Another question for my fellow computer geeks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fact: Samba almost never works perfectly with Windows, especially after a major Windows update.

Fact: Linux takes time... why serve the files through a Windows share using a non-Windows machine? All the other machines in the network will be M$.

Fact: PH JetDirect servers are pretty sweet, and they run about $150-250, depending on what you want to get. I'm pretty sure that they're only good for HP printers though.

personally, i think i want to know what kidna of printer you are trying to use here....

are you setting up a NETWORK printer,
or a printer conneted to a machine tat will be shared over the network?

that makes a big difference- especially in the print spooler.

as for a file server.... well...i recommend redhat. but hey, thats me.

RedHat would be worth while if:
1. He had the time and desire to learn to run Linux effectively and securely and,
2. There was a non-Windows machine on the network besides the file server.

As for installing properly everytime, the only distro (of the ones I tried, RedHat is not in this list) I found that does was Mandrake. SuSE requires you install from an FTP site. No. Gentoo corrupts the boot partition when you follow their instructions. No. And Mandrake requires that I track down dependencies when I try and compile anything. No. FreeBSD installed properly the first time and with thier ports tree I simply type make and it does all the dependency checking for me (it even grabs the newest versions if I tell it to). I still would not reccomend FreeBSD as a solution here.

red hat has more support than mandrake does. i've never had a problem. i simply used a partion magic disk to format the partition for linux, and then booted from the cd.

http://www.linuxiso.org owns j00 :)

and while, i agree it may not be the easiest to setup- i think it will perform the best for what he wants it to do.

set it up, get it on the network, sell the monitor and keyboard that was at that station :) deal with it all remotely.

My concern with RedHat (in my situation anyways) is that Mandrake was based off of RedHat so when compiling I am still going to have to track dependencies. I do not want to have to do this and FreeBSD does it for me. It may be lazy, but running Linux is not important enough to me to be worth all the extra hassle.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 16 2003, 05:50 PM
personally, i think i want to know what kidna of printer you are trying to use here....

are you setting up a NETWORK printer,
or a printer conneted to a machine tat will be shared over the network?

that makes a big difference- especially in the print spooler.

as for a file server.... well...i recommend redhat. but hey, thats me.

Slackware > ALL

I remember when it was Slackware = ALL :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 16 2003, 05:18 PM
i've never had any dependency issues... what exaclty didn't work?

I don't remember what I was trying to install, I think it was AYTTM (AIM, IRC, ICQ, Yahoo) client much like trillian for Linux users. I have since moved to FreeBSD and I do not have any dependency issues.

If Slackware doesn't track dependencies then it goes in the trash with all of the other distros I have tried.

Back