another stupid question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rondogg779

i am new to the whole honda thing but i would like to know how to tell which motor i have.i was told that it is a 1.6 v-tec but would that be a b16 d16 or what?it is a 1994 honda civic.if anything just post some pics thanks

on the front of the engine on the left side of the block right next to where the tranny bolts up there will be a flat area with a code stamped into it

engcode1.jpg

engcode.jpg

depending on how filthy your engine is you might need to scrape away a layer of shit to see the code... a large flat screwdriver works well

ok to add to my stupid question....my motor is a b16z6 in comparison is it better or worse than other b16??or just a small explanation of which order they do in according to power and performance.thanks again

I think you need to check it again it should read d16z6 or someone is messing with you. Someone correct me if im wrong the civic did not have the B16 until 1999 and the del sol had it as an option from 94 until end of production. Also the motor in the car should be a single cam. The picture above is a B Series motor.

yeah i typed the wrong thing sorry.but i found a wrecked gsr and were going to go with that motor (b18c1)but im not sure on the tranny.i was told i could go with the b16 for shorter gears any opinions?

The B16 tranny is a lot of fun, but you go through the gears pretty quickly. You also sit rather high in the rpm's at highway speeds. The GSR tranny is a little less aggressive than the B16 tranny, and, IMO, provides a better balance for different types of driving as far as gearing. The LS tranny is going to be a dog, but it will probably save you some fuel.

I would stick with the GSR tranny if you can get it with the motor. It seems to have a good balance between them all...

I agree with George777. I got a Y1 LSD B16 tranny with my swap. The gears are short but it accelerates hard. To solve the high revs on the highway I had a (if I remember correctly its been a while since the swap) LS 5th gear installed to bring the cruising revs down and get like 33 mph. Hope this tranny will work well with the LS/Vtec I'm going to install.

well we do lot of highway driving so im going to go with the gsr when i find one.the wrecked one was dogged out.whats a good price to get one for?the first one i found wasnt but 80 bucks for the block and the heads.now i have a guy trying to sell me a complete motor for $1350 its in his car and running now

As a former muscle car freak something i would suggest. The first thing you should do is start reading up on the site, get books to read and figure out where you want to go with this swap. I f your going N/A you would want closer gears with higher final drive gear or if you want to go forced induction a LS tranny would work great. Here is a good book to read and learn about swaps, what parts work together and what is needed to complete swap Honda Engine Swaps: Civics, Integras, Accords . A tranny by itself can run about 850. I was looking for another Y1 LSD tranny and the price was 1300- 1500. Your best bet would probably go to Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com or similar site. A complete GSR swap will run about 2500 for a good jdm setup. There should be suppliers of jdm motors and trannies near you in SC. If not there are plenty of parts, suppliers and shops in Florida. Take a weekend trip and drive down there I have done it and i live in VA. Plan it out I wish I had done more research and i would have started with a B20 motor when i did my first swap.Just keep reading and asking questions most on here are willing to help. Good Luck.

damn bro. i was just at the junk yard yesterday and i seen a gsr there. dont know exactly what year it was or how good the trans might have been but you should check it out if you get a chance...but are you in SC as in southern california? or SC as in south carolina? i'm in cali now but i have a house in columbia SC as well. i'll be there again in a few weeks. but this trans is in cali. are there junk yards near you n south carolina? if thats where youre from. i'd try there if so. shipping from cali is pricey

yeah im im in south carolina (charleston)but i found someone who has gsr motor on craigslist for 1200 with the tranny.everything is in his car now and he said if i pull i can get it for 12.pullin it is the easy part......here we go

Back