1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Hikers?

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by newb, Jul 22, 2012.

1. newb

newb phresh VIP

Well I grew up spendin a lot of time in the mountains and what not. My girlfriend and I have done a little hiking togather. Just day trip stuff. Ive started getting her geared up for her first over nite trip. She's pretty excited about it. The first trip planned is a short one, just 6 miles round trip. Its the Crystal Lake trail in the Mt Rainier park. The pack load out won't be too much more then she already carries, and the short distance will help too.

So who else is into hiking? What trips have you planned out for the season?

2. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I don't really hike; but some friends and I are planning on going hiking in the fall(mainly because it's more scenic) around Hanging Rock and some other trails in the mountains.

This isn't my picture but just how Hanging Rock looks in autumn:
    [​IMG]

3. newb

newb phresh VIP

That looks awesome. Id love to see the mountains on the east coast in fall some time. I'm sure the pictures I've seen don't do it justice.

I can't get any Google pics of the lake I'll be hiking to, to work.

4. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

I'll be in the Salt Lake City area in August. I am planning on doing some hiking - but have not looked into it much. A few summers ago I went to Rocky Mountain National Park. I did quite a bit there. My favorite was Twin Sisters Peak.

5. D16Civic

D16Civic Matt

Not a hiker myself, but a good friend of mine and his wife hiked the Appalachian Trail end to end about 10 years ago. Took them about 7 months.

6. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

I do a bunch of small day hikes. Mt. Si, Pilchuck, the like. Nothing more than those right now as time is scarce.

7. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Delicate Arch, Arches National Park Moab, Utah.

1.5 miles one way, 150? foot gain in altitude. This particular day was very difficult due to wind and rain at the base of the trail kicking up dust. I felt like I was getting sand blasted. Also note the air cast...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colorado State Monument, Just south of Grand Junction, CO.

This was a nice day, not a lot of hiking. Mostly driving, with a little climbing on rocks and such shenanigans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not mine, just to give a layout of the terrain.

[​IMG]

Book Cliffs, North of Grand Junction, Colorado.

Desert hiking. I needed a bigger Camelbak. It was really hot. 5 miles one way. This was a little rough due to the distance and the heat. Went to an abandoned coal mine, hence the coal dust hill in the first pic. We went inside. GF was fucking terrified. A few kids died in there a few years ago, they got too deep and suffocated. The vents were all collapsed when the mine was abandoned. So they cemented it up about 30 feet back.

And finally:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The abandoned mining town of Ironton, South of Ouray, Colorado.

Not a difficult hike, just a little too difficult to put the civic through. Really creepy. Seemed like someone started a restoration of it a few years ago, but it fell apart. A couple houses had new foundations under them, but no one had been there for years. Girlfriend coaxed me into going upstairs in them. I was afraid of the floor giving out.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. newb

newb phresh VIP

I really like the Naches Loop trail.

I didn't do any hiking last year because I was always working. I'm getting a late start this year, but I'll get a few trips in.

9. FLounder

FLounder power hungry VIP

I like hiking, but havent done anything serious in years.... I did a few sections of the lower appalachian trail in my early 20s. Also, more recently Ive done some hiking in the everglades, couple different WMAs around central FL, and just some local dune and scrub pine lands here in palm beach county.

Im jealous of you guys out west though! the scenery out there is awesome, so different than everything im used to.

10. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

In my opinion its so much better out west. If you want to do some more extreme backpacking, just wait till early autumn and go up on a mountain. Want warm hiking with historical sights and some challenging terrain? Go to the desert. Want less extreme woodland hiking, don't go so high on the mountain.

11. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

I've done a few small hikes this year... nothing more than a few hours and a bottle of water as the only carry item needed though.

12. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Hmm I haven't done thta loop. I'll see about doing it. I'd love to get my gf into hiking and outdoors stuff.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted