any cyclists?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I've got a 2004 Hardrock in addition to my Allez and fixed gear. I don't do much proper mountain biking though. I need to loose some more weight before I give single track a try. Having this extra weight wouldn't be all that great if I where to go down.

How does your buddy like the Surley? From what I can tell they make a good bike.

Awesome bike, built with great components. Expensive but worth it. The things I don't care for with it, it's a 1x10, I like a little but lower range than what he's got. Also it came with 180cm handle bars. There are a couple places where we ride that make that pretty comical.

Well, she's back together... Front axle is missing a nut and I'm having a hell of a time finding one. M9x1.0... Lowes/HD doesn't carry them and no bike shop has any in stock.

Ended up finding one... I just had to drive across town, something I was trying to avoid

Here's my hybrid. Just for rides in town and towing my boy on rides.

Attachments

• 20150611_125733.jpg
    20150611_125733.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
^I was on vacation.

Also a worthy note . Always check your tire pressure before every ride. a 23-25mm wide tire should be inflated to about 95-105 PSI. I like to ride 100psi up front and 105psi on the rear. If you don't check for proper inflation before every ride you are going to have a lot of pinch flats.

:werd:
before EVERY ride
what a difference a few psi makes...learned that lesson the hard way... then i learned that it is really easy to over-inflate with a CO2 cartridge and blew a hole through the side of the tire and made a GIANT hole in the tube after i just patched the damn tube i pinch flatted... luckily i had a spare tube... so i got to perform my first trail side tube replacement... learned that you can use a dollar bill or a mylar snack bar wrapper to keep the tube from bulging out of the hole in the tire while carefully pedaling your ass 16 miles back to the car... learned that when they say CO2s are "one and done" that doesn't mean you use the whole thing to fill the tire... learned to fill the tire SLOWLY... learned to squeeze my tires after i fill them up every time to familiarize myself with how they are supposed to feel so i hopefully don't do that shit again :)

i run my 25s at 100 front and 110 rear (rated for 120)

i got back in to riding around July last year and managed 1130 miles by December 31st, so i figured id roughly double that as my goal for this year
i total up my miles at the end of every month and as of August 31st I have passed my 2400 mile goal i set for myself (2420 miles) :happydance:
and i still have 4 months left :D ... the bar will be high for next year :)

also i need to figure out how and where im going to do a 100 mile ride this year
anyone local with some input (Denis im looking at you here) im all ears
i usually ride the Farmington Canal trail from Farmington to Westfield MA i can get 67 miles out of that (though it should be extended further north through Westfield MA soon), i may have to just double up and do the lower 30 mile section twice

I have ridden half as much as I did last year. My summer really cut into riding. Damn commitments. I have only driven to work 3 times since Aprilish though. So that is good I guess.

i had though it would be cool to ride to work, its only 5 miles... but then i thought about all the asshole non-driving shitheads i deal with on my way in every morning and decided against it :(

E did you ever try the Airline trail east of the river, or the trail that goes through Chesire and Hamden?

ive done the Cheshire - Hamden one a bunch of times, use to rollerblade that several years ago... when i started biking i stuck mostly to the Farmington trail... i went back to the Cheshire - Hamden trail once last year and did the whole thing (they extended it down to Trumbull St in New Haven) the lower section of that trail goes through some SHIT HOLE neighborhoods with random people hanging by the side of the trail grilling the shit out of you as you pedal by (was rather pleased to be carrying on that ride) aside from that the trail is only about 14 miles end to end so at best i can only get 28 miles without doubling up sections... and i may be a snob but id much rather be pedaling through Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, Granby, Suffield, etc... than lower Hamden, and New Haven :guns:
all in all the northern 2/3 of the Cheshire - Hamden trail is nice, just make sure you turn the hell around at the Stop & Shop in Hamden

havent made it over to the Airline Trail yet... looking at the website it appears to be mostly dirt/gravel surface... might be a good place for my flat bar but probably not for the CF road bike... i do want to check it out at some point though

I didn't realize it went to New Haven, yeah I would be carrying if I went there too. I have done some work in Hamden and can not believe how nice some of the town is and what a shithole the other side of town is. The Farmington north way is a great ride from what I hear, although I never made it past Simsbury.

Back