Antifreeze coming out of the tailpipe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I took off my manifold and looking into the engine, I can see antifreeze puddled...is this a sign of a need to replace the HG? I have heard horror stories that it could be a crack head as well...just spent $450 to have oil leaks fixed and the shop wants $800 (approx) to replace the HG...I have the a place where I can go to do this myself, with cert mech on duty (on Air Force Base)...any suggestions? Thanks in advance.:confused:

Antifreeze crisis

Really. A new motor? Wouldn't fixing the HG be cheaper, or are you eluding to other problems or more $$ if I attempt? Please explain.:eek:

Really. A new motor? Wouldn't fixing the HG be cheaper, or are you eluding to other problems or more $$ if I attempt? Please explain.:eek:
a new engine would probably be cheaper. if you replace the hg you will need to mill the head, buy new parts, spend more time and labor in doing the hg than the actual shop. plus it wont be as good as a used engine.

where are you stationed?

a new engine would probably be cheaper. if you replace the hg you will need to mill the head, buy new parts, spend more time and labor in doing the hg than the actual shop. plus it wont be as good as a used engine.

where are you stationed?
up,up, what he said

Antifreeze

I am stationed at Fairchild AFB in Spokane WA.

Thanks for the info...do you normally look in a junk yard, or what?

naa try hmotorsonline but im not sure that they will have a sohc f series, but the f20b and h22 that they sell will bolt up to your tranny and motor mounts

Antifreeze

:D I love Fairchild...

Here is a quote for you...never lend out your car or your girlfriend...you can throw a rod in either one of them!

Thanks...I'll check those sites out.

Antifreeze

Born in Michigan, raised in Florida...4 seasons here and love to hunt.

Didn't find anything...what key words should I use?

what is the year/make/model of your car?

Antifreeze

Took off the head and looks like the HG was leaking...sent the HG to get Mil'd and only costs 65 bucks...putting the rocker arm assembly back on and broke off the last bolt in the tightening sequence (right next to the Timing Belt sprocket)...had to call the wrecking yard and luckly they had a complete head...this really sucked...putting on the rocker arm assembly is not as easy as it was to take off...next time I will have a machine shop do it for me. More to come when I get this back together tomorrow and see if all is good. Fingers crossed.:eek:

Back