Any 92-95 hatch owners taken steps to reduce engine/road noise?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hondafan2

Hi,

I own a 95 DX hatch that is completely stock. I really enjoy this car but I do a lot of highway driving and the noise level in the cabin gets annoyingly loud. I understand this is an economy car so it probably comes from the factory with minimal sound insulation. Has anyone found effective ways of reducing engine and road noise, perhaps using sound deadening material or other means?

If you have any success stories, please post them.

Thanks!

Dynamat is awesome. I had an egg that was fully dynamated. nice n quiet.

But, yeah, its heavy. Go buy a couple of rolls. Remove your seats and carpet, and cover the firewall in dynamat. Then slap a couple of good chunks on the floor where there is no factory sound deadening material.

Then (and hardly anyone does this for some stupid reason) Dynamat the shock towers. Thats where most of your noise is coming from. Hit the insides of the doors with a good chunk, you dont have to cover the entire door to get good sound deadening out of it, I'd say a couple of 4x20" strips would stop a crapload of noise in the doors. Just put it in the middle of the sheet metal.

Then, yank your headliner and slap some on the bare metal areas of your roof.

That should quiet the car down ALOT.

*edit* when doing it like that, be sure to get all of the larger sheetmetal areas with a good sized patch, right in the middle of the sheet metal. Also, you can get into the rear quarters through the panels in the back seat area. slap some in there as well.

cheaper than dynamat - use expanding foam in the quarterpanels :) i did it from firewall to hatch in my 92 hatch.

I have also used some spray on undercoating in a can that you can buy at any autozone. The stuff I bought said that it was for sound deadening as well. It worked well to stop a vibration under the rear speaker deck in my 96 coupe.

but did you ever get the stink out??

And foam in the quarters is a bad idea for the long term. moisture cant get out and starts rusting the car from the inside. but hey, if you're going to sell it in like 2 years anyway, have at it.

Back