any rub their tires when lowered?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

anyone rub their tires when lowered?

hey all-
so I'm still having my tires rub after lowering my car on Eibach Sportline Springs (1.7" drop) and some OK aftermarket struts (seem fine).

the thing is I did a front & rear camber kit when I dropped the car and that is prolly where my troubles began. I dropped the car and set the wheels straight, adding the positive camber back to correct for the 1.7" drop.

at first the back tires rubbed on the outer fenders. so I added enough negative camber to allow the tires to clear the fenders.

now only the front rub sometimes.
it seems to mostly happen when the wheels are turned in a corner. It is definitely a tight fit in the wheel well. it hits a bump and the tire rubs on the car.

I had to stop and remove my splash guards the other night in hopes of giving it enough clearance. no good. the tires appear to be rubbing where the inner wheel well sheets are tacked together.

how do I fix this? take off the camber kit?
btw I'm running 195/60/14 and 195/60/15" wheels and even the 14's rub so it's not that.

photo to come.

Last edited:
hey for reals? I was looking at that seem and thinking that... do people actually do that?

people talk about "rolling" the fenders- what does that actually entail? I tapped the rear fenders with a metal hammer- they are actually pretty strong.

ok so I looked at my 00 Civic Si rims that were rubbing. the tires were actually 195/65/15.

I think my 195/50/15 will clear a lot better in the wheel well.

but am still thinking about grinding down that seem a little. It looks like 2 - 3mm can be done without affecting the weld.

who else has ground down their sheet metal on lowered jobs?

Be incredibly careful with those rear fenders, one mistake and you'll crease it. Take a wooden baseball bat, put it up inside the fender, and roll it against the lip, applying even pressure. take your time, too much pressure = creased fender.

Rolling the Rear Fender Lips is an example. Google "Fender Roll Lip" and it'll pop up 978698756 websights about it. As far as that seam, it would be best to have it welded, just incase. And don't forget to smooth it and re-seal it with rubber coating. Bare metal on a seem is begging for rust.

yeah I met a guy off of criag'slist and we traded wheels in a Fry's parking lot. the trade went good but I didn't realize the tires were 65 until I installed them and they rubbed. had to park on the freeway and have my girlfriend bring some 14's...

so.. now I realize why not so many people run 17's when lowered- they just don't fit unless you do custom shit...

am I correct here?

I've never lowered a 2000si.

As far as hondas, I've done two CRXs and an Integra. One CRX had rubbing issues with 17's, so I put 16's on it, and life was good. You really should get the proper sized tires though, not only are those making your ride height higher, they're squishier, corner worse, don't fit, change your "gearing" to make your car more sluggish, and make the speedo read slower than you are really going.

hey thanks for the input phyregod. that write up on fender rolling should give me something to think about.

so the fenders are pretty stiff.

I'm guessing it takes a fair amount of force to accomplish the fender roll technique...

I might try it though ;)

thanks all!

well yeah 17's would.

but actually the wheels are 15" 00 Civic Si rims on new Kumho AST 195/50/15.

the car they are going on is a 98 Integra LS where the stock wheels were 195/60/14 so it should be good.

I hear yeah though about running those 17's - they are actually for sale... look nice but are F*@kin tanks!

ok guys I thought of something.

when I changed out the old shocks and put on the eibach sportline springs my friend said I didn't need that little foam bumper. you know the one people usually cut in half when they lower the car.

so maybe since it isn't there right now, the tire has too much travel and goes rubbing in to the wheel well. isn't that foam bumper possibly there for a reason other than just providing a little dampening?

any thoughts?

ok guys I thought of something.

when I changed out the old shocks and put on the eibach sportline springs my friend said I didn't need that little foam bumper. you know the one people usually cut in half when they lower the car.

so maybe since it isn't there right now, the tire has too much travel and goes rubbing in to the wheel well. isn't that foam bumper possibly there for a reason other than just providing a little dampening?

any thoughts?

Yeah, its there to absorb really hard bumps.. If you hit something hard enought that the shock can't handle it, its going to ram up metal on metal and is very likely to break something. You should put it back.

yeah it is the second time my dumb ass has listened to a friend who has said "oh you don't need that".

my solution: I'm gonna buy some used ITR shocks which are stiffer than stock.

Then remove this bs setup, including the camber kit and ebay that sh!t.

The drop is too low anyways..

anybody have some experience with the stock itr shocks?

I'm think about cutting the stock ITR springs about 1". What do you think?

It prolly wouldn't change the feel that much and would still give me a little bit of the drop I am looking for..

I've heard cut stock springs can be harsh, but am unsure.

dont cut springs.. find a spring with a mild drop if anything

Eibach Prokit is not a harsh drop

would you cut the seat chain on your swingset? :)

ok I will try just the stock set up as is then.

who knows? there is prolly enough room to put my 17's back on if I want to..

the nice thing is I won't need the camber kits anymore... I feel that the stock setup is more reliable and better built.

Back