1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any info on this 'Toda' setup?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by El Nagro, Apr 22, 2004.

1. El Nagro

El Nagro Junior Member

"Our special piston kit is designed to be used with Type-R crankshafts and rods in a B20B block along with a B16A or Type-R cylinder head. The advantage is having a reliable 2.0 liter engine with an optimal rod-stroke ratio allowing for high rpm operation. Requires VTEC converstion kit commonly used on LS-VTEC engines."

I emailed toda about this and this just told me it is a more reliable alternative to LS/Vtec or CR/Vtec engines. Doese anyone know if this would be reliable enough for a daily driver, everyday bein' drivin, and weekend racing, or would this have all sorts of stupid little problems? Does anyone know?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Normal B20/VTEC builds without expensive Toda internals or rod/stroke ratio modification are perfectly reliable as daily drivers too- you just have to not be a retard when you put them together.

3. El Nagro

El Nagro Junior Member

What modifications are needed to make the b20/vtec reliable. I need to save my money so if i can do it just as good for cheeper then i will.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Modifications? None. Just put it together correctly, and don't take any shortcuts. The reason why you hear all these horror stories about people blowing up LS/VTECs and B20/VTECs is because they just slap the engine together without taking the time to do it right- then they beat on them until they blow up.

5. El Nagro

El Nagro Junior Member

Well what is needed to do it right. I dont want to blow up my motor the first time out because its not done right. If there are any tech articles on building a proper b20/vtec that would help alot.

THX
    Joe

6. B16

B16 Super Moderator VIP

the toda slugs are nice, i have them in my motor :)

but cal is right, you can use other parts to build a just as reliable b20/vtec

7. smooth_criminal

smooth_criminal Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted