Any Racing Harness Gurus out there?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

I'm looking at some Sparco Harnesses and I'm having a little trouble with the selection.

I know I want a 4-Point.

There are 2 different types of 4-points. One looks like it has bolts at the end of the straps and the other one does not.

What is the difference?

Which one should I choose if I am getting a Sparco Harness Bar and want to utilize factory mounting points for the "Lap" straps of the harness?

Why do you want a 4 point? It is no better than stock IMO, could be more dangerous in certain situations. The 5th point or "sub" belt as it is referred to, helps keep the lap belt down where it should be at the top of your hips instead of riding up onto your stomach and causing internal injuries. Also, without rollover protection, having a harness is a great way to kill or severly injure yourself. In a rollover situation you would normally be able to lean over to avoid the now incoming roof. With a harness you are locked in the vertical position, and with no roll bar the caving in roof will put some nice compression forces into your spine, not very condusive to anything productive.

As for your questions, some harnesses have eyelets at the ends to bolt into the car. Others use hardware to wrap the webbing around a roll bar or a "harness bar". Some offer clips on the ends, so you can replace the factory seatbelt hardware with eye bolts and clip your lap belts in and out. FWIW, I would do a 3 inch camlock, as 2 inch is too narrow and if your gonn aget a harness go big and get yhe camlock as the latch type buckes are a huge pain in the ass.

nfn is right no cage plus harness==death. Sparco gives the clips for the belt bar with the belts as far as i rememberas for the belts get the set with the eylets in them i hate the clip in style (don't trust them they are not track legal in some classes)

BMW has a dealer option for harness', don't think they would do that if liability was that high. And I have seen a DelSol flip onto a guard rail, the person had harness and they were fine. One in a million situations can happen with anything OEM, harness' or none at all. Cars do have some structural rigidity around the roof area. And if the entire roof collapsed harness or OEM, you're squished.

Now if you plan on enter sanctioned events, you need to look into the rules for that event.

Back