Any opinions/experience with these cams?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97CTR

I'm working on my build this winter, the motor is out and ready for cams and valvetrain. But not many people have much done to their cars in my area, and don't know anyone running cams. So which cams would you get money aside? Its between Toda B's and portflow, Skunk2 stage 2's and valvetrain, or JUN stage III's. Any opinions would be cool.

Toda B's are awesome cams. I've ridden in a 99-00 Si with Toda B's and portflow and they offer a real hard kick in the ass.

The Skunk2 stage 2's are pretty good, but there really is not smooth VTEC crossover point within the entire RPM range. Either they bog or kick in hard. it's really difficult to find their sweet spot for the lobe changeover, if at all.

I have never had first hand experience with JUN cams, but I have heard that JUN 3's are fucking amazing cams.

Any one these three are gonna put a smile on your face. Have fun! :)

nobody i know had the balls or the money to get the JUN stage 3's. i know my friend with a gsr got the toda cams, they fuckin roxors my boxors!! <_<

im running the jun III cams with the type r outers/portflow inners right now and they fuckin rock. the car feels like its still pulling really hard at 9600 rpm but i shift at 96 cause its high enough to stay in vtec. they are fuckin badass and worth every penny you spend. ive also been in a 00 si with toda b's, i still like my cams better. Its gonna be a tough decision, so take your time. you might want to add some fuel, especially if youre raising compression in this build as well. good luck!

yeah man, I got a new walbro fuel pump, and rc injectors, and hondata coming. Do the JUN III's have the same low cam profile as the skunk2 stage 2's or is it more aggressive?

i was always told the skunk2 stg2 cam is a copy of the JunIII (maybe just the vtec lobe?). personally i would go with the toda spec b's. great mid-high range cam, with a slightly more aggressive lower cam profile than stock. what will this car be used for? skunk2 and junIII are great drag cams, toda b is a good road race cam.

EDIT:
also, if you go with toda's, use their springs, they are specially designed for their cams.

werd to the toda springs, w/ toda cams. just throw all your money in to the wind and get the complete toda valvetrain

just a quick question about the cams being mentioned, how are they for longevity? will the proper valvetrain last a long time, or will stuff need to be replaced often?

I am sure they will last, dont' overTQ them though, seen a couple SS2's snap from that in my buddies SCCA civic.

I've been leaning towards the toda's and I think thats what I will get, whole valvetrain, power enterprises timing belt, etc. etc. Going in a straight line is fun for about two seconds, gimme the twisties.

throw toda C's into the mix, or are they not streetable?

Originally posted by lostsol@Jan 27 2004, 06:25 AM
throw toda C's into the mix, or are they not streetable?

They are streetable but their powerband is very "peaky." The Toda B is a MUCH better street cam, offering great midrange and a sick top end similar to the Skunk stage 2's. They are my favorite cams.

Back