any thoughts on b20/vtec with jrsc?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FLounder

power hungry
VIP
i was thinking this might be interesting for a fun street car. how do you think a jrsc supercharger would do with a b20z/b16a head?

i have stock internals in the block so its pretty low compression already. i just wonder how that stock bottom end would hold up under a the relatively low boost of a jrsc. it seems that the torque and midrange power of this set up would be really nice :D any thoughts?

sounds like fun,just keep it at a lower psi,,
honestly i dont like superchargers,id go turbo,but thats my opinion

i personal think 4 cyl are too small for super chargers, Go turbo, super chargers take power to make power, turbos use the motors waste to run them.

i'm sure he knows how the two of them work. after driving a small turbo equipped b20 and a jrsc b20 (both non-vtec) i'd say the turbo gave up some top end to the sc, but what it will all come down to is sizing the turbo correctly. if you chose carefully there's no reason you cant have instant spool-up like the SC would provide, and even peak power higher than that of the SC. throttle response may suffer slightly, but you'll probably end up with a faster vehicle.

yeah i was thinking that the instant boost of the supercharger would be fun on the street, and its a little cheaper and easier to install. the main question is what would the durability of the engine be with stock internals in the bottom end? i mean i have ARP studs and would obviously have the whole set-up dyno tuned after it was complete so i would think with the low boost of a stock jrsc set-up i should be ok.....

i know there are people out there boosting b20s.... but do they last? i just want a fun fast street car that i can drive anywhere and be reliable. something i could take on a 2 hour drive down to the keys or up to orlando.

bro i have a jrsc b18c in a eg and all i did was change out the pistons, head gasket, and seals all around. i have dc hedders and hks ram intake. all i got to say is change injectors fuel pump and at least two hours of good tuning cuz that will make or brake ur car and u can stay stock internals. as for being reliable keep boost under 10psi and all should be great.

Look at my build in my signature. I have a jrsc gsr build myself and can answer a lot of questions. You won't quite make turbo power with the jrsc, however, when people say that the jrsc sucks, they are refering to the stock kit using the fuel management that comes with the base kit. It's a horrible system that uses stock injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

If you want to do it right, go for some larger injectors and get the ecu tuned on the dyno. Thats what I did. The result is a fast, reliable car with no lag and a smooth, usable power band. I would love to see how the kit would perform with the larger displacement of the b20.

With the arp hardware, and respecting the b20's redline, I think the bottom end would hold up just fine with the jrsc. I would even say step it up to the 8 psi pulley for some more kick. Reliability is great. The s/c is an eaton m62 unit which is used on the cobalt ss. I've driven my car across the state of ohio countless times with no issues.

To get an idea of how fast it would be, I ran a best of 13.4 @ 107. That is with a stock header, a super super conservative tune, crappy all seasons, open diff, and an improperly set launch control. I know that the car is capable of mid 12's by addressing these issues. A b20-vtec would be a lot faster. I've seen one with slicks in the 11's. Thats one hell of a street car if you ask me.

cool thanks for the information.... if i can find a used a jrsc i will have to seriously consider it. it sounds like the route i want to go

Back