1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Noob Needs Swap Info

Discussion in 'Civic and CRX - EF' started by sexyrex, Sep 4, 2006.

1. sexyrex

sexyrex New Member

Got an 1989 CRX Si. Seafoamed the intake manifold/combustion chamber and now it makes a loud knocking noise. Possibly a valve train problem, im not sure, tried diagnosing it but to no avail, i can't rule out the problem... just a loud tapping/knocking around the top-end. And the clutch pedal also vibrates when depressed half way which didnt happen before the 'seafoam process'.

Anyways, i'm looking for a new engine preferably not a d16a6 motor. Maybe a step up, like a b18a1 motor. I need a thorough parts list and walkthough guide, not a "USE SEARCH BUTTON" or "GOOGLE THIS AND THAT" bullshit... I need to find all the information all from one place without looking at 2, 3, 4 sources for information, since it gets a bit confusing.

I've been reading the forums a bit, and it seems like the 90-91 b18s are the easiest to swap with minimal wiring. So to my understanding these parts would be required:

D16a6 parts used:
    Distributor
    Harness
    ECU

B18a1 parts used:
    engine
    transmission
    axles

Misc. parts used:
    engine mounts

is this correct? also can i fabricate the mounts? do i have to pound the engine bay by the shock tower? swapping pulleys? or cables? etc.......thx in advance!

2. jlicrx

jlicrx Senior Member

to install the LS OBD0 B18A1 in your Si - you need the B18A1 engine, B-series transmission, 90-93 Integra intermediate axle shaft, 90-93 Integra axles and the OBD0 Integra PR4 ECU - use the engine harness from the D16A6 - you need to purchase a B-series to EF mount kit and shift linkage from someone like Hasport, you can use the Si throttle and clutch cables - you will need to bash in the side of the frame rail on the driver's side to clear the alternator - you will need the transmission mount bracket that goes from the transmission to the mount on the chassis from 90-93 Integra - finding a B18A1 in "real good" condition is not that easy - most of them are used up and need rebuilt - before installing the engine, it is not a bad idea to get a new clutch kit, new timing belt, new water pump, new front and rear crankshaft seals and a new oil pan gasket - you will also need little items, like hoses, oil, oil filter, coolant, spark plugs, etc.

3. sexyrex

sexyrex New Member

thx for the information. i am in real need of an engine. the connecting rod broke less than an hour ago, cutting a gapping hole right around cylinder #1. before that, i performed a compression test - 1-180 2-180 3-180 4-120, and than a leak-down test, turns out air was escaping through the intake valves. 1 or 2 reasons could have caused this, hydro-lock or carbon bending the valves after being seafoamed. So take caution with seafoam or other decarbonizing fluids, follow the directions....1/3 not a whole can.....

but, sounds like i need a whole 2nd gen teg to work with. any straight drop-ins for the CRX or should i just stick with a d16a6 motor?

4. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

d16a6 or b18a would be your best bets with the rex

btw, it does sound like the seafoam hydro locked. you already mentioned it, but you should only use 1/3 of a can in the intake...any more than that can potentially hydro lock the engine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted