Any plans for the up and coming gas pandemic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

non-truck tires will have the biggest effect most likely.

Yeah, the tires I've got on now will probably yield the best mileage- the ones from the factory with the super light weight and "highway" compound tread. I want to go to wider tires later, so that won't help.

I'm already up to 23mpg on the highway with careful application of the go pedal but still cruising 80mph most of the time. What I really need to get bump to 25mpg is to level the truck out and add a bed cover. If that's not enough, some belly pan work will probably get me there. Considering that the S2000 gets 27-29mpg at best on the highway at the same speeds, 25mpg out of the truck with a hell of a lot more carrying capacity isn't horrible at all.

any speculation on gas dropping a little since japan is the 3rd largest demand for it?
ive heard barrels are dropping to under $100 a pop/which would lead to drop in gas prices?

any speculation on gas dropping a little since japan is the 3rd largest demand for it?
ive heard barrels are dropping to under $100 a pop/which would lead to drop in gas prices?

Price increases happen in about 12 seconds but will take a month or two to drop 4 cents.

Rolls up are nice, thats what I have had. They can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but worth it overall. If I am out somewhere and buy something unplanned that won't fit under the cover I can just roll it up.
Another great thing about the toneu cover is that people don't sue your bed as a trash can. I know it doesn't happen often but does it piss me off when I see people do it.
I am impressed with your Highway mileage, what do you get around town?

Does anyone else find some brands of gas get better gas mileage? In my Hondas I didn't notice it but in my latest Silverado Mobil is the only gas I can use. I get better gas mileage and more power. I used Shell 2 fill ups ago and got about 40 less miles to the half tank. I had some much less power that I actually thought I did some engine damage from spinning the tires so much in the snow.

Last edited:
calesta, isnt it you that has the frontier with the 4.0 v6? im wondering why my xterra's mileage is so much worse and it has the same engine. i have some pretty aggressive all terrain tires and its 4wd so that hurts some... but man the best mileage i can squeeze out of it when babying it on the hwy is about 18 or 18.5 mpg. i have a volant cold air box intake too.

Last edited:
Rolls up are nice, thats what I have had. They can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but worth it overall. If I am out somewhere and buy something unplanned that won't fit under the cover I can just roll it up.
Another great thing about the toneu cover is that people don't sue your bed as a trash can. I know it doesn't happen often but does it piss me off when I see people do it.
I am impressed with your Highway mileage, what do you get around town?

Does anyone else find some brands of gas get better gas mileage? In my Hondas I didn't notice it but in my latest Silverado Mobil is the only gas I can use. I get better gas mileage and more power. I used Shell 2 fill ups ago and got about 40 less miles to the half tank. I had some much less power that I actually thought I did some engine damage from spinning the tires so much in the snow.

Jeff, gas can make a difference if you have to shove your foot deeper into it to make the power to stay at speed... haven't really noticed much difference between the major brands though.

City is usually around 18 if I take it easy.

nah, you should get a fastback camper! lol

Might do that when it's time to start camping with the kids- but I doubt it.

calesta, isnt it you that has the frontier with the 4.0 v6? im wondering why my xterra's mileage is so much worse and it has the same engine. i have some pretty aggressive all terrain tires and its 4wd so that hurts some... but man the best mileage i can squeeze out of it when babying it on the hwy is about 18 or 18.5 mpg. i have a volant cold air box intake too.

Yup. 6 speed manual makes a HUGE difference. Mine's 4wd too.

You're driving a 4k lb brick down the road with a large v6. That's incredible that your'e even able to get 18mpg.

Just made 22.0mpg even on the way back from Austin in the Frontier- cruise set to 70mph the whole way, no drafting, bad winds.

19.7mpg on the way down, hauling ass and doing some off-roading to get around wrecks too.

Thats not too bad. Its the stop and go that can kill mpg. I got 22-23 out of my last Silverado after a week in Maine because I hardly had to stop and go. I drive one of the most congested roads in CT and the stop and go is brutal sometimes. Especially getting our larger vehicles started.

Averaging 28MPG in the Jetta, 2.5L I5. 100 miles/day, all highway at 80 or so. Nothing like the 55-60 I could squeeze out of the rental Prius, but not too bad.

Thats not too bad. Its the stop and go that can kill mpg. I got 22-23 out of my last Silverado after a week in Maine because I hardly had to stop and go. I drive one of the most congested roads in CT and the stop and go is brutal sometimes. Especially getting our larger vehicles started.

Yeah- the 24mpg is driving the same speed, but in really congested traffic so I can get a draft. If I can pull off 25mpg highway unassisted, I'll be pretty damn happy. Hell, 22 is good as is- and I know it'll only get better with a few aero mods. Not that I'll save enough gas to justify the cash spend on the drop and bed cover, but I'll be able to say I got there.

stop and go traffic puts me down to 15-16 mpg which i feel is about right. i still think that i should get better than 18 mpg on the highway, Calesta has made me jealous! maybe its time for a tune up.

on average i get about 29mpg
city i get about 27, highway i get 31-32

the forester doesnt do nearly as bad as i expected when i bought it.

Back