another reason not to get a bike

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erebunicrx

my name is Dale
today i was coming down the road and i seen a couple of cops blocking traffic. i slow down and see somekind of street bike in the middle of the inersection. i go around the corner and park to find out what the hell happend. i found out that a cop slowed down before the intersection with his sirens on and he did not see the bike coming and went threw the intersection. the guy on the bike had a green light and kept going right in to the side of the police car. the guy flipped over the cruiser and landed on the side walk. he was wearing a helmet but im not sure if it saved him or not. meanwhile the ambulance picks the guy up off the side walk and waits like 15 min before attemping to leave and then stops again for another 5 min. the cop that was hit got taken away with a neck brace on. finally the ambulace left but without the sirens or anything on.

so im not saying the guy on the street bike was speeding or anything but SLOW THE FUCK DOWN.
most of the time its not you its the other guys fault. look at E. not his fault but he almost payed his life for someone else's mistake. just be carefull you guys!!!

NEWSFLASH!

All over the world. (Reuters)

16 year old Tony Deschutes was killed this morning while riding to school on his motorcycle. George Branson of the local town pulled out in front of him in a classic oblivious old person maneouver.

"OMG, his shit got wrecked!" said one eyewitness.

"I was tuning in my radio to NPR when my car shook and I saw a young man fly over my hood," said Branson, the 98 year old driver of the Caddillac.

These things happen daily, and are a reality of riding. When your time comes, your time comes.

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Jun 23 2004, 05:13 PM

so im not saying the guy on the street bike was speeding or anything but SLOW THE FUCK DOWN.
most of the time its not you its the other guys fault. look at E. not his fault but he almost payed his life for someone else's mistake. just be carefull you guys!!!

Why should he slow the fuck down? sounds like the cop misjudged what he was trying to do and hurt/killed someone

If the guy flew over the car Im guessing hes alive I know many people who have pulled the flying though the air trick most were brused up,and at most they broke a bone or two

I can think of 3 people I know in person who has done it as with a handful of others from the net none have been killed from flying over the cars it's when you fly INTO the cars thats when you get hurt

anyways it sounds like the cop is 100% at fault

you telling him to slow the fuck down is no different then telling E he was fuck tard for speeding when he hit that truck even though he wasnt but shit lets yell at him anyways

i was not telling him to slow down. i was actually telling you to. i did not want to say jeffie slow the fuck down but your always talking about beating this person and that car. i dont want to read you got fucked up cuz some old lady pulled out in front of you. just trying to help you out. maybe tonight or tommorow you'll think about this story for a second while riding your bike and be like maybe i schould slow down for a little while.

not being a dickhead but just think about the story.

i dont think slowing down would of helped at all and if it did, i bet he would of either layed it down and slide into the cop or still hit the side and fly over. perhaps cops should be more coscious (sp) when going the red lights at intersections...

Originally posted by erebunicrx@Jun 23 2004, 06:07 PM
i was not telling him to slow down. i was actually telling you to. i did not want to say jeffie slow the fuck down but your always talking about beating this person and that car. i dont want to read you got fucked up cuz some old lady pulled out in front of you. just trying to help you out. maybe tonight or tommorow you'll think about this story for a second while riding your bike and be like maybe i schould slow down for a little while.

not being a dickhead but just think about the story.

I do speed a lot and I bought my bike to do that =)

most bad crashes happen when you're driving the speedlimit in this case I bet the guy was going home from work was a few cars back from the car in front of him doing the speed limit on a 1 lane each way road

the cop was trying to make a left turn but had to many cars in his way and as soon as he got his first break in traffic he took the turn and WAM motorcycle went into him

I've raced cars/bikes a good bit of times I've been over 140mph to many times to count

Most of the time when you're on split road with 2 lanes going each way with turn on roads then it's not so bad unless a deer runs out

slower 1 lane each way roads can be tough thats when you have people pulling out in front of you and thats where the problem is

so far I've NEVER had a problem when doing 80-140mph never once have I had a close call "wait I take that back" ONCE I jumped my bike doing 80-90ish and landed kinda sideways and went into a tankslapper but other then that NADA

now on the other hand doing the speedlimiit riding to work I've had way to many close calls to count I've been inches of being hit more times then Id like to think one day I almost had to lay my bike down due to some asshat but hey thats apart of riding

most of my near crash rides have been in the 35-45mph range

as to the comment someone said before about me feeling likeIm a great rider and everyone else should see the videos/hear the storys well why is it that I wear FULL gear head to toe I have about $1000 worth of gear on me at any givin time when Im riding a bike I wear the gear becuase I KNOW I will go down

it's going to happen sooner or later and trust me posting it here will be one of the firsrt things I do if I live

Ride safe and keep the shiny side up!

I can only try =)

Jeffy- if an emergency vehicle has its lights on, it has the right of way in EVERY situation. In this case, in a court of law, the motorcycleist is at fault, because he didn't yield to an emergency vehicle. Don't believe me? Wait a few weeks 'till you go into the Police Acadamy and learn it yourself. :)

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jun 23 2004, 09:27 PM
Jeffy- if an emergency vehicle has its lights on, it has the right of way in EVERY situation. In this case, in a court of law, the motorcycleist is at fault, because he didn't yield to an emergency vehicle. Don't believe me? Wait a few weeks 'till you go into the Police Acadamy and learn it yourself. :)

Yes you are right

however, when I went on the ride along we used our lights ONCE the whole day other then that he left them off and I've seen through-out this county the cops do not use their lights even when on call

When I asked why the cop made a good point.

If you turn on your lights while you're driving down the road EVERYONE acts like a deer in headlights and freaks out and thinks what do I do what do I do what do I do "I've seen it myself people freak!"

if you leave the lights off the first thing someone does is pulls the fuck over so they can get out of the cops way becuase they're afraid they might see the lights if they don't =)

Turst me if I see a cop, ambulance, firetruck I pull the fuck over I hate when people don't

on another note DC sucks ass!!!! when it comes to pulling over I was leading a pack of cars maybe 4 cars behind me and I saw a ambulance behind us all so what do I do? I pulled over and EVERY fucker passed me as far as I could see they never did pull over they just keep up with the speed of the ambulance.... fuckers!

It's pretty rear for people to pull over in DC so I've heard.... and saw first hand

fuckers that pissed me off

Chances are that cop even if he was on a call DID NOT have his lights on

Originally posted by jeffie7@Jun 23 2004, 06:57 PM
I can think of 3 people I know in person who has done it as with a handful of others from the net none have been killed from flying over the cars it's when you fly INTO the cars thats when you get hurt

speed doesnt kill ... but those sudden stops are a motherfucker :(

and on a side note to the whole cop having the right of way thing .... yes... to an extent .... police ambulances firetrucks etc ALL are required to slow and make sure the intersection is clear and safe before proceeding through.... durring the day time it is hard to see the lights anyway and what if there is a person comming that is hearing impaired... the siren doesnt mean shit.... they MUST make sure the intersection is clear before going into it

the cop ran a red light... he is at fault... end of story

i thought emergency vehicles still have to slow down to make sure its safe to run the red light; thats what they always do down here.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jun 24 2004, 07:10 AM
i thought emergency vehicles still have to slow down to make sure its safe to run the red light; thats what they always do down here.

yeah thats what i said right above you

Nah not true.

If the light is green your way, and an emergency vehicle is coming through, they have to come to a complete stop and make sure the intersection is clear before they can enter it.

Its a different story if the light is green for you and for the cop...like he's right behind you going through the intersection or some other weird scenario.

Having the christmas tree on isn't free license to do whatever, they still have to do things like pause at the intersection...too many people have died otherwise.

*slaps head for not reading the entire thread before posting*

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Jun 24 2004, 11:42 AM
Did you just... slap me?

I just blew a load it must have been me

how about instead of making threads about reasons why NOT to get a bike....

we make one about why you should get one

1.better mpg than nearly all cars
2. riding is the one of the most fun things a person can do
3. better handling, braking, and acceleration than nearly all cars
4. cheap insurance (varies)
5. cost of bike is cheaper than a car
6. chicks <3 bikes

and if you still arent convinced...go ride one

While doing some work in the garage, in a zen-like state of timelessness, I came to think about the injuries you can get on a bike.

Working in a garage you can end up seriously damaged. Head injuries, losing an eye, getting cut far worse. Snagging your finger in a bench sander. Dropping something on your foot. The car could fall down !

But we all do it, it's what has brought us all together.

On that same note, packing an overpowered (And somewhat overboard) big motor into a tiny little car is also ushering in danger. While driving the MR2 home today, I realised "This thing has so much power, that within seconds and without effort you can get into a really dangerous situation". And it's true. Hell, even my CRX can get away from me.

#7 - If the world rode bikes, at least once, on a public road there would be significantly less auto accidents. Being a bike rider enhances your sense of responsibility and awareness - And that goes with you when you're in a car
#8 - Comradery. You'll make friends with quality people, who look out for you and help you when you need it.
#9 - You can park anywhere. Fill your seat pack and go hiking - You'll be able to park up close at some of the best (and busiest) sites on the trail. You'll have front row views at 4th of July.
#10 - Ease of ownership. You can store it inside, lock it up, and give it no thought when it's off season (Although I can guarantee that you will crave that bike when the snow falls)

It's funny, for the brief amount of time I had a Corvette - I went to a bar with it, and was impressing some chix with Vette. Then this dude, who I know didn't pay over $2000 for a Harley, wound up with both in his arms. Yeah, they were sluts, but still - Girls REALLY love bikes. I'm serious.

-> Steve

Back