Another shooting... :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just read up. It was a glock 9mm and a .22

Whats the statistic about the percentage of shots missed, compared to those fired when the shooter is in a face to face situation and confronted. Its pretty damn high.
80% is the average.

In the video on CNN, the interviewer asks the "gun expert".. "So, if you had a 15 round clip in the gun and one in the chamber, how fast could you shoot off all 16 rounds" Expert: "In a second or less".

Thats pushing world class shooters. In reality, I dont think that can be done. Not by a human, anyway.

The M16, a fully automatic assault rifle shoots 650-700 rounds a minute. Lets call it 800 because yours is better than everyone else's. Thats still only 13 rounds per second.

The news is so full of crap its not even funny.

80% inaccuracy as in 8 out of 10 shots fired are missed, or 80% accuracy where 8 out of the 10 shots hit?

8 of 10 miss.

Its a study of all of the recorded impromptu firearm fights. When the fight breaks out, and the inital shots are fired in the heat of the moment, 80% of the shots fired miss. And they believe that two shooters, of the thousands of videos they studied, actually took the time to aim.

This was a study of people who are certified and train constantly with their guns. Who rely on their guns for survival on a daily basis. (Police officers) Just think what would happen in the hands of a scared shitless college student.

Last edited:
Listen, the solution to violence can't be to arm all - that doesn't solve the problem that causes the problem to escalate.

The true answer is to disarm the "bad' people. How do you do this? You disarm everyone.

You're right those guns weren't used for hunting and you're also right that this crime would never have been so sincere had there not been guns involved. What does this say about the situation? Eliminate the guns and you eliminate the severity. Arming everyone does nothing to decrease the severity, but rather levels the 'playing field'.

As I said, I'm not anti-gun. I'm anti stupid people with guns. How do you solve this problem? Just like you solve every other problem, by punishing the majority and taking away the guns.

We have to drive 45mph not because we can't perform and drive efficiently at those speeds but because some little old grandma can't perform above those speeds, so for the protection of the general populous a law is applied across the board.

8 of 10 miss.

Thats what I thought the statistic was but I wanted to clarify so I wasn't being ignorant here.

It just proves my theory that too many people have watched Arnold and action movies, giving delusions of grandeur that they can be some super hero, blazing guns and conquer the world.

If someone else was packing, there was a 20% chance of him or her hitting the gunman point blank. I don't know about you, but I'm not going to vegas and betting my life savings on a 20% chance - those odds suck.

Also the police don't carry guns to stop crime (hell, many on here were just complaining how they can't stop crime or even shoot a can off of a fence) they carry guns to RESPOND to crime. Guns aren't deterrents, simply a means of responding with the same means of force.

killer identified.

Breaking News | News & Media | Latest Current - FOXNews.com

FOXNews.com - FOX Facts: Alleged Virginia Tech Gunman Cho Seung-Hui - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

this gets worse and worse
ABC News cited unnamed sources as saying Cho returned to his own dorm room after the initial shootings, where he re-armed himself and took the time to write a "disturbing note" before heading to Norris Hall.

i'm about to piss off a lot of people.
A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho was carrying a backpack that contained receipts for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol.

why the fuck are immigrants allowed to buy weapons here? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think it's legal anywhere else to buy a gun if you aren't a true citizen.

"He was a loner, and we're having difficulty finding information about him," school spokesman Larry Hincker said.
oh, fucking imagine that. since when did the homecoming king go on a shooting rampage.

maybe instead of more gun control, we should focus on who is coming into the country. now listen closely, there are many good immigrants here, but there are also a lot of fucked up ones. look what is going on here. the last 10 years, U.S. colleges have educated the worst killers. this guy, the WTC terrorists, all this shit is immigrants who are going to our schools. probably for free with u.s. grants and scholarships. fuck i wish i had the money to go off the grid.

Last edited:
Someone in the VT administration is to blame.

If emails were sent out to cancel classes right when gunshots were first heard from the "gunman on the loose" (at 7:15), then all those classrooms could have possibly been empty.

doubtful. It may have stopped some, but i rarely even check my email before going into work... and i never got up early enough to check it before an 8am class.
even if it went out, 98% of the population wouldn't have gotten it.

RD's/RA's should have been called, and blocked exits on the dorm telling people to stay in their rooms or some shit.

but there is where the problem lies, your tellin me that the guy that did all this shooting had his guns for hunting purposes i didn't think so.

they were both hand guns. a 22 and a 9mm i beleive the news said. Not hunting rifles.

if you go hunting with a handgun, you might be a moron.

the fact of the matter is it wasn't the gun who killed anybody it was some sick twisted asshole who probably never got hugged from his mother enough that killed all these people. and i don't care but even if he had no access to a gun you don't think he would have found another way to do what he did today, granted it wouldn't have been as high a number by the time he was taken down but he still would have been able to do damage without a gun.
The old "guns don't kill people, people do" adage is true....
But i think that's not the point here. The point was how the arming of normal citizens could have prevented this.

Had I been there, and Had I been packing, unless the guy was in my face theres a damn good chance i wouldn't have even drawn my weapon, and hid away with the rest of the crowd.
I think most people would do the same.... if you CAN, get the F out of dodge.

And how long do you think he would have lasted up there had he been in an armed populace?

a pistol aiming at a sniper position in a tower? I don't think theres a single person on this forum who could have picked him off (with the exception of maybe b16vx or wykedSnyper. :D ), especially with a hand gun.

When you have that kind of power in your posession, you realize that without respect for the consequences of using it, you can easily destroy not only your life but the lives of those around you.
"With great power, comes great responsibility"
-Spider man

gay, but true.

I can't think of a single reasonable senario where an armed student would have made the situation worse.
maybe not for the attacker, but i bet you money, if a student took out the killer, he'd be locked up in jail right now, awaiting trial for murder, instead of being hailed as a hero.

THAT'S they problem with using your gun. You do the right thing, and you still get fucked.

couldn't disagree more. It sounds cliche, but were it not for the armed citizen, this country would not exist. So the right to keep and bear arms was only meant to be temporary? How many other constitutional rights are you willing to put an expiration date on?
Well, let's see.

we lost our freedom of speach (see don imus, howard stern)
we lost our fredom of the press (see clear channel taking over everything)
we lost our right to privacy since the patriot act
and i can go on for a while but don't have time.

Sorry man, your views come from living a sheltered life in a college dorm. Live in the real world for about 5 years and make your own judgements instead of believing all the bullshit that your peers and the media have obviously been shitting all over you.

Ian lives just out side the crime capitol of the world. I work just outside bridgeport, which is probably the 3rd or 4th on the list.
You really don't know what its like until you've been "in the suck".

An armed populace would be bad. Someone would loose their cool and shoot someone. then there would be guns everywhere and everyone would shoot everyone. Think about it, A bunch of nervous college kids with guns.
if anything, i thought YOU would be for this. I'm shocked that you agree with me on this one.

Now, ARMED and well trained security guards could very well be the answer.
UNTIL someone F's up and shoots an innocent person... and then that's front page news for a month

That is what I'd like to believe, anyway. I mean, I dont know anyone who would allow that to happen.
sure it would.
look at 9/11.
other than flight 93, no one fought back and just sat there until their deaths.
Granted the first plane and probably even the 2nd didn't know about the crashes at the time and just thought they were going to go for a ride to some other place like in the movies....

people panic in situations, and unless you have a snakes on the plane mother fucker to step up, people go crazy and run instead of handling the situation. It's human nature to be a passive in a life threatening situation.

Just watch your classmates get killed like sheep. Everyone does what the gunman says, until the gunman starts shooting people. We all have a survival instinct. Its built in. Hard wired.
agreed--- but again, people panic.
unless you've been in war, you have no idea what its like being shot at. And 99.99% of people would crawl under their desks and try to hide and shake with fear.

I can't say for sure what i would have done there.....
but had one of my friends been taken out, i would like to think that I would have charged with a desk in my hands for cover and tried to put him through the wall.... but i can't say for sure as i wasn't there and have never been in that situation.

But i will say this.... when i get pissed off, like really pissed off, i flip out... like, you throw a punch at me and i laugh at you in your face because i don't even feel it.

And the dude that posted 4 gunmen and a bomb.. I'd be willing to bet its just some random dude screwing with people on the intardnet.
seems that way... although the news hinted at the possibility that thei first shooting was by someone else than the 2nd.... don't know for sure.

Last edited:
if anything, i thought YOU would be for this. I'm shocked that you agree with me on this one.

I carry a gun. Its wonderful. But I sure as hell dont want EVERYONE carrying guns. I get to carry because I have taken time to get the training, get certified, and havent done anything incredibly stupid in my life. (Criminal background check must be passed).

. I get to carry because I have taken time to get the training, get certified, and havent done anything incredibly stupid in my life. (Criminal background check must be passed).

it's really not that hard to get certified and go the legal path. And that might be the real problem.

It's too easy (what, a course, and some paper work?? getting your license is harder) and unfortunately, its too easy to NOT follow the rules.

Gun shops and dealers should have much stricter rules on selling... and any gun sold 'aftermarket' needs to be registered in the state as for sale, much like the title/reg at the DMV for your car.

as for the background check,
everyone is clean until they do something.

If memeory serves, this korean kid had a clean record.

all of these kids who go on tears like this have had a clean record. it's because they don't do anything. they just sit and do homework, or play magic, or play online games. they don't ever go out and play. all the kids like us that blew shit up and caused a rucous got it out of our system. we had a chance to do stuff. we learned how to either release anger, or have a little fun. we learned what was acceptable though. when i got in trouble, i literally got fucked up from my parents. now, i'm a model citizen.

these people have no life skills, no social skills, and are unacceptable to have among the public.

um, if they are playing magic with other dork friends, they have social and friend skills dude :p

and really, all these trench coat mafia types are the ones who inveted the anarchists cookbook. they blew shit up their whole lives. lol

Klyph,

I'm 21, a transfer student to my current college, and renting a house that is closer to any real shit then is possible in Alaska. I live right outside of Trenton, NJ and am pretty damn close to Camden, NJ which had the highest murder rate in the country for quite a few years. I grew up outside of NYC as well.

Its a cop out, to pull a statement like Steve would, and say that I'm sheltered or just young and dumb and haven't experienced things. I've been through a hell of a lot in my life that people wouldn't think a little white boy has gone through.

I've had to bury the prom king because he was gunned down in NYC and made the front page of the NY Post multiple times.

I've arrived at my friends house to my rich, white collar family, genuis premed friend packing a gun in his hand, his little brother with coke, knives, and a baseball bat and being told to hop in the car because he was just called and threatened by kids that pulled a knife on his brother and robbed him for $300 and coke a few days before.

I'm not saying that these situations are uncommon or I'm the only one to have experienced anything like this, I'm just simply saying that theres more than anyone online could possibly know about myself and pass judgment that I'm some sheltered little kid. Although I was what some would think of as a stupid little punk in my youth, I started everything in life extremely early.

Here's what I see as the major problem with combating situations such as these;

How can you predict when they're going to occur?
How can you say to all the gun activists who can and cannot possess a gun, when its told to them thats it their right to carry.
How can you make one person put down the gun and let the other guy pick up a gun without offending various groups of people. (Think towards issues of freedom of speech here, you can't even say things that might be bias, let alone say that a minority group can't possess guns.)
How can you screen the good people from the "bad" people when they're coming in the country, when all those bad thoughts may be locked inside of their head and never told to anyone before?

How does a "psycho" look and how does that differ from any other "normal" person?

How can you regulate something so huge, such as say a college campus, national sporting event, or even an entire country, when its such a huge mass that is seemingly uncontrollable?

When you guys can answer all these questions, run for a political position or sell your ideas and you'll be set for life. Right now there's no good, sure fire way to solve the problem or else we would have solved it by now.

Lock down the country? Sure, now we're betraying our founding fathers and the entire idea behind the country. It also won't keep the psychos out that are already in.

The idea I propose is everyone goes on living their everyday life and whatever happens, happens. We try our best to correct the problems, but we don't worry otherwise because life is too short to piss away looking at everything in hindsight and saying could've, should've, would've.

i'm about to piss off a lot of people.

why the fuck are immigrants allowed to buy weapons here? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think it's legal anywhere else to buy a gun if you aren't a true citizen.

oh, fucking imagine that. since when did the homecoming king go on a shooting rampage.

He's NOT allowed to have a firearm. Hello ! Gun control doesn't work ! People STILL have their hands on lethal weapons !

If you ban guns, they'll be more knifings, ban knives and they'll be more 2x4s-across-the-head attacks.

Also, I was homecoming king.

R.I.P the students who have lost their lives and my priers to their families....
I unfortunately woke up this morning to seeing that this shooting has occured

I agree and dissagree with some of your statements (being that the only guns in australia are with cops and gangsters/bikies)

I for one was shocked when it was reported that a asian kid had done this :eek: i myself have grown up with my best friends who are asian....and as i think about it it scares the fuck outta me to think that someone i know, love and care about like brothers could be capable of this
(im not trying to be racist by the way)

i remember a few years ago a jelouse x boyfriend had decided that calling his x a slut wasnt enough and bought a bow and arrow rifle thing was the answer so he shot her and 2 other friends behind her....

the death toll is supprising aswell...in australia we have had a few MAJOR massacres only one comes to mind...The port arthur massacre which at the time i was only a baby but growing up and talking about such things with my parents (including colombine) as i understand it guns is not the only problem here with these things here in australia you can get licenses to have a gun its a bitch to get a gun though and to have a license for a gun you must have a PERFECTLY clean record....(my friend applied and have been done for d.u.i and was declined)

but if you want to get a gun the wrong way 500 bucks will buy you a glock and a shit load of bullets (amazing what bikies sell) so even here the average person could just go get themselves some money and go shoot up a school or a college/university i myself know people who have been shot for no apparent reason.....

and for the blame game....it wouldnt supprise me if video games were to be the first blame after this after a relationship break up (i heard that he shot his x) and then finally MARILYN MANSON.....:(

but i personally would rather just wait untill there is a specific reason or results put out before i decide to place bets on why it happened and how it could have been prevented which yes it could have been prevented in alot of ways but the preventions werent there at the time...

i know from my friend who was stabbed that a knife can do as much damage to the body as a gun can...a stab to the back and through via the heart works well and in broad daylight in the middle of the school playground :eek:

just a few quotes i thought id add that are partially related to the topic

In the end we're all Jerry Springer Show guests, really, we just haven't been on the show

We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.

Last edited:
Here's what I see as the major problem with combating situations such as these;

How can you screen the good people from the "bad" people when they're coming in the country, when all those bad thoughts may be locked inside of their head and never told to anyone before?

How does a "psycho" look and how does that differ from any other "normal" person?

quoted for thruth

He's NOT allowed to have a firearm. Hello ! Gun control doesn't work ! People STILL have their hands on lethal weapons !

If you ban guns, they'll be more knifings, ban knives and they'll be more 2x4s-across-the-head attacks.

Also, I was homecoming king.

If you ban guns, then ONLY the criminals will have em.

If they can illegally get them, I also want the chance to legally fight fire w/fire.

It's interesting to wonder how people come up with the reasoning that more gun laws, or simply banning all guns could possibly solve the problem. Instead of saying "Hey let's just actually start enforcing the laws we have in place already", they spout off with "Ban all the guns!" I guess it's easier to make a simple one-liner than to actually analyze the implications of the issue at hand.

If you ban guns, then ONLY the criminals will have em.

If they can illegally get them, I also want the chance to legally fight fire w/fire.

See how is retaliation a solution, clearly its NOT a solution. It may be a temporary answer, but it will not solve the problem.

I can do lots of things illegally, do you think that to counteract those illegal things that I'm capable of doing that you should be able to legally do them, or do you think perhaps we have to stop the situation all together rather than choosing to escalate the situation to a whole other level?

Honestly, its scary how some on here think. I tell my two housemates that people are saying how others should arm themselves in order to stop situations such as this and my one housemate laughingly mocks that viewpoint and says, "yeah because everyone having guns and shooting one another will solve the situation." and I think to myself, at least in person there's reasonable people that understand my viewpoint.

Hell, my other housemate disagreed with most everything that was said on here and he owns many guns. His father was in the military, his dad is a staunch conservative and a part of the NRA, and believes in the right to bare arms but he still sees a problem in the solution of arming the entire population.

There's too many feeble minded fools that will get too hot headed and cause more lethal incidents if they were armed. Sure you say that shouldn't happen, but neither should 32 innocent people being killed. Neither should the guy who gets clubbed for cutting someone off in traffic or the innocent woman thats beaten by her boyfriend. Lots of things shouldn't happen, but as intelligent beings we must understand that these terrible things CAN and do happen so saying "a trained person would NEVER pull a gun is bullshit." I know that I can heckle certain people on here enough that they would threaten me or pull a gun on me.

It's interesting to wonder how people come up with the reasoning that more gun laws, or simply banning all guns could possibly solve the problem. Instead of saying "Hey let's just actually start enforcing the laws we have in place already", they spout off with "Ban all the guns!" I guess it's easier to make a simple one-liner than to actually analyze the implications of the issue at hand.

Whats more Utopian of an ideal then to ban all the guns?

To solve the problem thats what needs to be done. I think you would be hard pressed to say that by disarming EVERYONE there would still be issues directly related to guns. Sure you may prescribe to the idea of slippery slope and if we take away guns then people will start knifing others, but guns do this funny thing of allowing weak, insecure peoples to feel strong and powerful creating a whole other mindset and allowing them to attack others that they never would have attempted to attack before.

Do you think this fat shit korean kid would have resorted to violence if he were unarmed and there were 10 guys larger than him? I highly doubt it, but because he had a gun as an equalizer he felt empowered to create such a heinous violent act.

My buddy that I talked about having to put in the ground before that was murdered was almost positively murdered by punk gang banger kids because he was 6'8 280lbs. They surely weren't going to attempt to beat the shit out of him when they started a confrontation so what did they do? They pulled a gun and killed him. Explain that.

I'm not anti gun as I said before, I'm anti idiots with guns. How do we insure that no idiots have guns? Take them away from as many people as we can. Just like everything else in life, the minority ruins it for the majority but its the only way to ensure that such crimes don't happen.

Back