Any Xterra owners

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thsancho86

I'm in the process of looking for a new vehicle and I've had my eye on a couple first gen Xterras (edit 02-04) . I've read a couple of things about pretty bad mileage as well as being on the underpowered side on some models. I guess I'm wanting to get others opinions or if some one has owned one get them to weigh in. Thanks.

i am on my second xterra, the first one was a 2001, the one i have now is a 2007. i absolutely love my 2nd gen xterra, they are much improved in many ways over the first gen.

the first gen xterra was a good solid vehicle, when i sold mine it had about 120k miles and EVERYTHING still worked. it was a 2wd SE model with lsd and auto trans, i averaged about 15-16mpg city and about 18mpg on the highway... not great.

some of the good points... the ride is good for a truck, rear seat room is good for a small suv, offroad performance is excellent (i beat the shit out of mine and it always took it, rarely got stuck, even with the 2wd), it pulled boats up to 23ft and about 6000lbs, the interior still cleaned up like new, very maneuverable/easy to park, reliable transportation.

the problems i had with my 2001, all of which occured after 90k miles... cracked exhaust manifold, radiator cracked and leaked, rust above rear hatch that leaked water, ball joints wore out. as for the 190hp 3.3 liter engine that most of the first gen Xs have... i didnt hate it that bad. its very torquey, always pulled boats great for me, not a speed machine on the street but its adequate. compared to my new X, the trans shifted a little harder, but it was very reliable. i drove that truck on many highway trips and it was always good to me.

i still say, if there is any way you can swing it, pick up a 2005 :D

Coming from the civic the mileage would be a bit of a shock but that is to be expected I guess and compared to the old 86 s-10 i had way back that par for the course. I did see that nice torque number earlier which would be a nice change of pace from the y8. Thanks.

yeah i really wouldnt call the first gen underpowered. with the low-end torque and gearing, the acceleration is good to about 60. high speed highway merging is somewhat sluggish though.

our family car was a 01 frontier... basically the same setup as the x terra, except as a pickup version. cool little truck to get around in, ours was a stick shift 4x4 extended cab version... and the mileage was a BIT better with the manual trans, compared to my integra, gas mileage SUCKED... awesome work truck, reliable as hell, with minimal issues in the ten plus years we owned it... but i agree with mdpsEg.. the newer version is MUCH more refined... good luck dude, id much rather get a pilot or mdx tho... thats just me...

Cool thanks for the input guys. I came across one that is a manual and 4 wheel drive that I'm going to look at.

Back