external coil. When that harness was installed on the H22, there was a leftover plug for the distributor. I used a tester to find the wires that was hot(+) with the key on, and off with the key. Then, I opened the distributor cap area and followed the +terminal wire to the outside of the distributor. I exposed the wire below that sheath, and ran my + lead to that wire. You now have power with the key to the internal coil. If you don't have that extra plug I spoke of, you could run one from the fuse box, or tap a different one that comes on with the key. ;)

does that leftover plug look square and does it have four wires? it plugged into the bottom of the external coil on the old setup? if so, i think i know what you're talking about....by any chance do you remember what color wire was hot?

ok...i figured that out...but i have more problems:

when the car gets warmed up and i start revving it, smoke or steam comes out of the radiator cap or the radiator itself. i haven't bled the coolant system yet..will that solve the problem? also, the heater and radio do not work. and i've never seen the fans kick on, so maybe that would be why it smokes too?

the car also smokes out of the exhaust ...i can't tell if it's because of it being cold outside, or that it's actually smoking for a reason.. my old engine had sludge in the bottom of the coolant tank and it smoked to...maybe the new engine running is just clearing out wht the old engine had in it?

ok, first of all when you say steam out of the exhaust is it white and smells sweet like antifreeze? if so you might have a few problems, such as maybe a head gasket. but on that side note of your other engine had sludge it sounds like your thermostat maybe stuck open or the fan is on too much causing the engine to cool the oil too much and turn it into sludge. and about the distributor issue, did you happen to check if a seal leaked and allowed oil to the distributor?

i'm not sure what it smells like honestly...i know the exhaust drips and inside the exhaust a little is always what seems to be water. the smoke is white. i'm sure it's possible to be antifreeze..it runs really smooth and no bog in power, so headgasket problems don't seem logical to me.

i think my old engine had a headgasket problem b/c it went through quite a bit of oil and it didn't seem to have the power it should have. the old engine also smoked quite a bit before it died.

also, the fan doesn't kick on AT ALL...and if anything the engine seems to get really hot. if anything the oil would boil, not be to cool. how would i check the thermostat just in case? also, i found sludge in the coolant tank from the old engine but the new engine does NOT produce the same effect. this leads me to believe that the old engine is still feeling the affects of the old one due to maybe some stuff in the exhaust or something along those lines.

and the distributor is working and nothing is wrong with it so i wouldn't assume that oil is leaking into the distributor. how would i tell? the distributor is working correctly now though.

also, does anybody know why my heater, a/c, and everything on my center console do not work? where is the wiring that controls that. everything looks connected up but yet it still doesn't work. i think i'm gonna rip apart my center console and look around.

also..anybody have any ideas on how to get metal valve stem caps off? haha..mine are stuck on so tight that i just rip up my valve stems when i try to pry the caps off...i already need a new stem for my front left tire b/c it leaks air.

sheesh...this car has been down for almost 3 months..very discouraging

Back