Any use for a D16y5 (HX VTEC-E)?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joemango

I pulled the stock D16Y5 out of my 97 civic HX two years ago when I swapped in my B18C1.

I understand it has a SOHC VTEC-E system (goes from 12 to 16 valves).

Do people usually throw these engines away or can some good be made of them? I have a friend with a 91 CRX DX who has a bit of mechanical background who thinks he can get some power out of it with a cam.

Any thoughts? Is he an idiot?

I don't know if it would help, but you could probably throw a Y8 head on there, even though it already has VTEC. But doesn't that engine have staged VTEC-E, dual solenoids? Might help a little bit. Mini-Me engine status for all motor, daily driver. Or you could go renegade and turbo the shit out of it, but then it wouldn't be that fun on gas for the daily commute but would make you happy in the pants when you got on the throttle :driver: Either way, it would be alot of fun to put in a CRX, all motor or turbo....but have fun going from OBD2 to OBD0 :(

Good for getting great gas millage. That is about it.

From what I have read, the engine from the VX sucks for basicly anything. I would assume that the HX is basicly the same way.

The VX engine is weak as hell, and will not survie long with even small amounts of boost, plus even with boost, will be somewhat slow.

A mini me swap would be one option, swaping over to a b-series would be another. Also, if you have the HX tranny, that also sucks for anything but good gas millage. If you do decide to keep the HX, I would consider an EX tranny swap.

Back