any lawn gurus in here?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
Ok... so I have a huge patch of dark green grass clumps across my whole front lawn... is this crabgrass? And what would be the best/easiest way to get rid of it? Any and all help appreciated

2011-03-29_11-12-13_864.jpg

2011-03-29_11-14-07_642.jpg

easy and crabgrass removal generally don't fit in the same sentence. lol

It looks a bit different than the crab grass we get around here, but that may be a regional thing.

After doing a few minutes of reading it seems like naturally crowding it out is the best bet. Do you guys have water usage restrictions down your way?

The house I grew up in had a ton of that shit in the yard. I remember my mom trying everything to get rid of it, with pretty much no luck. We even resorted to tilling the whole backyard at one point and killing all the grass then replanting seed. Still didn't keep that stuff from coming back. Honestly, if it were my house, I'd probably just tear up the lawn and put in something more environmentally friendly, like landscaping it with some local species of plants that can survive with the amount of rainfall that is normal in your area. The reduced water use helps you ($) and would help in a tiny way to reduce water demand. Or, you could got the absolute opposite way and start spraying all sorts of toxic shit on it so you can have the "perfect" green lawn :shrug2:. The whole idea of a lawn is kinda ridiculous when you think about it.

Just realized you are in bako. There's tons of native plants here in CA that you could use to create some shit that will blow your neighbor's pieces of grass out of the water. If you really still want grass, there's eve quite a few native grasses that stay pretty short and are a lot lower water use.

Last edited:
A lot of times it's easier just to start from scratch vs. trying to get rid of invasive grasses/weeds, especially in a smaller area like that.

You could re-sod that in a day with a couple friends and enough cold beer. Seed is a PITA. Then again, if your dogs have the run of the front yard having a nice looking lawn is a losing proposition anyways.

The crabgrass looks pretty lush when there's so much of it... Make the whole lawn crabgrass! :ph34r::D

Alright what your gonna wanna do is rent a thatcher and run the across your turf 2 or 3 times and rake up the mess or suck it up with your mower, then depending on how well your current soil drains your gonna wanna get a load os either a good 60/40 mix or just straight sand, assuming the trees are the property line you could probably get away with one yard. Throw this down even and rake it smooth. Get more than enough seed, I don't know what grows best in your area I use a perenial/rye blend. Put down the seed heavy. Now get a good starter fertilizer should say 16-16-16 on the bag. Keep this good and moist until your seeed has germinated and is about 4" tall before you mow the first time. Fertilize minimum twice a year spring and fall. The fall feeding is very important and will do a lot to prevent this from happening again.

Back