1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any electricions, or wiring experts

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Jeef, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

I bought new lights for my condo which is about 30 years old. There was recessed lighting and I am going to take it out and replace it with a new fixture. The old recpetical was metal, had 2 wires going into it (both brown not black or white), and metal conduit that was connected to the metal receptical. The new fixture has the standard black, white, and ground for the connections. I was planning on finding out which brown wire in the place has continuity from the hot wire on the switch, attaching the ground to the metal conduit, and then which ever brown wire is left use that as the neutral (white wire) connection. Would this be the right way to wire this? Is it ok to ground it to the metal conduit since my wiring does not have a ground wire? Should I have my wiring looked at? Any help would be appreciated on how I should wire this. I asked a few people and nobody is sure on what I should do.

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Personally I'd have a pro inspect it first. we rewired or building here in Iraq, and it was chaos. But they use 220 here, so both are hot, and you don't have to orry about grounds.

3. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

the wire you're talking about is called BX
    the the metal conduit is the ground.
    as far as which wire is hot or neutral you're going to have to do it
    with an continiuty meter

there's really no polarity and really it doesn't matter if the white wire is connected to hot or the black, it's just a code that's followed so that when you turn the switch off you're switching the hot wire not the neutral. it's a saftey issue thing

4. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

I moved some insulation and found out the old recessed light had its own junction box. I just rewired the junction box and ran a new wire that replaced the metal conduit and brown wires. The lights work fine. I see in the box that it has the red wire, now I just have to find out where the second switch is for this light.
    Atleast I only have one more light fixture to replace, then comes the fun of putting in 3 ceiling fans.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted