Another great MTB video.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5'9" 230ish. Pretty stocky, but also dropping weight as I've been trying to be a lot more active lately (one of the main reasons I'm looking to get back into biking.) More off the path trails than anything. Kind of like what I used to like to do. I hear you on the price/quality point. I knew road bikes were gettiing up there. But I could never see myself paying 4k+ for some of the USED bikes I was seeing on pinkbike. I know you're not advocating I go that route, but im just wondering if those kind of bikes are really that great of a difference for a guy just trying to get back out there. lol I'm leaning towards something like the Treks you put up. I think I could live with the hardtail easier than something without a nice front suspension and/or disc brakes. Hell that's why my legs can bend, right?

Of course. I demo'd a $5000 Pivot Full suspension with a 160mm Fox and one of those Fox rears with Kashima coat, all Avid XO etc. It was so plush and so crisp. It was unlike any bicycle I have ever ridden. So yes, there is a huge difference. Also, look in the 04-07 range of bikes, where they still used 1 1/8 non tapered steerers. A lot of those bikes will be cheaper. There is a Kona Dawg frame with a Fox rear shock on ebay for like $175 right now. It has a small crack in the head tube.

I know there's a huge difference overall, and for a guy trying to get everything he can out of the bike I get buying it. But I meant more for the guy like me just trying to get back into biking as a fun worthwhile outdoor activity. Is the difference really worth it? Like I said. Good and cheap. That's why I thought something around 300 used or not would suit me best, but I'd probably be more comfortable in the 300-500 range after seeing what you've had to say.

If you're "getting back into it" then why not spend closer to a $1000? Cheaping out on something then upgrading the components/etc will cost about the same. That's like buying a D series even though you know you already want the performance of a B series but don't want to wait the little extra time to save for it. Spend the extra so you're satisfied with it for a couple seasons. Go into some good LBS (local bike stores) and test ride some and figure out what you like. You should be able to catch some good deals on new ones now with winter rolling in. If price is an issue, many bike stores still do layaway and/or finance.

If you've already done it before, you're more than likely going to get hooked again.

I dont mean back into it like pro/am or anything competition oriented. I mean I used to bike a lot as a recreational activity and Id like to again use it as a recreational activity. I just didn't think I really need to buy a $1000 dollar bike when the extra cash could go to something else. Are you really saying there are no worthwhile bikes for a good bit under $1000? If so maybe I need to find another hobby. That just seems ridiculous to me.

What specifically are you planning on doing? What kind of trails? Just nice easy stuff or harder stuff? Riding around town?

Oh and check out Performance Bike there in Columbus, tomorrow is the last day of their sale they're having. You might be able to find something decent in your price range there.

Off the beaten path trail riding. Nothing too brutal, but actually fun, you know what I mean? Oh, and like I said, I'm in Florida right now.

Sorry I didn't catch that part. What part of Florida? I'll see if I can find anything in the area for you. Also google to see if there is a performance bike shop near you.

Ft. Walton Beach (west of Panama City.) No room in the car though. lol I could get an idea though.

I paid close to $400 for this, (not my actual bike)

IronHorseMountainBike.jpg

About yeah after I had it I taco'd the shit out of the back wheel, spent another $250 on a solid wheelset shortly after that I had trouble with the shifting setup, another $150 to fix that. All I did with it was moderate trail work, I would have much rather paid a little more for a better bike from the get go.

Exactly. I just upgraded my wheelset to something far more durable. A few crooked landings and my Mavics were toast. And those are mid-range wheels.

Back