Another martial arts thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin_m

Alright well i got some questions now. Have been really wanting to get into a martial art of some sort for a long time, but wasn't in the position to do it because of time and money. well i think i'm gonna be able to swing it in the fall, so i need some help here.

what i want is something that is going to of course help me get in shape, work on flexibility and stuff like that, and basically give me a little more confidence in fighting skills. I haven't got in a fight in a long time, and i'm not the type to start them at all, but i want the confidence of knowing that if something happens i can end it quick and hopefully come out on top. I almost got into a fight the other day at the gas station (some dick tried to snake my spot at the pump, then when i drove in real quick, he got out and in my face) and it got me thinking about this again.

The problem is i don't know what martial art to get into, or where to go here in San Diego. From browsing the threads that have been on here, it looks like i would lean towards some type of Jiu Jitsu, just because it seems to have a more practical application compared to some others. I also saw Krav Maga discussed and looked into it, but from the main place here in SD, i just didn't get a good vibe from them.

There is a place here in SD called The Boxing Club. they do all sorts of stuff, Boxing, jiu jitsu, muy thai, and some otehr stuff. I know some of you advised that those places won't give you a real education in what you want all the time, but like i said, i don't know where to go.

Here's the site for that place i just talked about, let me know what you think.
Jitsu

I'd try a few of the local places out for a month or so each. pick the one you like the most.

IMO getting in shape and flexibility is something you should do on your own time, not time wasted in the class room. I HATE schools that spend too much time doing bullshit pushups and situps eating up class time.

Sit in front of the TV at night and stretch, go running, or biking. when you get into a class it should be nothing but working on martial arts.

well i do the biking, situps, pushups and all that, but i guess i just want to do a little more. I can't really run a lot because of my knees, they are fucked from skating when i was younger. by getting in shape i mean getting more lean and do body hardening type stuff.

and if i try a few places out, as a beginner, how would i know what to look for?
Do you know of any places, like website or whatever, that i could find out reviews or anything on different places?

senate_9427 said:
well i do the biking, situps, pushups and all that, but i guess i just want to do a little more. I can't really run a lot because of my knees, they are fucked from skating when i was younger. by getting in shape i mean getting more lean and do body hardening type stuff.

and if i try a few places out, as a beginner, how would i know what to look for?
Do you know of any places, like website or whatever, that i could find out reviews or anything on different places?

You''ll see at lesat if you like what they're doing. some places are 25% warm up, 50% kicks and punches to the air, 25% learning something worth while. trust me you'll see what Im talking about when you look around.

Martial Arts Planet - powered by vBulletin

biggest forum I know of. but it covers the world so its harder to break down to just CA but you could post something about CA schools.

im also interested in starting somthing. they have submission wrestleing near me and i think i might check it out.

Tai Chi

Very relaxing, very good for getting into shape and being toned without adding excess bulk, and is a VERY effective combat form of Kung Fu. Just get past the common 28 move form (I think it's 28) and you'll go far.

just about anything is better than nothing. i would stay away from jiu jitsu though. would you really want to rely on taking a fight to the ground all the time. i know most fights end up on the floor, but why let it last that long. you only need a minute or two before the other guy gets tired of flailing around. i would suggest straight up boxing, or maybe muy thai. i'm going to be looking into the muy thai here soon.

I have been interested in Muy Thai. a guy in my reserve unit is CA state champ and just fought and wond a world champ, not sure through what league or whatever. but yea, ihave wanted to do that, just not sure if i'd be able to do the kicks and stuff.

just getting use to the fight is half the battle. you would be surprised how many people freak out at the sight of their own blood. learn to give a good punch/elbow/kick combo and the fight will be over before it started.

get_nick said:
just about anything is better than nothing. i would stay away from jiu jitsu though. would you really want to rely on taking a fight to the ground all the time. i know most fights end up on the floor, but why let it last that long. you only need a minute or two before the other guy gets tired of flailing around. i would suggest straight up boxing, or maybe muy thai. i'm going to be looking into the muy thai here soon.

That's why you learn a art that offers a full package.

why limit yourself?

get_nick said:
just getting use to the fight is half the battle. you would be surprised how many people freak out at the sight of their own blood. learn to give a good punch/elbow/kick combo and the fight will be over before it started.

That's one of the big factors. Very very few people have been in a real all out fight where you're not trying to hold back from injuring a sparring partner or friend- when it's a real fight, most people back down.

Confidence is key. I may not remember all the techniques I learned when I was younger, but I remember enough to still have the reflexes and ability to take most people out- plus I've fought more than enough real fights that I'm not afraid of committing to a true bloodbath. Thankfully, I haven't had to in over 10 years, but it does make a difference.

Then again, knowing how to win a fight is totally different from adopting a martial art as a lifestyle to learn better discipline and stay in shape.

^^^And why i am asking all this stuff, so i can look for a place that teaches a traditional art, not some watered down, americanized MMA shit.

Google: George Ling Hu

One of my best friend's dads, and also who I learned from when I was a kid. Search out guys like that. :)

I did Taekwondo for 8 years and ehhh I wouldn't pay money to learn it agian, it just teaches you how to fight other "karate" type martial artists.

Find an MMA gym (there HAS to be one in SD). Ju-Jitsu is great unless you get in a bar fight with some dood and his buddy jumps in. at an MMA school you'll learn how to box, wrestle, submit, and fight out of a clinch. That way you get a total approach to fighting

Silverchild79 said:
I did Taekwondo for 8 years and ehhh I wouldn't pay money to learn it agian, it just teaches you how to fight other "karate" type martial artists.

Find an MMA gym (there HAS to be one in SD). Ju-Jitsu is great unless you get in a bar fight with some dood and his buddy jumps in. at an MMA school you'll learn how to box, wrestle, submit, and fight out of a clinch. That way you get a total approach to fighting

True TKD wont teach you how to fight anything other then TKD fighters.

no grabs, no take downs, no ground work, nothing but point striking.

Karate = take downs and ground work. TKD = none of that.

so to say they tought you to fight other styles... that's either bullshit or they didnt teach you true TKD.

Silverchild79 said:

I'm not really wanting to get into the MMA thing, just because its not that i need to learn to fight, i want to learn an actual martial art. what i want is the benefits that come with learning that art. I know people that do the MMA stuff and it jsut doesn't appeal to me. it seems to be all about jsut being able to beat someones ass, which is not how i am. I want the satisfaction of learning something that has a tradition behind it and all that. The whole history of martial arts has always been interesting to me and thats what i want.

If i wanted MMA type stuff, i would be working more towards my MCMAP belts. the guys that do that are tough, but all it is, is knowing how to do the stuff, not a background to why you do it and all that. I am going to work toward the other belts, but thats not a priority right now.

and BTW, yea there is an MMA place here, The Lions Den, its Shamrock's place. I almost thought of going there, but like i said, once i saw all the mma stuff, i didn't really like it.

it is interesting stuff and there is allot of culture involved. But, knowing that nun chucks started out as tool to separate rice from the plant won't do you allot of good against that mugger at the gas station who's ramming your head into the gas pump.

There is a reason people don't go to UFC only knowing one discipline, they will get their ass kicked.

but if you want to learn a "martial art" may I suggest kickboxing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back