Any camera people here??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
Im about to buy my first DSLR camera. Up till now Ive been a point and shoot guy. After the last mega meet though, I saw a shitload of people with nice cameras and lenses and they were taking some incredible shots! Made me want to go out, buy a DSLR camera, wax my car and goto town LOL!

I did some research today on what things mean, what the numbers on the lenses mean etc...After shopping around I came up with this:

Olympus | Evolt E-510 SLR Digital Camera 2-Lens Kit | 262072

For just over $700 it comes with 2 lenses, 2gb card, camera bag, and a wireless remote. Is this a good deal? Is there something better for around the same money I should look at instead?

A few friends use the Canon Rebel's religiously. They tried to sway me away from the Olympus saying Canon is best. But this is a good deal on a package which well get me started in photography.

Thanks for looking :)

Damn, thats a good deal too. Less MP but more lenses and storage with cheaper price. Thanks for the link :)

i have the Olympus e330.. i love it..

I just read on resellerratings.com that the sunshine place has horrible customer service and their cameras cant be warrantied/registered. Did you buy directly from them or was that just a link to the package you bought?

I am currently looking at a Nikon D80 or a Cannon Rebel XTI. Both I have heard are great sub 1k DSLR. Hit up the sites that Calesta posted, dpreview has a pretty great breakdown of features and such.

I just read on resellerratings.com that the sunshine place has horrible customer service and their cameras cant be warrantied/registered. Did you buy directly from them or was that just a link to the package you bought?

Like I said I have now bought seven packages from them and I have never had a problem. I always call them directly and place my order through my school credit card. The factory warranty is valid and I have never had an issue with the cameras. They come in factory wrapping and everything is legit. The only issue I have had is when my student put a card in sideways and bent a connector pin. I took it to my local camera store and they sent it into Canon USA and it was fixed under warranty. I noticed that most of the warranty compaints seem to be from ebay customers buying Nikon cameras. I don't know what to tell you as I have never had an issue with them personally.

Also one thing to remember is that MP size does not directly equate to picture quality. I can/have printed out photos taken with these cameras up to 36 inchs wide with no issue what so ever. The glass included is not the top of the line but it works for the average pro-sumer.

Last edited:
Also one thing to remember is that MP size does not directly equate to picture quality. I can/have printed out photos taken with these cameras up to 36 inchs wide with no issue what so ever. The glass included is not the top of the line but it works for the average pro-sumer.

Werd. Image quality depends on many other factors besides M.P. and it really depends on what print size you're going to be doing.

As for DSLRs, ive heard the Nikon's are to beat. I wouldnt know since Im still using a camera i got in 03 :ph34r:.

You know you should learn a bit about taking pictures first...Like aperature, composition, shutter speeds, etc. You can buy the best camera in the world, but if you dont know what it does than the pictures still wont be good. The camera that you are looking at looks good though and I think you could do a lot with it.

Nikon D40 with a 18-70 and a 70-200. It'll run about 1k, but you'll thank me later.

I hear a lot of great things about the Canons. I'm using a Sony DCS H2, its not an SLR but has or at least had high ranks back in the day. My main beef with the camera and something I will always look into before buying another camera is flash time, how long does it take from picture to picture with flash? When shooting cars even in the brightest of lights, you always want your flash on, my Sony sucks major balls with the time it takes for the flash to be ready. =(
Camera rocks and does everything I need, however I'm looking into replacing it just because of the slow flash.

it was a typo and the deal is dead now.. have you read the thread you posted?

A friend posted a Nikon D80 w/2 lenses for the same price. Im going to go with either the Nikon or the Olympus I posted. Thanks for the help guys :)

picked up a Olympus Evolt E-410 w/2 lenses. It was on sale at circuit city so i said fuck it. $579 for the package was a good deal IMO.

Back