Another How Much Boost Question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rfrumusa01

Bean Cakes
I did not do any of the work to this car, so this is why I ask.

How much boost would you think I can safely run on this engine...

D16Y8, Forged low comp. Pistons, Rods
Stock head
GT28R Ball-bearing, water-cooled turbo
P28 ECU, CROME tuning
Full edelbrock t-kit w/edelbrock intake manny
450cc DSM injectors & stock fuel pressure
walbro fuel pump

Currently @ 15PSI, engine runs like a champ, great pull. Wanna know if I could get more out of it @ the track without blowing it up. If I wanted around say... 20psi, what would anyone recommend?

Hey man im no expert on this but what where the numbers at 15 psi. I would guess 200-250whp but going 20 IMO is pushing it. Ask your tuner or wait for someone else to see what they say.

Power is NOT measured in PSI.

So why would you ask PSI?

You should consider the fact that the engine is on stock sleeves, and you have forged internals. I wouldn't push it much past 270 whp on those stock d-series sleeves if you want to stay reliable in the long run.

Im not saying its measured in psi but from his setup it looks like thats what he could probably get out of it. Basically people say it doesn't matter what psi you run its how much hp your block or sleeves can handle. So people are telling me someone could run 30 psi on stock sleeves with forged internals but lets say get about 200whp, your motor will handle that. I know with 30 psi you would get way more but im just saying cause if you put it into those terms you wouldn't trust 30 psi even if you got 200whp but maybe im wrong. I dont know 110% of how much can this motor handle what and how much psi will give you roughly this much hp with this setup. I may not be the smartest guy out there but I know im definitely not the dumbest guy out there.
BTW Matts96HB im not yelling at you :)
I just want everyone to know that and maybe understand or correct me if I'm wrong cause im here to learn and get tips, not to ask whats the best setup for my car or how much psi will my car handle (no offense rfrumusa01). I think I asked something like that when I was new so don't feel bad hahaha GL on your goal man.

^ I was talking to the OP not you, but alright.
Either way, PSI does not designate a power output.
So much of that depends on the tune, and the parts being used.

I'll stick to my answer, and say push no more than 270 whp on that setup if you want it to last awhile.

break down the motor and get it sleeved.. make sure everything is good to go... get some arp head studs and i would say just rebuild it.. i definetly think if you tryin to run 20+ pounds on an engine you should do it right the first time.. dont take any short cuts... thats my input..

ok then, that works. I cant really afford sleeves and if I could I would buy a b series first! I guess I will just leave it where it is for now. I dont recall saying anything about measuring power in psi, but ok.

Wanna know if I could get more out of it @ the track without blowing it up. If I wanted around say... 20psi, what would anyone recommend?

..Sounds to me like you're doing it here.

Anyway, just get a good tune on it, and you'll be fine.

Totally agree with matt , actually I was thinking no more than 250whp , just to be super secure ! and if you want more , it will be a B series !:rolleyes:

Back