Any doctors in the house?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swanny

Yesterday I went in to have an allergy test done, found out im allergic to various trees, dust, cats etc. They prescribed a nasal spray and a generic form of allegra.
This morning at 8:30am i took the allegra (180 mg) and nasal spray and was free of allergies but I feel like my damn throat is swelling shut. I looked it up here http://www.drugs.com/Allegra/ and it says:
• Stop taking fexofenadine and seek emergency medical attention if you experience an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives).
Is this really necessary? or will I end up suffocating? Will this stuff wear off soon? It is now 5:30pm here And i am 6'6 240 lbs and I know I am also allergic to sulpha drugs.
TIA

i'm with you guys. these 3 months, are utter hell.

i think i got the flu right now.... and as soon as i'm over this, i'll be sneexing and weexzing for a month

I have allergies every day of the year. Maybe once a month is both of my nostrals (sp?) clear. One is always plugged.

Even though I am not sick right now, one is plugged. Right now, its the left one. It changes every hour or so.

ok. want my opinion??

1) you shouldn't really be taking that crap. all you're doing is supressing your symptoms and not getting rid of the TRUE problem that's CAUSING your allergies.

2) pollens, trees, dander are common allergens among people, and there are much better ways of treating them.

you should see your doctor... and you should NOT take your stuff anymore. you probably felt a sore throat, extreme dryness in your nose, or even inside your head. thanks to allegra (fexofenadine) it dries your ass up. badly. which, i guess is ok.... if you like feeling like shit.

now, you might ask me: what is causing my allergies? well, could be a number of things. most likely, your colon is full of a bunch of waste from the environment, and your liver and kidneys can't do all the work anymore, dumping it thru other means (trying to anyway) but the colon just hangs on to it. causing your sensitivity to common allergens that are normally filtered out through your body naturally, causing you NO harm.

i have NEVER in my life had allergy problems, many people around me do. there is a really WONDERFUL compound from Nature's Sunshine (herbs) called HistaBlock. if Dave doesn't take it... he'll feel like shit....

it's really windy out here, which means pollens and all that crap in the air we breathe just gets blown around, and even more present. however, i'm lucky enough never to have had to deal with it... my body is clean. :) i like to keep it that way... i like being healthy, and not having to count on taking prescriptions daily to 'maintain' health, when all it's doing is 'fooling' my body into thinking it's ok.

if you need any more help, feel free to talk to me in PM or on AIM.

i may not be a doctor, but when it comes to natural health, i'm pretty good. i learned from a naturopathic doctor... and now, i know what i'm going to do. heal people. :)

Originally posted by Blanco+Apr 23 2004, 07:29 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Apr 23 2004, 06:20 PM
i'm with you guys. these 3 months, are utter hell.

i think i got the flu right now.... and as soon as i'm over this, i'll be sneexing and weexzing for a month

Dude, seriously. I love spring, but it just kills me. My worst time is fall though. Made it a real bitch trying to play highschool football.

yeah i know football was hell. you guys think taking some tylenol might reduce the swelling?

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel@Apr 23 2004, 07:30 PM
ok. want my opinion??

1) you shouldn't really be taking that crap. all you're doing is supressing your symptoms and not getting rid of the TRUE problem that's CAUSING your allergies.

2) pollens, trees, dander are common allergens among people, and there are much better ways of treating them.

you should see your doctor... and you should NOT take your stuff anymore. you probably felt a sore throat, extreme dryness in your nose, or even inside your head. thanks to allegra (fexofenadine) it dries your ass up. badly. which, i guess is ok.... if you like feeling like shit.

now, you might ask me: what is causing my allergies? well, could be a number of things. most likely, your colon is full of a bunch of waste from the environment, and your liver and kidneys can't do all the work anymore, dumping it thru other means (trying to anyway) but the colon just hangs on to it. causing your sensitivity to common allergens that are normally filtered out through your body naturally, causing you NO harm.

i have NEVER in my life had allergy problems, many people around me do. there is a really WONDERFUL compound from Nature's Sunshine (herbs) called HistaBlock. if Dave doesn't take it... he'll feel like shit....

it's really windy out here, which means pollens and all that crap in the air we breathe just gets blown around, and even more present. however, i'm lucky enough never to have had to deal with it... my body is clean. :) i like to keep it that way... i like being healthy, and not having to count on taking prescriptions daily to 'maintain' health, when all it's doing is 'fooling' my body into thinking it's ok.

if you need any more help, feel free to talk to me in PM or on AIM.

i may not be a doctor, but when it comes to natural health, i'm pretty good. i learned from a naturopathic doctor... and now, i know what i'm going to do. heal people. :)

thank you, im going to try and wait and see if the swelling might decrease, hopefully this shit will wear off soon, its just annoying, like the feeling when you get punched in the throat.

no... don't wait. all you're doing is 'seeing if it will pass' which is worse on your body. you are HAVING AN ALLERGIC REACTION! if you continue to take it, you run the risk of actually suffocating.

do you have any cayenne pepper??

if you do, after you feel that way, take a few grains and put it on the back of your tongue. this will open up your airways... should be very quickly. but don't use a lot.

also, peppermint or a very strong minty oil, or even something with eucalyptus or the like in it can help to open up your airway if you inhale it (nicely) lol

i just don't want to hear about some guy who had a severe allergic reaction to allegra, and dying. :D

im not taking anymore allegra or the nasal shit til i get stuff cleared up with the doc, which will have to be on monday since they are already closed, and no we dont have any cayenne pepper :(

got anything with a minty oil?

peppermint, eucalyptus, and wintergreen are the strongest...
tea tree, camphor cream can be good too (vicks and the like) just make sure not to rub the cream or oil under your nose... just smell it. lol

i've had many a 'raver' nightmare using these things... there's an oil called Tei-Fu that would really be handy. hahahaha *memories*

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Apr 23 2004, 06:28 PM
I have allergies every day of the year. Maybe once a month is both of my nostrals (sp?) clear. One is always plugged.

Even though I am not sick right now, one is plugged. Right now, its the left one. It changes every hour or so.

Like you read my mind......... :lol:

"In the land of skunks, the man with half a nose is king."
-Chris Farley, Men at Work

Seriously. My nose does not clear up completely except for a day or so a year. And then, like shock to my head, my sinuses burn from the dryness. :angry:

Zyrtec D and Afrin 12 hour nasal spray work mint for me, but I'm so used to the symptoms that I only use that stuff before dates and such.

Originally posted by xyswany@Apr 23 2004, 07:31 PM
you guys think taking some tylenol might reduce the swelling?

No to the Tylenol. You need to take an antihistamine to reduce the swelling... like Benedryl. Also drinks tons of water to help flush the medication out of your system. Don't take that allergy medication again until you talk to your doctor!

Allergies = teh uber gheyness.

Whenever I wake up in the morning, the nostril that was on bottom when I was sleeping is clogged worse than the toilet after my dad uses it. And if I sleep with my head straight up, both nostrils clog, and I have to breath thru my mouth all day. This is also the reason why I get terrible sinus migranes all the time. Allergies suck, Period.

Personally though, I dont take any medicine.(I'm scared I'll be allergic LOL) The only thing that goes up my nose except the ocassional finger is the saline mist spray, because my nostrils get so dry, I haven't ever gone a day without somewhat of a bloody nose.

Oh ya, see a doctor.

im alive stoned and drunk doing just fine ;)

Glad you didn't die. :thumbsup:

Also glad you're not doing any of that other stuff that could be potentially dangerous. J/k :beer: Drink up man.

Back