Any plans for the up and coming gas pandemic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

invisibledemon

Bored
VIP
So, the oil execs have miraculously "predicted" that gas is going to go above $4 again this summer.
Any of you guys have any plans on how you're going to deal?
more efficient car/bike
car pooling
new job with shorter commute?

i'm thinking of saving up for a 2nd car that gets better gas mileage. not sure what its going to be yet. my forester sees consistent 28+/-2 mpg. but, i want more.
have been thinking of an old bike, maybe a vw diesel. tossing the idea of another EF but i just really dont want to do another honda. its far too difficult to find one thats unmolested here.

I'm just going to deal with it until the people running up the cost, sell off, then the price will once again come tumbling down.

All this talk about $5 gas = more and more people seeing oil as a good way to make money. $5 gas = $130-140 oil. Who doesnt want to buy in at 90 and sell off at 130-140?

$$$$$$

Once it pops, everyone will rush to get out to keep their gains.

I just got a new (to me) road bike switched over to single speed. I gotta buy a new wheelsed and cranks to have it totally done, but the stuff on there now works well enough to ride it. Went on a short ride yesterday to see how it rides. I live 4 miles from work, and when I start school I can get a bus/trolley pass for $150 for the semester and I live close to the bus stop which runs right to a trolley station that will take me right into the university campus. Who knows, maybe I can save up enough to pick up an older dual sport or something to get around on as well.

i already take the bus. i drive about 50 miles a week. i only have a car for bitches and groceries.

damn thanks for the news tip. i knew it seemed odd when i filled up saturday and saw $3.36/gal for cali 87 piss gasoline.

anyway, i wanted to read more and saw this little excerpt from yahoo! news:

Gasoline expert Fred Rozell predicts that 15 states -- including Alaska, Hawaii, Connecticut and Rhode Island -- will see gasoline prices top $4 a gallon by Memorial Day. "A dollar more per gallon isn't that much -- probably about $750 more per year for each motorist, but there's a psychological aspect to gas prices," he said. "People are going to be up in arms about this."

Oil's surge in 2010 paves the way for $4 gasoline - Yahoo! Finance

WTF?? a dollar more per gallon isnt much?? only $750/year additional increase isnt much?

how the hell this guy is called an expert beats the shit out of me. to make up for that, most people will need at least 5-10% increase in wages if working at federal minimum wage or under $10/hr.

an extra $60-80/mos is a lot of money. that can at least pay for my tv/sat. bill, my recent upgraded cell phone bill; hell that can help me pay my min. for my student loans. f**king asshat.

hopefully someday the oil bastards will get it stuck to them, until then ill just carpool more and go places less often if it does reach near $4+/gal.

Its going to screw the economy even more. That is 80 more a month that is going overseas ( well I know not all of it is but a good portion) to asshats we hate. Instead of going back into the economy or savings.

Sporty for distance, I'll pick up a Schwinn for around town b.s. drive the car in SERIOUS rain, and with the non-motorcycle riding ladies.

2 out of 3 of my cars I own run on E85 which does not get affected that bad. :)

I will keep doing what I do. Ride the bus, and bike on dry days.

I'll be able to get my fuel burning rocks off by driving our buses. The hybrids we're getting are the best economy ones we have, at 7mpg. I'll be leaving a massive carbon footprint. All while riding a bicycle and saving mother earth, or that which I give a fuck about, my wallet.

I'll be riding my bicycle to work. 5 miles door to door. I really need to replace the DD, and have been debating getting a truck. The only thing that scares me is fuel costs. I drive 15k miles/year, and averaging 18mpg with a newer GM 2rd full size is about $1000/year more in gas compared to my Maxima...

im just going to bitch and complain about it a little, but other than that what can you do? my xterra mows through gas at 15-16mpg in city driving, and the integra eats up 93 octane real quick because i cant seem to keep it out of boost lol. i have to have a 4wd truck with some balls, because i have a boat to tow. and im sure as hell not selling the integra.

70mpg- ninja 250
45mpg- bmw r1200c
35mpg- honda fit

i'll be fine.

T0F2N_9391M.jpg
+
dasani.jpg

Invisibledemon
buying a second car is not the answer lol, the maintainence costs and insurance will eat the savings you will save with the better gas mileage, plus the cost of the car itsself

I have applied to a job that is 9 miles from me, compared to the 27 i drive now 1 way. If i drive it right i can easily get 27-30mpg in my Audi. That would be some considerable savings overall in car costs over time.

But that "saved"money will just being go to ammo supply and a new shotgun to prepare the worst. People can only take so much before they flip out.

Back