any golfers here??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
i recently picked up on golf, well a little over a year ago.. haha.. i really sucked at first, but now i'm getting better.. i started off with some crappy clubs from Big 5 that were on a fathers day special.. well, i've broken the club head off of 2 of them so far and the drivers are absolute trash because of the loose flex they have.. so i've been looking into a new, but used driver.. anyone here know of some good drivers that a inexpensive.. models help too.. i'm still considered a beginner..

planning on upgrading my irons once i get a little better

Last edited:
What are you shootin? I think I shot a 110 or so last time I played 18 holes on a par 4 course.

i golf with the boss.
and i would recommend going to a golf store and buying a used club there. they should let you swing it around and even hit some balls.

some times "good drivers" go for $250+ ea,

i would recommend that you invest in a set of this brand for around the same price of a single taylor driver. they are recomemded by the mods in the golf forum i visit. [link at office]
Ram Golf, Package Sets

they can be had in ebay and at golfsmith.com for cheap

as far as a driver youll want the 10.5deg, nike makes good affordable drivers. and they are cheaper used.
80-150 range

if you have a slice you can get an offset club set and get the ones with a bigger "sweet spot"

i currently play with irons only and a 9wood. i borrow my friends nike 10.5 driver.

the best tip is to go to a pro for an initial lesson so you don't practice wrong from the beginning.

I've played on and off (more off than on) over the past years... its weird though, i swing left handed but i learned on righty clubs..... and im right handed :p My friend works at a golf course and hopefully he can teach me some things.

I participate in a sport similar to Golf

only it involves more screaming and some kind of golf bag throwing for distance...

mid 90s if i do great.. hahah.. but usually about where you're at..

Oh that's not too bad at all. On the other hand, my dads bad day of golfing usually nets him in the mid 80s. :mellow:

same with my pops.. one of my good friends got me into golf.. now i want to go all the time.. its just a damn expensive hobby

this is where i play sometimes.. too expensive to play here all the time.. $55 regular and $30 twilight.. other places in town are about $32-$36 to play with a resident card
Home

I golf sometimes, I use some old ass clubs, a Ben Hogan iron set (blade style) from the early 1970s and I shoot mid 90s on a good day and around 115 on a bad to average day.

i am not a pro by any means but here is what I did. I went to a golf store for a "fitting" where they let me hit a bunch of drivers and balls. After going througha few club/ball combos they told me both the best driver ball combo for my swing. I then went online and found the driver for the best price possible and picked up some balls as well. As for my irons I got a decent set from a discount sporting good store and plan to upgrade when I stop playing baseball/have more time. A baseball swing is bad for golf and vice versa. here is my current setup

Driver = TaylorMade R7 with weights set for a draw
Balls = Maxfli complete straight
Irons = "meadow wood"

Even if they charge you a small fee for a fitting it is worth it to figure out what setup works best for you.

I usually have a low 40's on 9 and a mid 90's on 18.

Damnit... I'm trying to remember the name of the site... There is a KILLER site that sells knockoff clubs... gonna have to look it up...

Got it... pinemeadowgolf.com

i used to golf everyday, i was on the school team
free golf at a big time country club > paying to play
my old man is a member of a local county club, scratch golfer
plays just about everyday

my advise for irons, go to yard sales and things, look for a set of the old Ping eye 2 irons
some pros still use them, if you can find em cheap definately buy em
good clubs
i use the original ping eye irons
10.5 driver might be ok, but your driver angle really depends on the person
i was swinging 8's and 9's back in the day
and shafts are easy to change, no reason to junk a club because the shaft has too much flex, get a stiffer shaft, or don't try to kill the ball when you swing and you'll have more accuracy, and more control

I golf often.

Hell tomorrow I'm going golfing.

Personally, since you'r enw I'd go for a very forgiving driver. Such as a Taylormade R series, preferably the newer R7, but the used ones can be had for nothing.

The driver though is only a limited part of your game. A putter and wedges have more stake in your score than a driver does. I personally swing a ping Tsi Driver, cleveland woods, nickent gh plus irons, and cleveland wedges, all coupled around a dog shit tear drop putter I bought when I was 13.

im thinking about getting into golfing...i have some friends who golf...ive played a 18 hole course once or twice...but i played the whole way with my driver, 3 wood, pw, and putter...lol...i know nothing about what club to use where...hahaha...but im gonna try to get out there and learn the right way when i get the time...

I'm a 4 handicap and I've been playing with the same clubs (except my driver) for the past 10 years. Clubs help, but you need to find your swing first. I learned how to play golf on a set of blades... :eek:

Back