Another new guy curious about mini me swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RookieBoyCRXSI

hey got a 91 crx si, great condition, 219 k, thinking about mini me swap to Y8 vtec head. What type of wiring do i need to do, i heard that i dont need to change my distributor because mine is an si... True or false. I also read that i need a p28 controller or something. Do i need a wiring harness from a d16y8 car or am i okey? Can i use my d16a intake and exaust manifold until i beef it? I also know that i must remove the oil jet, but is there a better oil pump that will slip right in? Anything else I miss that i need to know? Thanx for the help.

you have a couple of choices for vtec activation

1: field or apexi vtec controllers both work ok but the apexi i would recoomend you get tuned

2: obd1 conversion you need 2 jumper harnesses 1 for the distributer and one for the ecu wich also means you need a obd1 dist. and ecu (p28)

3: this is my set up obd0 PW0 ecu (jdm b16 crx sir) works great but, dumps a lot of fuel and you have to add a 2nd o2 sensor and a knock sensor as well as the vtec wires.
i run this setup with the vafc apexi controller

4: this is the ghettto ways rpm activation switch , button or shift light the problem with these is these do not add fuel like the vtec controllers at vtec crossover and also the shift light and button overheat your vtec solenoid after a bout 3 kiks into vtec.

hope this helps if you have any more questions, just ask

oil jet needs to be romoved from block since the head already has one

exhaust manifold and intake bolt right up same shit

distributer only if you change over to obd1

wiring depends on what you do vtec controller obd 0 ec or obd1 ecu

So if i went with, lets say apexi vtec controller all i would have to do it follow the instructions, and get it tuned. Just cuz im so horrible with electronics without instructions. Dont want to sound like an idiot, but what is an ecu, an electronic control unit? Sorry... muscle car buff originally... If i get the apexi controller, anything else i need do? Thanx for the help

I have no clue what the second one is... but yeah, the first one is what you want. It's just a little too expensive- for that price you can convert to OBD1 and run an OBD1 P28 ECU. A VAFC should cost quite a bit less than that. Give the shop in my signature a call.

The oil jet in the block and the oil pump are two completely different things. You don't have to replace the oil jet with anything.

The ECU controls all the fuel and timing maps for your injection system.

you want that first choice
ecu= electronic control unit
oil jet in the block must be pulled out since the vtec head already has one ive tired it it made a diffrence
what you might want to consider also would be a d16z6 oil pump it deliveres oil a a higher rate than the one you have right now

Yea okey, sorry i meant a better higher volume oil pump for the d series.
Thank you guys, helped alot.

Last edited:
Basically all i need then is my rebuilt z6 head, z6 distributor, obd1 p28 ecu, obd0-obd1 ecu adaptor harness, the obvious gaskets, tune up, and head studs... cant forget the pretty valve cover... My pockets are gonna be empty for a bit i guess, but it will be worth it, thanxs guys.

Back