Another martial arts thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
if it's all about focus and art then go with thai chi. that will benefit you the most. if you are looking at handing out a straight ass whoopen' look into muy thai or that krav maga i keep hearing about.

Tai Chi, not Thai Chi... has nothing to do with the Thais. :)

Calesta said:
Tai Chi, not Thai Chi... has nothing to do with the Thais. :)

Its spelled many different ways.

I had a professor who was a master and taught the art, and I know he spelled it differently from both of those ways - and I've seen him spell it a handful of different ways.

Blanco said:
Until you guys experience what a true traditional art can offer, you'll never understand it. An 80 year old Aikido Master could wipe the floor with damn near any 20-30 year old UFC fighter, using just that one style. History and culture (tradition) are an extremely small part. It's the spiritual development and focus on developing oneself as a person along with developing oneself as a warrior. That Charter in my signature isn't just a bunch of fluff, it's how I live my life and it's how every pracitioner of Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan should live their lives. But you'd be sadly mistaken to think I can't defend myself when the time arises.

It's not the art so much as it is the focus. Schools that teach mindless violence should be avoided as should schools that only teach linear styles. Linear styles should be a second or third style, not a primary. Those are the styles that don't work well. Ring sports are for the ring.

Oh man come on Blanco, your drinking the Cool Aid.

To think any unarmed 80 year old man could take out Chuck Lidell (Kempo, JuJitsu, Kick Boxing, & Armature Wrestling trained) is laughable. I'll agree that some martial arts are relativly useless outside of their own worlds but in ANY martial art it's more about the artist then the art itself. I know an ATA blackbelt who could prolly clear out your entire school and ATA is (IMO) one of the worst systems out there.

people like Matt Hughes and other UFC'ers fight in a ring but I'm pretty sure they could kick all of our asses in a ring, isle 4 of wallmart, or anywhere else for that matter

Silverchild79 said:
Oh man come on Blanco, your drinking the Cool Aid.

To think any unarmed 80 year old man could take out Chuck Lidell (Kempo, JuJitsu, Kick Boxing, & Armature Wrestling trained) is laughable. I'll agree that some martial arts are relativly useless outside of their own worlds but in ANY martial art it's more about the artist then the art itself. I know an ATA blackbelt who could prolly clear out your entire school and ATA is (IMO) one of the worst systems out there.

people like Matt Hughes and other UFC'ers fight in a ring but I'm pretty sure they could kick all of our asses in a ring, isle 4 of wallmart, or anywhere else for that matter

Indeed.

Martial artistist seem to underestimate everyone else and overestimate themselves.

Someone with the technique such as hughes, coupled with his awesome strength would be picking you up and plowing your head into the ground, literally, numerous times before you could actually defend yourself. Sure there's ways to get out of double leg take downs and bear hugs, but not when someone has strength and expertise so sound that they can execute the move in an instant.

pissedoffsol said:
i'd like to see jet li or chuck norris or some shit go in there... see what they can do :p

i'm in the same boat. the closest we will ever get was that lame ass movie "cradle to the grave". It had jet li and tito ortiz square off. I would like to see real life though.

I'll bet on Ortiz, Jet Li isn't shit without his flying wires, hell we won't need a wire, Ortiz will give him a whole wire fense!

...because you'd ever be in position to "just kick a MMA fighter in the knee and break his leg".

I hate to tell you, but he's not going to stand there and let you execute this move with a smile on his face.

When you're going to kick him, he's going to pick you up. When you're above his head for a split second and then back down on the ground on YOUR head, with your brains on the pavement, tell me how you fare.

Its not about muscle, its about power and technique. In a split second you'd be stunned with an extremely powerful punch or choke or throw or takedown, or whatever the case may be. Are you so athletic that you can outclass a world class athlete simply because you're a martial artist?

I'm pretty sure that Matt Hughes is a world class athlete. I'm pretty sure he's a national champion. I'm pretty sure he's more athletic and more skilled than all the other world class athletes he has beaten - afterall thats why he wins.

As I said, people like yourself overestimate your ability and underestimate the ability of others. I'd love to put money on you breaking the leg of a trained athlete, in a real life situation. Obviously it cannot be replicated, but its my hypothesis that you'd have zero chance. You'd be out before you know it, any of us would. So keep dreaming.

Blanco said:
Jet Li has been studying Wushu since he was four years old. He is literally so fast that his movements have to be slowed down so normal people can see them. Speed equals power...basic Newton. Yep, he isn't shit unless there's a camera around. I even bet that you could kick his ass with your remote control.

Fix your equation.

Speed DOES NOT equal power.

I googled a little "Lesson 1" information for you, so your incredibley enlightened self could be enlightened further.
Power

Strength + Speed = Power.
i.e., Force + Velocity = Power.

Because one posses great speed, does not mean they possess great power. Its a major factor or power, but its only one half of the equation. They're certainly not synomous. I'd venture a guess that Jet Li isn't very strong. I'd also venture a guess that Matt Hughes isn't as fast as Jet Li. Therefore they both possess abnormally great abilities of one half of the formula, respectively.

Why then, in your opinion, is Jet Li favored to win a fight? If going on scientiffic principles only, then there would be a 50/50 chance. Obviously you can't on scientiffic principles, but both people are highly trained experts.

You underestimate others which is foolish at best.

///end my participation.

"so you think your kung-fu is pretty good huh.. i want to fight your brother.. him against me, LETS KUNG-FU!!"

eg6sir said:
"so you think your kung-fu is pretty good huh.. i want to fight your brother.. him against me, LETS KUNG-FU!!"
Guttermouth- " Bruce Lee vs. the Kiss Army"

You've done it in real life...against untrained monkeys, you dimwhit.

Thats my point.

Someone who's a world class athlete and a expert. Being a world class athlete isn't just about strength, its about speed, strength, conditioning, reaction time, etc., etc.

You beat a world class athlete at their expertise, and I'll give you whatever the hell your heart desires. Its not happening, or else you'd be world class - but obviously you're not. You're not even that experienced of a martial artist. Basically you're talking shit from the bottom of the pile. Stay down there, where you belong, and keep quiet. :)

Blanco said:
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!one.

My Master has been an engineer for CalTrans for 20 years. I'm pretty sure he knows just a tad bit more about physics than you. I'm sorry that I didn't go completely in depth. That's why I said "BASIC". Reading comprehension > You. If I throw a 100mph punch at you, it's going to hurt regardless of how much muscle I have in my arm...no I don't think I can punch that fast it's just an example. There's so much more that goes into it than just extending your arm to make contact with someone but I really don't have either the want, will, or time to go into with someone who doesn't care.

Strength and power are two very, very different things. Ask any olympic power lifter and they'll tell you the same. You punch with the strength from your arm and shoulder. I punch with the power from my entire body. You stay tense while you're throwing a punch and I stay completely relaxed until a split second before impact. Then there's the transfer of energy (chi) which is something that I expect you to scoff at, since it's something that you are incapable of understanding. Now, I would expect both Jet Li and this Matt Hughes, who's dick you seem to like riding, to be exponentially better than either of us.

You're wrong and you're an ignorant sod who doesn't know shit about what he's talking about. Thank you, drive through.

Also I never said power and strength were the same thing, you dolt.

I pointed out that you said they were. Thank you for proving my point.

And no the basic equation was listed in that "Lesson 1" website. Learn lesson one before you start talking smack.

Velocity + force = power. Aka Speed + strength = power.

Never did I indicate they were the same thing, I pointed out your mistake in classifying Jet Li powerful because he posesses great speed. He only has one aspect of power mastered, he's certainly not an "UNUSUALLY" strong person.

Blanco has been watching to many Segal movies on TNT

Speed does not equal power, I throw blurry quick jabs at my friends all the time to scare them, when they hit they don't hurt any worse the a bee sting, yet 9/10 times it's so quick they don't even have time to flinch

When UFC was young and EVERYTHING was legal with no time limits, points, etc there were people from all walks of life who entered to fight, even Akido. Who won? A grappler by the name of Royce Gracie beat fighters from every descipline on earth, he even put down a 55 year old Kempo "master"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back